Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Knitting!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Hi, the other ladies are right you will find loads of vintage patterns on the web (auction sites etc) and lots of places have free patterns.

Another couple of good ones are http://yesterknits.com and http://ww.whiteliesdesigns.com (White lies do some gorgeous kits from vintage patterns)
I don't know how much of a knitter you are but there are a few things that you may need to keep an eye on..... Needle sizes are different on UK patterns and U.S, they are also different again on vintage patterns.

Also (and more frustratingly) the yarn used in yesteryears was usually a lot finer than it is now. Most sweater patterns used a 2ply or 3ply yarn that was a different gauge to the modern versions. You can find substitution yarns but you need to be aware that the tension and general weight of the yarn needs to be as close as possible, or you may end up with a stiff garment or something that is completely the wrong size.

I may be going on a bit here, but vintage knitting is a great hobby of mine and I am always looking out for good substitute yarns for the old 2/3ply yarns.

I always keep a copy of a fantastic chart I printed off the web in my knitting bag http://http://string-or-nothing.blog-city.com/vintage_yarns.htm. You may find this useful too.

I love to talk knitting..........

Alpine Glamour

New in Town
Hmmm...knitting patterns. I recently bought a knitting magazine from the 40's from ebay Germany. There are tons of dresses, sweaters, even swimwear patterns in there. I would really want to make a whole suit from that magazine, but just the thought of the time it will take is overwhelming. The yarn has to be quite fine and the patterns are delicate, needles not thicker than a 2.5. That will take YEARS to finish...:eusa_booh

Has anybody ever tried using a knitting machine? Could this be the answer to my dilemma?

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
Alpine Glamour said:
That will take YEARS to finish...:eusa_booh

Has anybody ever tried using a knitting machine? Could this be the answer to my dilemma?

I know that knitting on smaller needles sounds difficult, but if you're a quick, or an experienced knitter, it shouldnt be too bad. I learned to knit over 7 years ago, when I got into Civil War reenacting, and the focus of most of my knitting since then has been mid 19th century things, which are far more difficult. You're never given a gauge, the needle sizes then and now are quite different, which requires you to obtain a period needle gauge, sometimes they dont even tell you a needle size: "two ivory needles of the right size"... the types of yarns are different, so you have to work on finding the right yarn... and the needle sizes are almost always a size 3 and below. Currently, I am working on a pair of knitted suspenders for a friend of mine from an 1862 pattern I found in Godeys Ladies magazine that is in a very pretty brioche stitch, knitted with crochet cotton on size 000 needles. Before you cringe: it isnt that bad, really! Except that the steel needles are very small and make my hands cramp after a while... the work has gone by quite quickly. I think the key to knitting things up in a decent period of time is to do what our foremothers would have done: knit every chance you get (idle hands are the devils workshop, after all :) )... anytime I sit down for a second, I take my knitting out and work on it... even if its only a row or two, you're progressing on it. Knit on the bus, knit on the train. When I had a tv, I would knit while I watched it. If someone is driving somewhere, and I'm a passenger, I knit in the car. (I know some people get motion sickness, so they cant, but luckily I dont!) I take my knitting to work with me sometimes, because we get really slow and that certainly helps.
Dont let small needles and yarn scare you off!! :) It isnt as bad as you think!

-Jess

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
AtomicBlonde said:
I know that knitting on smaller needles sounds difficult, but if you're a quick, or an experienced knitter, it shouldnt be too bad. I learned to knit over 7 years ago, when I got into Civil War reenacting, and the focus of most of my knitting since then has been mid 19th century things, which are far more difficult. You're never given a gauge, the needle sizes then and now are quite different, which requires you to obtain a period needle gauge, sometimes they dont even tell you a needle size: "two ivory needles of the right size"... the types of yarns are different, so you have to work on finding the right yarn... and the needle sizes are almost always a size 3 and below. Currently, I am working on a pair of knitted suspenders for a friend of mine from an 1862 pattern I found in Godeys Ladies magazine that is in a very pretty brioche stitch, knitted with crochet cotton on size 000 needles. Before you cringe: it isnt that bad, really! Except that the steel needles are very small and make my hands cramp after a while... the work has gone by quite quickly. I think the key to knitting things up in a decent period of time is to do what our foremothers would have done: knit every chance you get (idle hands are the devils workshop, after all :) )... anytime I sit down for a second, I take my knitting out and work on it... even if its only a row or two, you're progressing on it. Knit on the bus, knit on the train. When I had a tv, I would knit while I watched it. If someone is driving somewhere, and I'm a passenger, I knit in the car. (I know some people get motion sickness, so they cant, but luckily I dont!) I take my knitting to work with me sometimes, because we get really slow and that certainly helps.

