Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage first names no longer in use today or not popular anymore

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
Completely & utterly :eek:fftopic: my Mother wanted to name me Inez, but my Father was dead set against it. I wish she stood her ground, its a lovely name.

He may have been acting in what he thought was your best interest. Odd or old names for kids can sometimes lead to bullying. My mother wanted to name me Crystal, after the country western singer and my father wanted to name me Blue (I actually really like that), but my Grandma said, no, give her a simple name that she can live with and so I ended up with Faith. Thor knows, though, I think I would have preferred Inez, too!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
He may have been acting in what he thought was your best interest. Odd or old names for kids can sometimes lead to bullying. My mother wanted to name me Crystal, after the country western singer and my father wanted to name me Blue (I actually really like that), but my Grandma said, no, give her a simple name that she can live with and so I ended up with Faith. Thor knows, though, I think I would have preferred Inez, too!

You're probably right, instead I got saddled with dull old "Lisa". There's nothing stopping me changing my name by deed poll though.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
My daughter's second name is Inez, her first is Meghan

Meghan after my mother who was named Margaret, It comes from the Persian for "teardrops of the sun", which was the name for a pearl

angeljenny

A-List Customer
My grandparents:

Norman
Winifred
Edward
Violetta

Really like Violetta - hate my own name so much! I would have liked a nicer name like Kitty, Millicent, Tabitha Harriet or Hermione. Basically any name but mine!

Warden

One Too Many
We have just called our new baby on his official paperwork ‘Edward’, but in reality we call him Bertie. We thought he might have a hard time growing up being called Bertie, thus he has the opportunity to call himself Edward, Ed or Teddy later in life. Mind you the name Bertie has been universally approved of, so maybe we worried unnecessarily.

adouglasmhor

Familiar Face
I had an uncle named Euan (pron. you-an), born in the late 30's or so, an aunt Lurline. My maternal grandmother was named Inez and I have met a younger Inez apart from her

My daughter when she was younger went to a Catholic primary school with over 600 students, there wasn't a single Mary or Joseph amongst them

My brother named his son Edward, so he could call him Ned

I have a brother called Euan. It and it's spelling variants are relatively common here, Ewan, Ewen. It's just Scottish Gaelic for Owen which is Welsh for John.

You were almost named after Crystal Gayle? That's awesome!

They could have compromised and named you Blue Crystal.

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
I am serious, and don't call me Shirley

No fans of Airplane! (Also called "Flying High") or Leslie Nielson? Never mind

I've never seen it in it's entirety, but definitely know that line.

A day or two ago I helped out a gentleman whose given name is Zane.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's been a long time since I knew anybody named "Lemuel." The only famous Lemuels I can think of were Gulliver and Stoopnagle, neither of whom seem to inspire the reverence necessary for people to name their kids after them.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A lady I've been courting and I were talking baby names and decided on Tom, Harold, Beulah, and Edna as our top picks.
Hi Tom

My grandmother's neighbor was named Edna. She died around 1985 in western Illinois. She wore flower patterned dresses, had blue hair, wore sensible shoes, smoked, drank beer, cursed like a sailor and watched "Wrasslin' at the Chase" (Chase-Park Plaza Hotel in Saint Louis) on the TV. She and the old coot (Curt) that roomed with her came over to my grandparents and played Pinochle every Saturday Night for years. They didn't play for money, they played for blood.

Since I have "Porkie's" and "Porkie's the Next Day" on DVD, I wouldn't name a kid Beulah anymore.

Later Y'all

My great-grandmother on Dad's, Dad's side was named Edna. She was tough as nails. Her and my Great-Grandpa married in 1924, if memory serves me. Gramps was a saint with a ton of patience and kind as the day is long. Grandma Edna had that mean 'Rosenow' blood in her. They were quite a pair.

Hi Tom

My grandmother's neighbor was named Edna. She died around 1985 in western Illinois. She wore flower patterned dresses, had blue hair, wore sensible shoes, smoked, drank beer, cursed like a sailor and watched "Wrasslin' at the Chase" (Chase-Park Plaza Hotel in Saint Louis) on the TV. She and the old coot (Curt) that roomed with her came over to my grandparents and played Pinochle every Saturday Night for years. They didn't play for money, they played for blood.

Since I have "Porkie's" and "Porkie's the Next Day" on DVD, I wouldn't name a kid Beulah anymore.

Later Y'all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou