Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Makeup Favorites

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I need to find one of those compacts you're talking about ITG. I've been carrying some in one of my vintage compacts with the trap door, and it makes a huge mess every time I open it. Plus, I don't really like carrying a vintage compact in my modern everyday purse, as I carry too much extra junk in there and it'll probably get scratched up.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
I'm so thankful to Decodoll for posting the message about the 1935 Coty boxes. Coming across this thread so late, I was sure the stores would be out by now. But I found plenty in stock at both Walgreens and Longs Drugs. Not being low on powder at the moment, tho, I wouldn't have even been out looking if not for Decodoll! Gee, I never realized how boring the regular package is!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Blush/Rouge

There has been alot of discussion on Pan Cake make-up, Besame and Mac lipsticks but there hasn't been that much discussion on blush/rouge. What colors of blush/rouge do you ladies wear with your red lipstick? What colors were worn back in the day? And, do you ladies wear the same colors of blush/rouge and lipstick every day?

I'm still on the hunt for the perfect red lipstick for me. Most turn very bright and garish on me. Revlon reds are all too blue based and they turn bright magenta which doesn't go with my coloring at all. I'm afraid to try Besame because of the heavier weight of the product and the samples I've received were just scary. I'm hoping that once I've found the perfect color of one, finding the perfect color of the other wouldn't be far behind.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I usually reach for Besame Raspberry, a blue-based deep pink shade. Another shade I like is there Crimson--a bright, coral red shade that was very popular in the 1930s-50s. A comparable drugstore shade is Cover Girl Plumberry Glow--it's a little pinker, but has the same effect and can be pulled off by a variety of skin tones.

I always wear red or bright pink shades and generally reach for deep pink rouge with both, though Crimson looks smashing worn with bright red lips.

I don't find Besame lipsticks to be heavy at all (I was a stylist at a photo shoot last weekend and used Besame Red on 9 out of 11 girls with great results.) If you have trouble with reds turning on you, I'd suggest something in the brick category, like MAC Dubonnet. The brownish base prevents it from pulling orange or pink, and I have found that on some gals it actually pulls a lovely, deep red shade, with almost no brown undertone at all.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
jitterbugdoll said:
I usually reach for Besame Raspberry, a blue-based deep pink shade. Another shade I like is there Crimson--a bright, coral red shade that was very popular in the 1930s-50s.

I second both of these colors..and the crimson will last you about 35 years or so...based on the very small amount needed per use.

30 years from now...someone will be paying big bucks on ebay for my 'vintage rouge compact' from Besame...lol

JazzBaby

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
And how! You need about three grains for both cheeks lol But I will the color is flattering on many skin tones if you are careful with its application :)

Would it being a waste of time buying 'Sweet Pink' then? I'm planning a huge amount of Besame purchases in the near future. I'm quite pale, and thought the other two looked a little dark.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You know, I like Sweet Pink but I don't reach for it nearly as much as I do Raspberry. I am extremely pale and Raspberry looks lovely on my skin (the rouge is so pigmented that a little dab will do.) Also, the pale appearance of Sweet Pink is deceiving; it too is very pigmented and builds very fast, offering as much color as the Raspberry, merely in a slightly different (a touch brown-based, so more neutral; Raspberry is has cool blue undertones) shade of pink.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was the stylist at a photo shoot and worked with 11 girls--I used Raspberry on all of them and it was very flattering to a wide variety of skin tones, from fair to very tan.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
You know, I like Sweet Pink but I don't reach for it nearly as much as I do Raspberry. I am extremely pale and Raspberry looks lovely on my skin (the rouge is so pigmented that a little dab will do.) Also, the pale appearance of Sweet Pink is deceiving; it too is very pigmented and builds very fast, offering as much color as the Raspberry, merely in a slightly different (a touch brown-based, so more neutral; Raspberry is has cool blue undertones) shade of pink.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was the stylist at a photo shoot and worked with 11 girls--I used Raspberry on all of them and it was very flattering to a wide variety of skin tones, from fair to very tan.

