Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Hercules Halfbelt Sz 40

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Friends,

I've had this excellent Hercules Halfbelt for about a year. Terry dated it early to mid 1950's. The leather is light and very pliable. Everything functions well. The wear and general look is fantastic.

Perhaps I have too much respect for its age, but I tend to treat it too preciously and reach for other jackets instead. Since I prefer to wear and not just collect jackets (nothing against it if that's your preference), I would like to move it on to someone who will get more enjoyment out of it.

The hide is horse, dark brown with reddish hues. Overall the condition is excellent. However there are the expected wear marks etc throughout. There is a small hole on the back right sleeve in the high wear area between the elbow and wrist. I have not conditioned the leather, and the collar and shoulder show some dryness. The right cuff button is cracked but still functions.

The liner is red nylon. It makes for easy on and off, and layering is quite easy.

I'm not an expert on vintage so please ask me questions about things I haven't discussed.

This is the link to my review when I got the jacket with several outdoor lighting pics: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vintage-sears-hercules-halfbelt.100905/

The measurements are approx:
Chest: 22”
Sleeve: 24”
Back: 26”
Shoulder: 19”

Asking $500 shipped in the USA.
Willing to ship elsewhere at the additional cost. Prefer PayPal F&F.

Unlike my other sales, I don't plan to post to ebay in the near future. If you're more comfortable buying there please send me a message.

Last edited:

Mrfrown

One Too Many
89C9683F-B4C5-4D43-AD6F-1C80C5E1FFE7.jpeg
4349F80C-3F9F-4D37-A012-2CD617919726.jpeg
0690D3D6-531C-48FE-9880-29005DF80645.jpeg
A25BF27F-F472-477A-8D9D-72EA819F77FA.jpeg
DF10953F-5D69-48CC-971A-72B706C5F4A3.jpeg
64879153-1998-49C4-8BEF-AAD6B36D3B7E.jpeg
F221EB73-B320-441F-9E15-B6927100E3AA.jpeg

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Great Jacket! Nice size too for a 40. Those cuffs are indeed curious....... If this was my size this would be a PM....

GLWS!!! Long Live the HERCs!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrfrown

One Too Many
@Marc mndt I’m not sure.

But knowing myself, if wearing it is something that I have to force myself to do, I’ll be happier moving it on rather than fighting it.

Thanks for your perspective.

Last edited:

Claybertrand

One Too Many
@Marc mndt I’m not sure.

But knowing myself, if wearing it is something that I have to force myself to do, I’ll be happier moving it on rather than fighting it.

Thanks for your perspective.

I strongly agree with Marc........its really a great fairly rare vintage piece with a perfect fit in excellent condition and an increasing value (I believe). This kind of fit with a true vintage jacket is almost as rare as the jacket itself (at least, for me). Might be something to hang onto as a collector type of piece that you wear sparingly. You don't see these come around very often and I tend to think their prevalence on the market will only decrease while their value increases. Once gone, this is not something you could easily latch back onto like an Aero or something else in current or more recent production if you had a hankering for one down the line.

More of my totally unsolicited opinion: I really think you need to fight the good fight and force yourself to wear or at least keep this baby. This is a beautiful jacket. Dare I say brother, that you seem to be acting WAYYYYYY TOO RATIONAL for this forum!!;)

If this was my size, I'd almost feel guilty taking it off your hands. ALMOST o_O

Fedora Lounge Peer Pressure officially IN FULL EFFECT:cool:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This is a rather nice Hercules half-belt, not run of the mill. This is My favorite pocket configuration which seems to be eclipsed by the Sponge Bob Square Pockets. The jacket has a very "pre-war" execution. The side adjustments were often replaced with the gather sides by the 1950s. This lining is most often seen in jackets from the early 50s.

Catalog jackets get fairly simple by the 50s, this one has the classic "Old School" look of the 40s. I do not know the maker of this jacket, but this is a high quality Hercules. Not all of them were.

Looks like this could be a size 42?

1950 Sears Catalog

32101_B018018-00492oo.jpg
32101_B018018-00492.jpg

Claybertrand

One Too Many
This is a rather nice Hercules half-belt, not run of the mill. This is My favorite pocket configuration which seems to be eclipsed by the Sponge Bob Square Pockets. The jacket has a very "pre-war" execution. The side adjustments were often replaced with the gather sides by the 1950s. This lining is most often seen in jackets from the early 50s.

Catalog jackets get fairly simple by the 50s, this one has the classic "Old School" look of the 40s. I do not know the maker of this jacket, but this is a high quality Hercules. Not all of them were.

Looks like this could be a size 42?

1950 Sears Catalog

View attachment 351809 View attachment 351808

This is the first time I realized that most of the chest pockets in the various jacket offerings were touted as "Humidor Pockets" with the smaller horizontal chest pockets for "cigarettes or change"...... I know that obviously, tobacco use was mainstream back then. These old catalog ads are more evidence of this. Interesting that the Surcoat is marketed toward Cigar Smokers while the shorter jackets are for cigarette smokers. These days they'd all be "Smart" Phone pockets....

Claybertrand

One Too Many
@tmitchell59

Terry, what can you tell us about the strange reverse cuff configuration that is opposite of the way most cuffs button. The catalog shows was appears to be traditional cuffs. Mr. Frown's jacket has the cuffs reversed as to how they button. I haven't seen this really on ANY jackets much less Hercules jackets. What do you think???

Mrfrown

One Too Many
I talked with Terry and got some advice about this listing.

The price is now $425 shipped CONUS, at cost elsewhere

He suggested I list it as size 40/42. I can't change the title or original post, but please check out the measurements.

Thanks

Claybertrand

One Too Many

Pretty sure this is too small for you Tony. It would be a size or two too small for me....... I think this would fit like that one you had that you wanted to maybe replace the zipper on but decided to keep it as is. You eventually moved on from it........ Now you COULD maybe just give it a test drive and try to move it if it doesn't work out for ya.....

Just my impression on the size. Not tryin to spend or unspend your funds for you bro!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points