Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Vintage" foods that are still with us today.

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
That's not a chicken pie its what i know as cornish pasty...

Kassia, that's funny because they had Cornish Pastry on the menu and I passed it up because it didn't sound pie-like enough for my craving. My odd little dish of chicken gravy with phyllo just made me sad.

Miss Neecerie, thank you so much for the recommendation! My poor little freezer will be stuffed with pies (I'm not even going to consider the possibility of outgrowing my pants, either.)

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
Haversack said:
It is worth keeping in mind that during the Golden Age, chicken was not the cheap meat it has become today. (in both the economic and quality sense). It was a special treat to have chicken for dinner. The old expression of "chicken every Sunday" was a way of saying you were doing well.

Haversack.
When I was growing up in the 1930's and 1940's, we had chicken pretty often as it was cheap. You just went out to the chicken yard, picked a couple of nice pullets or fryers, and wrung their necks. Or, selected a nice big fat hen to be roasted. For beef and some pork (such as sausage), you went downtown to the freezer locker (a building where you rented freezer lockers for your frozen meats (there was no such thing as frozen veggies then). Home freezers were very rare, if available at all. Also, small town and rural electricity was not very reliable. Everything was wrapped in white butcher paper and labeled. However, steak was not high on the list of menu items, other than round steak, especially used for chicken fried steak or salisbury steak. We also often had beef roast. Other pork such as hams and bacon were stored in the smoke house. Reason for hams and bacon - doesn't need to be refrigerated if properly preserved in a smoke house. In my family, we butchered our own stock, or sometimes had it butchered. As an aside and probably off topic, we had a cellar full of home canned vegetables, meat, preserves, etc. I suspect you could have fed a good sized town for about a hundred years from the supply. Each year when the new canning was put in the cellar, the oldest year was given away or eliminated.

Bill Taylor

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
I'm not ashamed to admit that I actually like Spam. Scoff if you must, but fried up in a skillet and served with scrambled eggs, it makes a very tasty breakfast for a cold winter morning. And if you really want to get ambitious/if you're really desperate, glaze it up with a brown-sugar/spicy mustard blend and bake it in the oven -- it makes a very nice substitute for ham. (One year we even had a Baked Spam for Thanksgiving!)
I loooove Spam, especially fried. With eggs, fried sunny side up. With Ketsup and LOTS of Louisiana Hot Sause. We ate lots of Spam during WWII. Whatever is in it, it wasn't rationed, or at least, if if was, you got a lot of it for few stamps.

Bill Taylor

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I think I can safely say I've never eaten SPAM. I consider that to be a good thing. :p Of course, they seem to love it in many foreign countries, so go figure!

When I was little I read in the Little House books about "fried apples 'n' onions". My mother, always obliging in the cooking department, let us try it one day. IIRC, it wasn't too bad, but it wasn't mouth-wateringly delicious, either. If you caramelize the onions, it's not such an odd pairing as you might think. (This dish would've been 1860s-1870s "vintage", but my guess is some would have still eaten it in the Golden Era.)

DNO

One Too Many
Mmmmm...vintage foods that I still enjoy. Corned beef hash, liver and onions, Melton Mowbray pie with a good sour dill, a good chicken pot pie, tourtiere...can't be beat.

russa11

One of the Regulars
Here is one that I am glad never went away:

Moxie_logo.jpg

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
How far back does the fried breakfast as we know it extend? Early 20th, or is it Victorian?

See this analysis of a 1762 painting of a tavern interior. Notice the gent in the black coat and hat, being served a plate of ham and eggs by a pretty waitress.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Can we add pineapple upside down cake to the list? I made one a while back and when I told some friends the older ones said "I haven't had pineapple upside down cake in years" the young ones said "what is a pineapple upside down cake?" I was surprised.

upload_2016-1-18_23-56-20.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21