-Jess

Golly, that's how I knit, too. I've had to make a conscious effort NOT to pull out my knitting at red lights while I'M driving!! Oh, and I've yet to take it to church with me, but I've taken it to meetings and absolutely relish my daughter's 2 dance classes each week--prime knitting time while I wait. That's one of the reasons I love it so. It takes up so little space (unless you count my stash...), is very portable, can be worked a little at a time, and well, the biggest reason for me might be that it looks cool. I'm shallow, I admit it!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
AtomicBlonde said:
Currently, I am working on a pair of knitted suspenders for a friend of mine from an 1862 pattern I found in Godeys Ladies magazine that is in a very pretty brioche stitch, knitted with crochet cotton on size 000 needles. Before you cringe: it isnt that bad, really! Except that the steel needles are very small and make my hands cramp after a while... the work has gone by quite quickly. I think the key to knitting things up in a decent period of time is to do what our foremothers would have done: knit every chance you get (idle hands are the devils workshop, after all :) )... anytime I sit down for a second, I take my knitting out and work on it... even if its only a row or two, you're progressing on it. Knit on the bus, knit on the train. When I had a tv, I would knit while I watched it. If someone is driving somewhere, and I'm a passenger, I knit in the car. (I know some people get motion sickness, so they cant, but luckily I dont!) I take my knitting to work with me sometimes, because we get really slow and that certainly helps.

-Jess

I couldn't agree more!! I knit in my lunch hour at work and in bed aswell as infront of the TV. This afternoon I wasn't at work so I have been working on a 1949 dolman sweater in fine 4ply wool on 2.75mm needles.
Like Atomicblonde says you just have to keep doing a couple of rows here and there and where ever and it just gradually grows.
What takes up my time is checking my measurments, I mean I'm having in add extra rows between my increases otherwise it's gonna turn out about 2.5 inches to short!!!!!
:eusa_doh:
I am finding it a little distracting this afternoon though as I'm trying to watch Rita Hayworth "Covergirl" at the same time...........those shoes of hers.........

Crookshanks

New in Town
Great idea!

AtomicBlonde said:
Hi ladies,

I've come to discover that having a father who is a packrat can often lead to me getting a few goodies now and then.

I came home yesterday to visit my folks, and was talking about trying to sew some stuff for myself and whatnot... and my dad says "you know, I think I remember years ago finding some sort of knitting books that you might find interesting, they're in the linen cabinet if you want to dig for them."

So, I go digging, and not only do I find a 1943 "LOOK" magazine with instructions on how to draft, sew, and alter your own dress patterns, (just what I need!!) I also find about 7 knitting magazines that range from 1934-1947. Soooooo, I have scanned the covers of 3 of the more interesting ones, and scanned a couple images from each, which can be seen here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jessicagracewise/detail?.dir=9cd1&.dnm=927c.jpg&.src=ph

Since some of the ladies here are interested in knitting, within the next few weeks or so I'm going to see if I can scan all the images, transcribe the patterns, and stick them on a website as a way to sort of share my findings. Some of the dresses and blouses are really pretty, and would be nice to make. The patterns dont seem to be very difficult, although I'm an experienced knitter... however, they seem to cater a little to people with less knitting experience.

Anyway, enjoy the photos, and I'll see about getting some of these patterns up online within the next month or so.

-Jess

Yes, what a great idea! :) I just love the 'blouse and hat' and the 'surplice sweater blouse'. I can't knit myself (yet) but I'll definitely ask a friend to make a 40's sweater for me. It's such a useful garment. It goes very well with a pair of modern blue jeans as well as with a vintage blouse and skirt.

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
AtomicBlonde said:
Hi ladies,

I've come to discover that having a father who is a packrat can often lead to me getting a few goodies now and then.

I came home yesterday to visit my folks, and was talking about trying to sew some stuff for myself and whatnot... and my dad says "you know, I think I remember years ago finding some sort of knitting books that you might find interesting, they're in the linen cabinet if you want to dig for them."

So, I go digging, and not only do I find a 1943 "LOOK" magazine with instructions on how to draft, sew, and alter your own dress patterns, (just what I need!!) I also find about 7 knitting magazines that range from 1934-1947. Soooooo, I have scanned the covers of 3 of the more interesting ones, and scanned a couple images from each, which can be seen here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jessicagracewise/detail?.dir=9cd1&.dnm=927c.jpg&.src=ph

Since some of the ladies here are interested in knitting, within the next few weeks or so I'm going to see if I can scan all the images, transcribe the patterns, and stick them on a website as a way to sort of share my findings. Some of the dresses and blouses are really pretty, and would be nice to make. The patterns dont seem to be very difficult, although I'm an experienced knitter... however, they seem to cater a little to people with less knitting experience.

Anyway, enjoy the photos, and I'll see about getting some of these patterns up online within the next month or so.

-Jess

Finally had time today to take a gander at your scanned goodies---WOW!! I'm going to find it hard to wait patiently for you to get a chance to share the patterns!! But I'll try! Those are so awesome!

Bravo!!

What a wonderful thread ladies! I wanted to start one like it a few months ago but never got a chance. I have a nice collection of vintage knit/crochet patterns from the 40's that belonged to my great-grandmother. My Mom has them right now but she recently sent me the hardcover book called "Complete Guide to Modern Kinitting and Crocheting" by Alice Caroll copyright 1942.
It is wonderful! I have seen it listed on ebay and some used book sites so look around for it. It has instructions and patterns for the entire family. I tried to scan some pics of some of the to-die-for outfits but my scanner puts dots on the photos for some reason. I may just have to take some pictures with my camera. Has anyone ever had any trouble scanning old B&W photos before??

V For Vixen

New in Town
Hi Girls!!

I have literally HUNDREDS of knitting patterns - I recently had a haul of wartime stitchcraft books!! I'm happy to scan them and forward them on to anyone who can use them!!

I'm heartbroken, because I can't knit!! :( If only!!!

Vix
xx

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
I love knitting and I've wanted to knit a period piece forever. But I also know that it's going to be quite a time investment, so I'm waiting until I get down a couple dress sizes so that I can treasure it forever. I love the stuff on yesterknits, it's gorgous.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Knitting a swimsuit?

Has anyone tried knitting themselves a 1930s swimsuit? I've seen tons of knitting patterns for swimsuits, but I've never had the nerve to attempt one before. I'm also wondering what happens to the knitted fabric once it gets wet! I'm imagining some very unattractive (perhaps even indecent!) sagging, not to mention itchy wet wool, heavy wet wool, smelly wet wool...(though I suppose acrylic yarn could be substituted with little ill-effect).

Thoughts? Experiences?

Caledonia

Practically Family
Haven't knitted one yet, but I've got the patterns. My mum knitted my brothers swimming trunks when they were kids. And it's a mystery why! Once wet they stretch to a gazillion times their size and while the waistband stays in place, the leg holes are round your ankles. Might put off knitting one for while :D

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Oh lovely! [cue sarcasm]

Hm, I wonder if it had to do with the kind of yarn she was using. An acrylic would knit up similarly to wool (drape, gauge) I think, but I don't think it would absorb as much water or distort to the same extent as wool or cotton would...Plus, it won't itch like crazy...Hm. Might have to do some test swatches before hand! Which patterns do you have? I don't have a pattern yet, but I'd need one that isn't TOO difficult (I'm not the world's most accomplished needlecrafter, alas).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner