Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Vintage" foods that are still with us today.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
As a Jersey boy, I'm fully on the Scrapple bandwagon. YUM! Grew up on that, as well as pork roll, lebanon bologna, steamer dogs, etc. My great-grandfather used to eat skunk. Anything that wandered into the yard was fair game. Blech.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LocktownDog said:
... My great-grandfather used to eat skunk. Anything that wandered into the yard was fair game. Blech.

I bet skunk would be the devil to clean and dress. :eek:

Rachael

A-List Customer
you just have to know which parts to look out for, I would imagine. My grandfather brought home porcupine once; it made very good sausage and we got to keep the quills.

oh, and my grandmother also warned me about watching her make sausage. I learned how to dress fish instead.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My grandfather Dobson used to trap possums in a gum and keep them in a cage for several weeks prior to killing them. he would feed them vegetable scraps, and said that it would "clean them out".

While possum isn't bad (not like all the jokes you hear), I never really liked eating them.

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
The genuine article is made only with lard crust, big chunks of potatoes, thick slices of carrots, a dense white gravy, and big chunks of chicken,

Lizziemaine, that's just the way I like my chicken pie! I ordered chicken pie out here in CA and it was basically a dish of gravy with scattered chunks of chicken and a puff of phyllo dough on the top. Is my karma that bad that I was served this dish?! Surely, this is not chicken pie by any definition.

warbird

One Too Many
Kassia said:
Never mind the history what the heck is it? Sounds like an oxy-moron to me!!
Yes i am from the north.. Canada as a matter of fact but have no idea how you'd chicken fry anything...

Chicken fried steak is what we refer to pound steak. Its been pounded to where it's flat nearly and tenderized. Then it is battered like fried chicken would be and cooked on a skillet with hot oil, some deep fry it, but most don't. Then it's covered in white gravy or chicken gravy.

MMM mmm good. And healthy too. ;)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lola Getz said:
Lizziemaine, that's just the way I like my chicken pie! I ordered chicken pie out here in CA and it was basically a dish of gravy with scattered chunks of chicken and a puff of phyllo dough on the top. Is my karma that bad that I was served this dish?! Surely, this is not chicken pie by any definition.

are you in So Cal Lola?

If so I have a recommendation....

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Nash Buckingham said:
Lolita, that smile just fried my bacon - - I'm heading to the diner right away!

If you say pork is o.k. I'll believe it

It's a tasty treat! You should definitely head on over. Good eatin's!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lola Getz said:
Yes Miss Neecerie, is there good chicken pie to be had out here? If so, color me happy!

Moffetts
1409 S Baldwin Ave
Arcadia, CA 91007
(626) 447-4670

Go eat there once....but after that....they do also sell uncooked pies frozen and just chilled.

they are the smaller personal ones..but still -really- yummy...and their whole dinner is super cheap for how much you get...its salad, pot pie, veggies, mashed potatoes, and a slice of pie and you get bread too!

We tend to get a whole dinner to go and eat at home..

but if you are further from there....the uncooked option for future baking is great.

reviews are here: http://www.openlist.com/arcadia-ca_chicken-pie-shoppe-moffets/92611807/

Selentino

One of the Regulars
BK, Your bacon pic looks more like our cottage bacon, does anyone know if it is the same. I think cottage bacon may come from the shoulder of the pig. It is mostly meat and taste more like ham and we love it in my house.
Oh and I still buy Spam as a staple.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Funny about Spam though in WWII we brought it to the Brits and the Hawaiians and they loved it. I understand they still love it. I have Hawaiian friends who tell me they serve SPAM in some 5 star restaurants. In an article years ago I read how Hormel I believe found a WWII vintage can. It was opened and the contents were still good ! When I go Shooting I usually try to bring WWII era food. I usually bring Roast or Corn Beef Hash, Bully Beef, Spam, crackers and canned fruit.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Lola Getz said:

That's not a chicken pie its what i know as cornish pasty... No dough on the bottom only on the top...

Kassia

One of the Regulars
olive bleu said:
You need some Haggis, that'll fix ya up;)

No thanks i'll pass on the haggis too!!
Now of course we Canadians have a few odd foods too...
Take poutine for example... It's something i am never going to try either..

olive bleu

One Too Many
Kassia said:
No thanks i'll pass on the haggis too!!
Now of course we Canadians have a few odd foods too...
Take poutine for example... It's something i am never going to try either..

that's funny...I had poutine for supper tonight:) What's not to love about fries w/ gravy and cheese? yum.

just to clarify..i really do NOT only eat greasy fried foods.:) I also eat cake.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was in the hospital in Montreal a few years back, I paid someone to smuggle in a plate of take-out poutine for me -- nothing in my life has ever tasted so good, and just thinking about it now makes me crave it again. It's without doubt one of the great contributions of the twentieth century to world gastronomy. And also to my pot belly.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Now I'm hungry

Big Man said:
Sorry, but I'd have to disagree with you on that one. :)

In the South (actually, I believe it's rather regional to this part of NC) we have livermush. I believe livermush and what up north is called scrapple is basically about the same thing. I like my livermush fried up real good. It's good for breakfast with eggs, or like we had last night, for supper with fried potatoes and onions.

Growing up on a farm in VA, we actually butchered our own hogs and had salt-cured VA hams hanging from the rafters in the 2nd floor of the smokehouse. Once the hogs were butchered, the edible bits that had not been used otherwise were cooked in a big rendering kettle. Once separated from bones etc., the meat was mixed with cornmeal and spices. This was then refrigerated/frozen in rectangular blocks which would eventually be sliced and fried for breakfast. Also known as pon hoss, scrapple is still a staple in farming communities in the Shenandoah Valley of VA. I even had some very good scrapple in the 57 Diner in Philadelphia a few years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112