Thanks Jitterbugdoll. I'll order a few samples first and try them both just to be sure. At the moment I use Cendres de roses brun, by Bourjois (the first ever powder rouge) and it's quite a dark shade, so maybe the Raspberry will suit.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
The samples will last you ages, so it's worth trying a couple of the colors :)

I know I have some lipstick, eyeshadow and foundation samples, and it took me weeks to get through the foundation. The lipstick and eyeshadow look as though they've hardly been touched. I have an proper lipstick too, and the little powder compact, and I really love them. What a great line. If only they did nail polish too, I love to have everything matching on my dressing table!

Kim_B

Practically Family
Grnidwitch said:
I'm still on the hunt for the perfect red lipstick for me. Most turn very bright and garish on me. Revlon reds are all too blue based and they turn bright magenta which doesn't go with my coloring at all. I'm afraid to try Besame because of the heavier weight of the product and the samples I've received were just scary. I'm hoping that once I've found the perfect color of one, finding the perfect color of the other wouldn't be far behind.

I just recently found the perfect shade of red lipstick! Like you, most look very bright and overpowering on me. I took a chance though and tried the Bare Minerals lipstick in Cupid (in my avatar); it goes on like a dream, and last a good amount of time. I apply it with a brush to avoid applying too much, and it looks wonderful (is that ok to say about one's self?!)

texasgirl

One Too Many
Kim_B said:
I just recently found the perfect shade of red lipstick! Like you, most look very bright and overpowering on me. I took a chance though and tried the Bare Minerals lipstick in Cupid (in my avatar); it goes on like a dream, and last a good amount of time. I apply it with a brush to avoid applying too much, and it looks wonderful (is that ok to say about one's self?!)

Absolutely! I've been meaning to say I love your new glasses! And your hair looks fab too!

Miss_Bri

New in Town
So I have several Besame samples now, mostly lipsticks and a few eyeshadows and one rouge...but...I'm ashamed to admit this...I haven't a clue how to use them! I presume little brushes? The pots are so small! And I'm not very good with makeup at all. Does anyone have any tips (or even 'how to apply make-up' websites)?

I'm just dying to try the lipstick shades I got!

(Edited: I'm not completely hopeless. This is just the first time I've gotten makeup that didn't come with a fairly intuitive applicator - or any applicator. :) )

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
So I have several Besame samples now, mostly lipsticks and a few eyeshadows and one rouge...but...I'm ashamed to admit this...I haven't a clue how to use them! I presume little brushes? The pots are so small! And I'm not very good with makeup at all. Does anyone have any tips (or even 'how to apply make-up' websites)?

Use a lip brush for the lipsticks, and a regular eye shadow brush and blush brush for the other samples. Just be sure to tap the product very lightly as it is very pigmented, and the loose powders will grab onto the makeup brush in excess if you are not careful :)

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I thought this might be of interest to some: Dubarry Bloom Cream Cheek Tint Rouge with a very cute 50s looking (old stock?) packaging.
648_pd215673_1.gif

There's also a Powder Cheek Tint:
648_pd215674_1.gif

They also carry Anita D'Fogeds Daydew make-up line which was allegedly Marilyn's choice of foundation!

It's not worthwhile for me to try them because overseas shipping far exceeds the price of the products :(

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I`m going to a LARP set in 1951, Norway, and I always get a thrill if I have the historical correct nick-nacks with me at this events. Right now, I want the perfect make-up bag: I`m not only thinking colors, but the right packaging too! Eyeliners, mascara, lipstick and blush. For foundation I can not cope without mineral make-up, but a cute little powder jar might do the trick.

I would appreciate it if any of you ladies could share the best vintage products with me. It`s best if it can be bought online, and shipped to Norway, and is not too expensive, but every input helps as inspiration!

Thanks!

kerry

One of the Regulars
Hi ladies, Can anyone recommend a good foundation, lightest colour possible as Im quite pale, for 40+ skin. I find a that all the makeup designed for older skin doesnt have much coverage and tends to be either pinky or too dark.
Thanks
Kerry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana