Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Hat question---Flowers

Goodie2Shoes

New in Town
Does anyone know how to steam the flowers on vintage hats or even if they are just single for that matter. I hear it perks them up and doesn't make the hat so old. I was just wondering if there's a special process...

Thanks!!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Goodie2Shoes said:
Does anyone know how to steam the flowers on vintage hats or even if they are just single for that matter. I hear it perks them up and doesn't make the hat so old. I was just wondering if there's a special process...

Thanks!!

I just steamed a 50s straw cartwheel hat and a wool 40s fedora because they had gotten a little wrinkled up. I was really pleased with the results of both. It really freshened up the fabric and the ribbons on the hats. One thing to be aware of when you steam a hat is to not steam it too much, you don't want to loose the shape of the hat. I stuffed my hats with tissue paper and placed them over a bowl while I steamed them so they wouldn't loose their shapes. I let them sit perched on the bowl until they dried completely, I didn't want to place them mon a hard surface and have the counter misshape the brims.

I used one of those scunci steamers that you see advertised for cleaning. I use the steamer on my hats and fabrics too delicate to iron. It gets a much better steam than those cheap fabric steamers that never really seem to work. I've also known people to steam their hats over tea pots of boiling water.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Grazie!!

I was looking forward to hearing the answer to this one. I've been wondering the same thing!

Thanks especially for the bit about steaming over a tea kettle. It looks like that's what I'm going to do since I don't have a steamer. It's one of those things I want to invest in at some point. It's good to know I can do it without one!!

Joie

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Joie DeVive said:
Thanks especially for the bit about steaming over a tea kettle. It looks like that's what I'm going to do since I don't have a steamer. It's one of those things I want to invest in at some point. It's good to know I can do it without one!!

Joie

Just be careful with your hands, its easy to burn them when you're holding something over a kettle.

My iron also has a really good steamer on it. You could try holding the iron above, but not touching, the hat and shoot steam at it that way.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
BeBopBaby said:
Just be careful with your hands, its easy to burn them when you're holding something over a kettle.

My iron also has a really good steamer on it. You could try holding the iron above, but not touching, the hat and shoot steam at it that way.

Good points. Thanks!
I do burn myself in the kitchen enough the way it is! lol

I have the steam function on my iron too, though I'm not sure how effective it is yet. It's a new iron, and I haven't used the steam yet, as I have to buy bottled water here to avoid serious mineral deposits. I would guess it is average in capability.
That being said, in your opinion, which do you think is more effective, the kettle or the iron?

Joie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24