Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Makeup Favorites

Emblaze

Familiar Face
Boots has some great stuff.

Does anyone know if cold cream is available in the UK? Does it go by another name, maybe? I've never seen anything marketed as cold cream, and I've certainly never seen Ponds brand. I've heard good things about it here and wanted to get my hands on some!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
You can certainly buy cold cream here, and Ponds (cold cream and moisturiser) is sold in Boots and Superdrug. You're probably looking in the wrong sections though as in Boots (I think) it's stocked with the body cream/handcream rather than facial stuff. In Superdrug it's with the more "mature" stuff, I seem to remember it with the Evening Primrose creams, that sort of area. Boots do their own version as well, which is in their "Traditional" range, along with rosewater and thick moisturising creams. I've found both the Ponds and Boots cold creams in even smaller Boots, so I'm sure you'll find some!

Emblaze

Familiar Face
Fleur De Guerre said:
You can certainly buy cold cream here, and Ponds (cold cream and moisturiser) is sold in Boots and Superdrug. You're probably looking in the wrong sections though as in Boots (I think) it's stocked with the body cream/handcream rather than facial stuff. In Superdrug it's with the more "mature" stuff, I seem to remember it with the Evening Primrose creams, that sort of area. Boots do their own version as well, which is in their "Traditional" range, along with rosewater and thick moisturising creams. I've found both the Ponds and Boots cold creams in even smaller Boots, so I'm sure you'll find some!

Oh goody! Thanks Fleur! I'll look more thoroughly next time I go to Boots. :D

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Sure enough, the Target near me carries Boots No. 7 now. I just bought the Radiant Glow concealer, and I am very impressed. It provides good coverage for how light and blendable it is, and it really minimizes my horrid undereye circles. Plus, the packaging is really easy to use. The lighter of the shades is very light, and works well for my skintone. My only criticism is that there are only two shades: light, and lighter. Luckily, one works for me, but Boots really ought to try to include more of the population.

I was sorely tempted to pick up more of the line when I was at Target, but my pocketbook just cannot take the strain right now! :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Grnidwitch said:
Someone, and I think it was JBD, said that you can mix Airpsun with rubbing alcohol and make a pressed powder. Well, guess what, it works like a charm. I have a few vintage compacts for loose powder and they have a few issues. Either they leak or they don't dispense enough powder for my oil slick of a nose. So, last night I cleaned out an eyeshadow compact and mixed up the powder/alcohol and this morning, it's pressed powder and works perfectly. Just thought I would give you ladies the heads up on this.

this is totally what i need. i love loose powder (esp Airspun) but just can't carry it with me - it's waaaay too messy.

is there any particular ratio you use when mixing them? do you mix them in a separate container and then press it into the compact? or do you mix it in the compact? i'm just having a hard time seeing how all this works!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
this is totally what i need. i love loose powder (esp Airspun) but just can't carry it with me - it's waaaay too messy.

is there any particular ratio you use when mixing them? do you mix them in a separate container and then press it into the compact? or do you mix it in the compact? i'm just having a hard time seeing how all this works!

I add just enough alcohol to make a thick paste, press it into the compact, and then let it dry open overnight.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
thanks for the help, Jitterbugdoll! it worked like a charm. i think i'm also going to try it with some of my loose eyeshadows as well - it's just so messy and i always end up wasting a bunch, even if i'm really careful!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
KittyT said:

Kitty,

I just used a small bowl to mix it in. I didn't measure, just eye balled it. I put the powder in the bowl and then started adding the alcohol and kept mixing until I got a putty type consistancy. I had a very small eye shadow compant that I carry with me and then I had a larger compact that had other makeup in it that I also filled and that stays at home. I can't believe how well this worked.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Grnidwitch said:
I just used a small bowl to mix it in. I didn't measure, just eye balled it. I put the powder in the bowl and then started adding the alcohol and kept mixing until I got a putty type consistancy. I had a very small eye shadow compant that I carry with me and then I had a larger compact that had other makeup in it that I also filled and that stays at home. I can't believe how well this worked.

thanks! i ended up using an egg bowl and it was perfect. pressing it was a little messy, but no matter. i'm so glad i can take my pretty compact with my Airspun with me now, especially since i left some makeup (including my MAC compact) at a friend's house and am having one hell of a time recovering it.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
thanks for the help, Jitterbugdoll! it worked like a charm. i think i'm also going to try it with some of my loose eyeshadows as well - it's just so messy and i always end up wasting a bunch, even if i'm really careful!

I am glad it worked for you! I have used the same method for repairing broken pressed eye shadows as well (Besame and MAC; the Besame shadows are so soft that I find they crumble very easily), but find they don't remain quite as stable as they are in their original form. I have also heard others recommend using saline instead of alcohol for products that will be used on your eyes, but I haven't found the alcohol-repaired shadows to be irritating.

Etienne

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
thanks! i ended up using an egg bowl and it was perfect. pressing it was a little messy, but no matter. i'm so glad i can take my pretty compact with my Airspun with me now, especially since i left some makeup (including my MAC compact) at a friend's house and am having one hell of a time recovering it.

Kitty, your avatar is really lovely! May I ask what color and kind of make-up you're wearing in it? (Foundation, blush and lipstick??) Thanks!

Etienne

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Etienne said:
Kitty, your avatar is really lovely! May I ask what color and kind of make-up you're wearing in it? (Foundation, blush and lipstick??) Thanks!

Thank you so much, Etienne! I have very rosy cheeks (and especially so that day), so I'll often use Joe Blasco Red Neutralizer 1 to even it out and get a paler complexion. When I use the neutralizer, I use no foundation over it. Not sure what powder I was using, but I know it was a MAC translucent somethingorother (pretty sure it's Blot Powder in the Light shade :) No blush - I never wear blush, or I look like a clown, and I don't need it! The lipstick is MAC's Rage with Brick lipliner and a touch of Bonne Bell Vitagloss in Sheer Cherry.

Esther May

New in Town
My beauty routine is pretty simple..

-Very light ivory foundation from Shiseido
-Coty airpsun in translucent
-Dandelion blush from Benefit
-Great Lash mascara by Mabelline
-Bo-ing Concealor from Benefit
-Zero Guilt lipstick from Benefit

I just recently purchased Fire & Ice for the first time and when I tried it on at Ulta, it looked pretty decent however, once I got home I thought it is way too orangey for my liking :p

I am very much in love with Zero Guilt however I was wondering if there is a similar color at the drugstore?

Jessica Reinard

Familiar Face
Without sounding pleased, many women have asked me if I wear fake lashes. The answer being no. Lancome L'extreme mascara is my secret. £18 so it's not cheap but boy is it worth it.

It's a fibre based mascara rather than liquid so it adds on visible length to individual lashes.

Before applying mascara use eyelash curlers, and after applying the mascara use a lash comb to seperte them out. The more you put on, the more dramatic the lash. Doesn't flake and looks great. Now you ladies know my secret!

Jojo

New in Town
coty airspun

Today I finally received my coty airspun. I had to buy it on the internet because here in Holland they do not sell the powder.
The one I received was the fragrance free version. It smell great. But because I have no idea how the non fragrance free smells, is there a big difference between them?

roselily

One of the Regulars
Jojo said:
Today I finally received my coty airspun. I had to buy it on the internet because here in Holland they do not sell the powder.
The one I received was the fragrance free version. It smell great. But because I have no idea how the non fragrance free smells, is there a big difference between them?

The scented one makes me sneeze! It's very perfume-y, though the scent does remind me of Grandma (in a good way, of course.)

Sylvanrealm

New in Town
I was thinking of buying some Coty Airspun powder just a few days ago. I have fond memories of my grandmother using it at her vanity. As I looked through the collection I was worried that there wouldn't be anything for my skin tone -- everything looked far too peach and too dark. I've noticed here and at MUA that nearly everyone uses Translucent. That looked a little dark for me, however. I was wondering, has anyone tried the coty powder in Naturelle? It looks lovely, but perhaps just a tad too pale. Do the powders go on lighter than they appear in the container? If that's the case, then maybe Translucent would work.

For reference, I used to wear benefit's Get Even -01. It was just a little too yellow for me, but about light enough.

kerry

One of the Regulars
Hi Ladies, Do any Uk ladies know where I could buy Coty powder in the Uk?
Thanks
Kerryxxx
Ps Happy New Year to you all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana