Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage(?) Glass Christmas Ornaments

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone know how to date glass ornaments? I bought these today from an estate that had both old and new Christmas ornaments mixed together in a box. I was thinking these might be 1950's, but I'm not sure!

ornaments.jpg

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
One other Christmas item to ask any possible experts: Do you have any idea what the things on the back of the stand-up Santa are about?

santa1.jpg

santa2.jpg

I'm wondering if it was once attached to something. Maybe it was the front of a plastic candy container?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Nice stuff PrettySquareGal! I'm no expert but I'd guess late 50's/early 60's on both items. I've no idea what that things on the back of Santa are for--I hope someone else does though because now I'm intrigued!

I actually used up an old Pier 1 gift certificate yesterday and bought a glass ornament christmas wreath for my door. I can't believe they have holiday stuff out already but it gets earlier every year. The vintage stuff is infinately nicer, you were lucky to find those things.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! I hope you're right about my ornaments being old! I would hate to see them new in a box at Tar-jey. I see a lot of Christmas things at the sales I attend, but mostly newer QVC-ish type stuff.

When will you hang your wreath? :)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Very nice, PSG! I also think that Santa did double duty: He could stand alone or was attached to something. The posts on the back would have held it out from whatever he was attached to, either because it was narrower than he or bushy (such as a wreath). Whatever the case, it looks like he has a serious case of dandruff on his right shoulder. :D

I don't have pictures, but my mother has a couple ornaments that still have their "Made in Occupied Japan" tags on them. I'll see about photographing them when they're brought out in a couple months. :D

Lee

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I love your Santa! I have a weakness for vintage dimestore Christmas ornaments & Santas and I know I'm not the only FL'er that does. When I unpack my misfit Santa collection closer to the holidays, I'll have to post pictures. I love vintage, dimestore Santas and holiday decorations.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
BeBopBaby said:
I love your Santa! I have a weakness for vintage dimestore Christmas ornaments & Santas and I know I'm not the only FL'er that does. When I unpack my misfit Santa collection closer to the holidays, I'll have to post pictures. I love vintage, dimestore Santas and holiday decorations.

Misfit Santas??? Oh how fun!

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I'm not an expert, but the best way to date old ornaments is by the figuring out what sort of top they have. (That would be the part where the hanger is attached- metal, plastic or glass.) Some even are stamped with the manuf. and the country of origin. Usually metal and glass tops are older, and of course plastic tops are newer (60s & up). I'm sure there is a collector's handbook out there somewhere.

I recently purchased yet more vintage ornaments at a rummage sale. I just really like the look of them, even if they are a little tarnished and worn. To me the hand-painted and timeworn ones just have so much charm! I have been decorating my tree vintage exclusively for the last several years and usually have more ornaments than fit on a good-sized tree, so I just fill glass bowls and use them as centerpieces.

100_0701.jpg

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Sweet Leilani, thank you. And that's a lovely picture! I like the idea of glass ornaments in a bowl. I was even thinking of doing that with old multicolored tree light bulbs that I got from a yard sale!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
PrettySquareGal said:
One other Christmas item to ask any possible experts: Do you have any idea what the things on the back of the stand-up Santa are about?

I'm wondering if it was once attached to something. Maybe it was the front of a plastic candy container?
Looks like they are nothing more than convenient handles to pull the completed plastic santa out of it's mold? [huh] The 4 rounded protuberances look like gates that receive the injected plastic into a 2 part mold. Probably nothing more exciting than that, sorry. :D

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
He used to hold suckers or lollipops! He is a good piece, hard to find, and was probably made by a company called Rosbro in the 50s. Your lovely ornaments could have been in the 50s, 60s or early 70s...doesn't matter, though, because they are really nice ones!

Your sucker holder is a really good find and I am jealous!! :D

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
RedHotRidinHood said:
He used to hold suckers or lollipops! He is a good piece, hard to find, and was probably made by a company called Rosbro in the 50s. Your lovely ornaments could have been in the 50s, 60s or early 70s...doesn't matter, though, because they are really nice ones!

Your sucker holder is a really good find and I am jealous!! :D

Oh sweet! I actually have four of them. :D Thanks for the info!

Foofoogal

Banned
Shiny Brite is one name on vintage ornaments that people collect. The name will be on top.
I collect little Christmas figurines like by Lefton, Napco, Japan, Josef and more. I also have a big thing for sheer Christmas aprons with sequins etc. My goal is to have my whole Christmas done in vintage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner