Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage french cyclist Jacket up for trade

Jacques Terreur

New in Town
Here's what i believe to be an authentic 40's french cyclist jacket. Since it's much too short for me to wear, I'm looking to trade it in for a slightly bigger one. measurements are in the second photo, if anybody is interested, drop me a line and i will send more pics via PM.

Have a good day, everyone!

IMG_20220325_091409.jpg
InkedIMG_20220325_091409_LI.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a Luftwaffe / Hartmann jacket with the epaulets cut off and the nazi chestpatch removed.

Interesting to see that yours is made out of pigskin.
66528CB4-6913-4EDE-AB96-8E273B79F9C7.jpeg

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Are you sure about the pigskin? I have never seen such a leather before, it`s really thin and has those little "pockmarks" all over.
It does look like it. Pigskin features those visible hair pores in groups of three.

I own a pair of peccary gloves which show similar pores:

9D5DBCFF-D36E-4854-AB7A-D698518F7394.jpeg
E8DDD172-26E5-4EC0-A808-3363435B2353.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
By the way, even though your jacket at one point in time featured epaulets and patches, your jacket is still an authentic French cyclist jacket.

Unlike the RAF or the USAF the Luftwaffe never issued official flight gear. Therefore german pilots sourced their own jackets. French cyclist jackets apparently suited their needs. They simply added epaulets and patches to this civilian style jacket.

Chris Oberdorfer

New in Town
Unlike the RAF or the USAF the Luftwaffe never issued official flight gear. Therefore german pilots sourced their own jackets. French cyclist jackets apparently suited their needs.
That's not true. The Luftwaffe (or their suppliers)started around 1940 with the production of the so called "Kanaljacke", there were several different versions like a light cloth 'summer' jacket, first in white later in blue, followed by fleece lined winter versions in cloth or leather, and finally in late 1943 there was introduced the so called "Reichsverteidigungsjacke" (part of a complete set includes jackets and trousers), a leather jacket that was produced for fighter pilots only and often worn by the first jet fighter pilots.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
That's not true. The Luftwaffe (or their suppliers)started around 1940 with the production of the so called "Kanaljacke", there were several different versions like a light cloth 'summer' jacket, first in white later in blue, followed by fleece lined winter versions in cloth or leather, and finally in late 1943 there was introduced the so called "Reichsverteidigungsjacke" (part of a complete set includes jackets and trousers), a leather jacket that was produced for fighter pilots only and often worn by the first jet fighter pilots.
I stand corrected. But the hartmann jacket was not issued by the military right? These were commercially purchased by pilots AFAIK.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I'm very interested in buying this. If you would ever consider selling instead of trading, please let me know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran