Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Home Appliances Money Out The Window?

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
According to various sources including, Natural Resources Defense Council, major appliances in your home -- refrigerators, clothes washers, dishwashers, air conditioners-- account for a big chunk of your monthly utility bill. And if your refrigerator or washing machine is more than a decade old, you're spending a lot more on energy than you need to.

Additionally, today's major appliances don't hog energy the way older models do because they must meet minimum federal energy efficiency standards.

Moreover, it is asserted that today's appliances are better for the environment.

Assuming this is true; would you still choose vintage over today's models?

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
I'll have to go with "sometimes" true on appliances. For quite a few years, I had access to all kinds of electrical meters, etc. because I worked quality control in manufacturing, so might as well test things at home. Our relatively new chest freezer didn't pull the amperage that our 50+ year old chest freezer from my grandma used -- but the old freezer had so much better insulation that it did not cycle as much, thus total cost was pretty close. With air conditioning, though, new units are far superior, as are most if not all refrigerators regarding energy use.

Easiest is just buy a new refrigerator or whatever and then build a vintage unit over the top of it. We've done this with all kinds of things. Not perfect, but very close. If nothing else, if there's a problem it is generally possible to get parts. With true vintage, you will sometimes find yourself out in the garage trying to make something that nobody's seen for thirty years.

Unfortunately, the other side is that new appliances are often coming with so much circuitry that it takes three laptop computers and a satellite uplink to fix one, making the vintage "motor and two rubber belts" unit a far better deal. Here's the new high efficiency freezer that lasts six or seven years and the compressor burns up --- meanwhile, grandma's 50 year old freezer is just running and running....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Depends on how you define "vintage." Generally speaking the "vintage" appliances considered in these studies are those manufactured in the 1970s and 1980s, and those devices definitely use more energy than either those manufactured today, or those manufactured before the 1950s. This is especially true of refrigerators, where automatic defrost systems, large freezer compartments, water dispensers, ice makers, and other ancillary features account for a great deal of extra energy consumption.

A definitive study of energy consumption comparing modern refrigerators with those of varying vintages can be found here. As can be seen from the chart, the most energy-wasting units are those from the 1980s and 1990s -- and manual-defrost units predating the mid-fifties are substantially more energy efficient than those being manufactured today. This coincides with my own experience with having owned and used a 1945-vintage Kelvinator since 1988. It is, in fact, the only refrigerator I've ever owned -- which means my replacement expenses have been $0 over 21 years.

As far as other appliances are concerned, I don't have a dishwasher, an air conditioner or a dryer, so I can't comment on those. But I do find that using a wringer washer has substantially reduced my water consumption compared to what it was when I had an automatic machine, and my light bill went down about $10 a month when I made the switch. So my answer to the original question would be obvious there. I'll stick with well-maintained vintage appliances -- and my very small carbon footprint -- any day.

Carlisle Blues

^
^
Your study and most studies will only go back 20, 30 or so years, not 1945.

It may run fine but is it energy efficient?? Does it qualify as an Energy Star appliance? Does it matter?

This is a quote from energystar.gov.. "Protect the environment. Nearly 70% of U.S. electricity is generated with coal and natural gas, which release greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere and contribute to global warming. ENERGY STAR qualified refrigerators use less energy and help us reduce our impact on the environment."

Does this matter to the vintage dedicated crowd?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
^
^

It may run fine but is it energy efficient?? Does it qualify as an Energy Star appliance? Does it matter?

This is a quote from energystar.gov.. "Protect the environment. Nearly 70% of U.S. electricity is generated with coal and natural gas, which release greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere and contribute to global warming. ENERGY STAR qualified refrigerators use less energy and help us reduce our impact on the environment."

Does this matter to the vintage dedicated crowd?

Yes.....and no.

IF i were buying a new appliance...sure I would want something more energy efficient.

But why would I replace something that is -working- and have it go to the landfill....That also uses resources, as does the manufacturing, transport, etc of a new appliance does. And if I can -use- someone else's old appliance, that's one less thing in the landfill.

If someone has fewer electric appliances overall, (as I know Lizzie does and many others here as well) then the modern 'large screen tv, surround sound stereo, tv in every room modern household, then they are making a difference there as well.

Many modern appliances that remain plugged in are in a 'maintenance mode', even when you are not using them. That clock in your coffee maker, even some toasters, are all using power even when you think they aren't.

Turning off lights, etc...-also- saves coal, but people tend to forget that part of it.

I think it is less about having 'approved' appliances and much more about being actually aware of things, that makes a difference.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Carlisle Blues said:
^
^

Actually, if you check the study I cited, you'll note that it was done in 1995, and the oldest units tested were 55 years old at the time -- or 1940 models.

As I mentioned in another thread, I actually measured the energy use of my fridge some time ago, and found that it uses about 675 kwh a year, which puts it in line with Energy Star standards. It'd be even more so when I get around to replacing the door gasket, which I may do this winter.

Carlisle Blues

LizzieMaine said:
Actually, if you check the study I cited, you'll note that it was done in 1995, and the oldest units tested were 55 years old at the time -- or 1940 models.

As I mentioned in another thread, I actually measured the energy use of my fridge some time ago, and found that it uses about 675 kwh a year, which puts it in line with Energy Star standards. It'd be even more so when I get around to replacing the door gasket, which I may do this winter.

The study is VINTAGE compared to today's technology and outdated.

Recycling is the preferred option not landfill.

A small carbon footprint????? Theoretically it is wasteful and harms the environment is the name of anything "vintage" that is acceptable???

Miss 1929

Have your cake and eat it too...

Luckily, manufacturers are beginning to understand that while we want new-style efficiency, we want old style...

retro-refrigerator-smeg-fab-retro-fridge.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 said:
Luckily, manufacturers are beginning to understand that while we want new-style efficiency, we want old style...

oh he knows that...he is just trying to start a 'see you all are so 'fixated on being vintage' that you are ignoring all these environmental truths....argument. All while he ignores when people state they have tested their appliances and found them within modern guidelines of course.....no sense ruining a good fight with actual facts.

;)

Pretty silly thing for a 'we like old things' board....

Carlisle Blues

Miss Neecerie said:
oh he knows that...he is just trying to start a 'see you all are so 'fixated on being vintage' that you are ignoring all these environmental truths....argument. All while he ignores when people state they have tested their appliances and found them within modern guidelines of course.....no sense ruining a good fight with actual facts.

;)

Pretty silly thing for a 'we like old things' board....

Try again I am posed a simple question and sought answer. In Fact if that is what you truly think please move on.

I just replaced a really great KitchenAid Dishwasher in a vintage-y stainless steel finish it has the look I wanted and the efficiency I sought. It is a tax write off and energy savings I wanted.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
Try again I am posed a simple question and sought answer. In Fact if that is what you truly think please move on.

I just replaced a really great KitchenAid Dishwasher in a vintage-y stainless steel finish it has the look I wanted and the efficiency I sought. It is a tax write off and energy savings I wanted.

and you sent a -working- appliance to the landfill?

savings indeed.

and so the deal is....if we don't agree....we are free to move on and not respond? *cough*

Carlisle Blues

LizzieMaine said:
I'd respond if I could figure out what the heck this sentence means, but then again, I don't want to waste energy.

Lizzie here

Merriam-Webster
Main Entry: carbon footprint
Function: noun
Date: 1999

: the negative impact that something (as a person or business) has on the environment; specifically : the amount of carbon emitted by something during a given period.

In theory newer energy star appliances...Protect the environment.
Nearly 70% of U.S. electricity is generated with coal and natural gas, which release greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere and contribute to global warming. ENERGY STAR qualified refrigerators use less energy and help us reduce our impact on the environment.

Therefore the older models like a 1945 refrigerator leaves a bigger footpriont is that acceptable?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:

Did you READ this, Sir?

Or are you just choosing to ignore.?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
Nope I donated it to those who will be able to use it.

So you really did not -remove- its Carbon Footprint from the world...now did you?

You got it off your tally, but added it to someone Else's count.

That cannot be counted as in any way shape or form, as saving resources.

Carlisle Blues

Miss Neecerie said:
So you really did not -remove- its Carbon Footprint from the world...now did you?

You got it off your tally, but added it to someone Else's count.

That cannot be counted as in any way shape or form, as saving resources.

Ummm yes the local recycling center.....Clearly you are once agian attempting to start a fight...........do it with someone else...........shakeshead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21