Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage make up for eyeglass wearers

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Does anyone have any tips on how to wear 1930's-1950's make-up for us eyeglasses wearers?

Here are a copule of videos I found on Youtube that give a few make up tips and how to wear vintage eyeglasses, choosing the best frames.

Beautifying where to put the accent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=2Yz4ucqK0xc&NR=1

1950's women's eyeglasses how to choose the right pair http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=LT_5who36wY

Here is a fun Youtube video More Fab 1950's spectacles http://www.youtube.com/user/VintageFashions#p/a/u/0/jybGQOElNQ8

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
Ok, I must admit the 50s-Videos gave me a good laugh. Most of the frames weren´t wearable in my eyes, not now, not then. But I really liked the darker frame in the 30s video.
As I´m wearing a pretty thick black frame and have small eyes I use a little more eyeliner to make them look bigger. But as I´m wearing my glasses every day it´s just my normal routine and I´m not sure if I´d do something different if I had no glasses on.
I think the best way is to try what looks good with the frame you wear and go with it.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Here are acouple of photos I took one with glasses the other without.
With glasses: http://m253.photobucket.com/albumvi...oads/IMG-20120117-00258.jpg.html?o=1&newest=1
Without glasses: http://m253.photobucket.com/albumvi...oads/IMG-20120117-00249.jpg.html?o=0&newest=1
I did the Hedy Lmarr make up from lauren rennells book on vintage make-up http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Makeup-Techniques-Applying-Vintage/dp/0981663923/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2 with the exception of a small beauty mark on the left side next to my lips (I have one already there I just darkened it with eyebrow pencil). I left out the eyeshadow and false eyelashes.

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
I have a tough time being happy with the way I do my makeup when I wear my glasses. I'm extremely nearsighted, so the prescription of the lenses is very apparent and they make my eyes disappear. I feel that it doesn't matter what I do, whether I emphasize the eyes or the lips, it seems that when I look at photos of myself wearing glasses I feel frumpy. What's even more infuriating is that I like the style of my glasses and I don't mind wearing glasses (though I also wear contact lenses over half the time), but I hate the way I look with them!

RD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I've been wearing glasses since I was about 8 years old. I wore contacts briefly in middle school but I never got used to them. To be honest, I've never given a thought to how my makeup is with or without the glasses. I just slap on my makeup and go. Generally speaking, if I'm taking pictures, I take them off but other than that, I don't really care.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Same here. I wear glasses and contacts and i don't really think much about my makeup when wearing either. To be honest i don't really have time to give it much consideration. Just slap on that slap and go!

Investing in some great 50's specs with loads of business and rhinestones was one of my best investments ever, as they really do the talking for me.

I can comiserate with Red Diabla though. I am very shortsighted too. When i do wear my specs, it does make my eyes look smaller. For years when i was younger i hated having pics taken with glasses on. Now at my age, with lines and wrinkles appearing round my eyes, i'm actually glad specs make my eyes look smaller, as it makes the wrinkles look non existent too. Bonus!

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Here is one make-up and hair look I was trying out. The make-up style I did was the broadway make-up from Lauren Rennells make-up book. I just changed the colors. Also for my hair I did a fake bob.
Photo#1 With glasses http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/katia357/?action=view&current=Picture004.jpg My RX makes my eyes look bigger. I am thinking of switching the frames to a vintage set. The frames I am wearing look to modern and square here, to me.
Photo#2 http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/.../katia357/?action=view&current=Picture003.jpg without glasses.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I really like your hair in the faux bob, it suits you :)

I found this youtube clip about fitting 40s glasses to your face shape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgAABJqrOcI&feature=related

I definitely prefer 50s glasses to 40s ones, mostly because I like my eye-wear to make a bit of a statement and 40s glasses were designed to blend in and be as unobtrusive as possible.

I've been wearing glasses a lot lately, my Rayban retro cats eyes (and have just bought my first 50s vintage specs - as posted in the 'on the stigma of an astigmatism' thread). I've not really adapted my makeup to wearing glasses actually. I wear quite strong makeup anyway, usually a mauvish/greyish eyeshadow and eyeliner and strong brows.

Last edited:

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I wear glasses every day (or else I can't see!) I don't change how I do my makeup, though I would wear more if I was going out in the evening. ;0 No matter where I go, I always make sure to do my brows and wear mascara.

01076sm.jpg

X
BD

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I definitely prefer 50s glasses to 40s ones, mostly because I like my eye-wear to make a bit of a statement and 40s glasses were designed to blend in and be as unobtrusive as possible.

Me too! I want my glasses to be a huge statement, as they are the only thing I wear everyday in and out.

BTW, I don't know if I've ever said this or not, but I absolutely love your look. :) You're so stylish.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Here is what my next pair of glasses will be.
http://m253.photobucket.com/albums/...s/?action=view&current=IMG-20120212-00329.jpg
I will need to have the arms lengthened though. When I put these on asis they will not go over my ears. Other then that I absolutely adore these. Hopefully the eye glass shop will be able to ajust the arms.

Me too. The first thing one must not forget. Especially for us eyeglass wearers is to always have neatly groomed/pencled in eyebrows and mascara is a never leave home without. In my book.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I too find it hard to adapt makeup that looks great without glasses, but a bit blah with. I try to make them look bigger with applying my ivory matte eyeshadow on the entire lid and a dab in the inner corner of my eyes too. Also lightening the area over the crease (where I blend a matte chocolate shadow lightly) so that shows too and lightens up the eyes. Otherwise the shadow of the top of the glasses that hit that area, just looks like and extension of my eyeshow in the crease. The key is to get definition in the crease, but not to get too dark and shadowy all over, if that makes sense.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
My makeup is pretty much the same whether I wear my modern eyeglasses or my vintage 40s American Optical ones with vintage garb. Both are a goldtone metal frame. I do not wear colored frames any longer, as at this stage of the game of life- I want my face and eyes to be what people focus on, not my glasses. I try to have the glasses be a neutral element and sort of disappear. *see avatar pic*

As I am nearsighted, the lenses make my eyes look smaller. I wear pencil eyeliner, usually black. Two coats of black mascara, after using an eyelash curler. I am a 'Spring' season, fair but tan with golden freckles, lt. golden (not ash) brown hair naturally. My metal is gold, not silver or copper.

I wear makeup almost every day; tinted moisturizer rather than foundation usually, blush and lip pencil with lipstick.

Last edited:

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I too find it hard to adapt makeup that looks great without glasses, but a bit blah with. I try to make them look bigger with applying my ivory matte eyeshadow on the entire lid and a dab in the inner corner of my eyes too. Also lightening the area over the crease (where I blend a matte chocolate shadow lightly) so that shows too and lightens up the eyes. Otherwise the shadow of the top of the glasses that hit that area, just looks like and extension of my eyeshow in the crease. The key is to get definition in the crease, but not to get too dark and shadowy all over, if that makes sense.

Great idea. Lately I have been using some eyeshadow, too a pink shimmer shade. And noticed it made my eyes look brighter. I am also nearsighted and my glasses tend to make my eyes look big. Right now I am trying out a new shade of lipstick Revelons Lip butter in raspberry pie (crimson) and a nude eyeshadow. Not seeing much of a difference with this shade of eyeshadow. I do see a brightness in my face after using a different color lipstick. Red is a fine color and in the 1930s-1940s there were some beautiful wine and pink shades of lipstick shades, too. I am glad I found this out since wearing the same color make-up all the time for me was boring me. Now this allows me a chance to explore and have fun tring and testing out new colors.

m_luvsartdeco

One of the Regulars
I cant see without my glasses so I wear them everyday so they don't really dictate how I do my makeup :)

Alice~

One of the Regulars
As others have said, I think brows become a lot more important when wearing glasses (especially when the glasses attract attention). I've been quite brow-lazy lately, and thus have stopped wearing my glasses when I probably should. Hopefully my friends don't mind me not recognising them until they're an inch from my face for the sake of my brow-vanity. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner