Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Makeup Favorites

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You just pat it on with a puff like the regular powder. Basically, it's like the pressed powder foundations that are fairly popular these days (which are really plain ol' pressed powders, that apply more heavily and can substitute for foundation if you don't need a very heavy coverage), only in a loose powder form. You probably could apply it with a damp sponge (which you can do with pressed powder foundations and mineral foundations), but I haven't tested that method yet :)

I just patted it on in light layers with a puff, and it did cover as well as a liquid foundation. Too bad the color didn't work...

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Annoying problem with Besame lipstick

I know that a lot of you have used Besame products. I am very happy with the powsers, shadows, lipsticks and brushes I have gotten from them.
What I have had happen too many times lately, and it's really annoying is, the covers to all of my lipsticks have come loose. So, when I put them in my bag, the cover falls off and the lipstick either gets smushed or gets all over the contents of my bag. I've already ruined a Gucci wallet because of it. I like the lipstick a lot. It has very long wear. But, not at the expense of ruining the contents and the lining of a bag. I keep it in a little case inside my bag, but it's red, so it still manages to get all over the place.
This is quite a disappointment, because I really like the colors they have.
Anyone else having bad experiences with Besame packaging?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab

Just with the eyeshadow cases. I have had two that were so difficult to open that the shadow inside shattered (after I dropped it; Besame did replace it for me.) A third case won't stay shut unless I stick a piece of paper underneath the clasp :rolleyes:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:
I know that a lot of you have used Besame products. I am very happy with the powsers, shadows, lipsticks and brushes I have gotten from them.
What I have had happen too many times lately, and it's really annoying is, the covers to all of my lipsticks have come loose. So, when I put them in my bag, the cover falls off and the lipstick either gets smushed or gets all over the contents of my bag. I've already ruined a Gucci wallet because of it. I like the lipstick a lot. It has very long wear. But, not at the expense of ruining the contents and the lining of a bag. I keep it in a little case inside my bag, but it's red, so it still manages to get all over the place.
This is quite a disappointment, because I really like the colors they have.

I have had one lipstick case do that...and I probably would never stick another besame metal case loose in a purse. If i bought another one.

Daisy Buchanan

Miss Neecerie said:
I have had one lipstick case do that...and I probably would never stick another besame metal case loose in a purse. If i bought another one.
It's so frustrating. The lipstick color is great, and the case is so pretty. But, I don't know if I'll ever buy it again.
I have the larger compact and it is very well made. So are the brushes and the pretty cloth case they came in. But, the lipstick getting all over my bags is a problem. You know how red lipstick is. Once it gets on one thing, it bleeds all over everything. Such a shame, was hoping it was just a fluke with the two that I had.:(

Daisy Buchanan

jitterbugdoll said:
Perhaps if you email them they might adjust the cases for future production.

They are supposed to be releasing a new lipstick in a new case based on a 1935 lipstick. Hopefully that case will stay closed better :)

Contacting them is a good idea. I think I will send them an email. Although it is possible that they already know. Maybe that's why they are releasing a new one. I really like there product, and will probably give the new one a try in hopes that the prior problem will be fixed.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:
But, the lipstick getting all over my bags is a problem. You know how red lipstick is. Once it gets on one thing, it bleeds all over everything. Such a shame, was hoping it was just a fluke with the two that I had.:(

Yes...my now pink ipod shuffle is a testament to their lipstick not coming off things.

Agree that its lovely stuff, but would buy with the caveat of putting it inside another case...perhaps one of those cheapish cases with a mirror, like this shape.

http://www.nextag.com/Pers-Silver-Plated-Lipstick-65047633/prices-html

Daisy Buchanan

Miss Neecerie said:
Yes...my now pink ipod shuffle is a testament to their lipstick not coming off things.

Agree that its lovely stuff, but would buy with the caveat of putting it inside another case...perhaps one of those cheapish cases with a mirror, like this shape.

That is a great case. Thanks for posting the link, I think I might have to get one. I like the lipstick color so much, it's hard to give it up.
Sorry to hear about your iPod. I got a body glove case to protect mine, and am glad to say that it does a very good job from preventing it from scratching and turning red from a loose lipstick.

Daisy Buchanan

Miss Neecerie said:

Sadly the seller of this item, Miles Kimball, doesn't have this item in stock at the moment. But, he has lots of other very pretty accessories for the purse. What a lovely site. I know you are a collector of such fineries, have you bought anything else from this site? It truely is filled with pretty things. I thank you, but my wallet is screaming, again.
Thanks for the help Neecerie

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I had not bought anything from them. Unfortunatly that was just me googling lipstick case and picking the first one that was the -shape- i was thinking of in terms of holding the besame in.

I know they even make them in funky chinese silk prints and so forth and that you can find simple ones at drugstores.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
decodoll said:
I did, however, while I was there, also get a new package of the regular coverage because it was in a very pretty 1935 commemorative package. :D I couldn't resist. It was the last one. After I use up the powder in it, I'll have to keep refilling it as I get more.

Darn! What does the package look like? Different from the regular package?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab

I know--I want one, too :)

I have a couple of the lipstick cases you mentioned. One is new; the other dates to the 1950s-60s. I like them, though I don't always use them (they don't fit square lipstick cases, but a standard round tube fits perfectly. I would imagine that two Besame lipsticks would fit in one case :))

decodoll

Practically Family
fortworthgal said:

I took a picture for you. :) As you can see, it's basically the same design only with more detail and richer colours. Also, the embossing of the puff handles is more pronouced.

coty1935.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
decodoll said:
I took a picture for you. :) As you can see, it's basically the same design only with more detail and richer colours. Also, the embossing of the puff handles is more pronouced.

coty1935.jpg

Denise does a giant 'duh'....until I saw this version, I always thought the things on the package were flowers of some sort.....

geez...sometimes I need glasses over my contacts or something....

*goes off to hide in her ignorance*

decodoll

Practically Family
I don't know. I didn't know it existed either until I walked into Walgreens yesterday, and they only had one of them. This is what the back says:

A Beauty Legacy
Since 1935
Powder particles are swirled and smoothed by racing streams of air for cloudlike softness. Tints are spread finely through the powder lying evenly and flat on your skin for flawless finish. Use to set make-up or as a foundation. Long lasting.​

Miss Neecerie, that would be an easy mistake with the current packaging as the white part of the puffs have lost all their detail! :)

Daisy Buchanan

That is a great package, wish I could find some.

I checked out the Besame website to look at the new lipstick. It just has a shadow of the new packaging, and a "coming soon" sign. It does list the colors, and says that it is "1935" inspired. Looking forward to getting some. Wish they had a little more detail as to when it will be coming out. Hope the packaging is better than what they have now. I see that they are still offering the old style, I hope that they have fixed the problem of the cases not closing properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo