Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Makeup Favorites

dollfaced

Familiar Face
I found that same box a month ago i thought is was so pretty but the only shade i found was naturelle at a wal-mart miles from where i live and i found it just by accident. Jitterbug i think thats a great idea to mix your extra coverage with your own lighter toned powder because that would most likely work out great because the extra coverage covers really good!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Besame customer service

A few days ago I emailed Besame in regards to the problem with their lipstick cases.
I heard back from them yesterday, and they said they are aware of the problem of the cap not closing all the way, and that it has been fixed. They are sending me a few lipstick cases to keep the lipstick in so I don't ruin any more bags and contents of bags. I thought this was good service, and will definitely be buying from them again. Looking forward to seeing their new lines.

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
I've been using Tangee Colors rouge in Red Red (from the Vermont Country Store) for a couple of weeks and I really like it. My complexion is very pale so I apply it lightly. It gives me a perfect 1940s rouge look and is especially nice with red lipstick.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well, I found the Airspun 1935 package at the Walgreens I frequent. They had about 10 of them in stock, same price as the regular package. I picked up one and may get another to keep in stock or leave out on the dresser.

The package is way more cool than the regular one. Lot more orange, and more vibrant colors like decodoll said. The gold is actually embossed onto the package so it has some texture. Very nice. I'll probably remove the plastic and refill it when it is empty.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I received a box of Coty Airspun in Rachel 1 (Pale Beige Tone) from Amazon yesterday. Since there wasn't a good color guide, I guessed on the shade, but I am happy to report that my guess turned out perfect! Rachel 1 is a very light, creamy ivory color—the beige name threw me off at first, because normally pale foundations/powders are named "Ivory", "Porcelain", and so forth., and beige shades tend to me more "tan" in color (and tan is something my skin has never known :rolleyes:) Anyway, the color is an excellent match--it's so light it's almost too pale for my extremely pale skin, which is something that never happens. It also provides great coverage (more so than the translucent, I think), despite being the regular version. I was able to wear this powder without my usual foundation, and the pink tones in my skin were nicely evened out.

Orchids Please

New in Town
This 'n That

The Markoff foundations have a white mixer which you can use to lighten their products. That glossy look of lipsticks in the '40's is plain old petroleum jelly in the middle for highlights. Pale was not popular during the War, tan was the goal(!) to match leg makeup. Powders ran a bit dusky towards this end. "Rachael" was the lightest, and ivory w/yellow undertones to knock out pink. Origins used to have a color "Paperwhite" which was quite pale. When I was living in AZ last year, wore Panstick "Ivory" or "Nude Beige" - I look perfectly pale. Pancake goes on lighter as it is a water activated product.
Does anyone know how to "bead" eyelashes? It was used up until the mid '40's - I would love to find the products to do it.

I seemed to have missed the bit about Dita Von Teese's lipsticks - could I be redirected to that info? Thanks!

decodoll

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I received a box of Coty Airspun in Rachel 1 (Pale Beige Tone) from Amazon yesterday. Since there wasn't a good color guide, I guessed on the shade, but I am happy to report that my guess turned out perfect! Rachel 1 is a very light, creamy ivory color—the beige name threw me off at first, because normally pale foundations/powders are named "Ivory", "Porcelain", and so forth., and beige shades tend to me more "tan" in color (and tan is something my skin has never known :rolleyes:) Anyway, the color is an excellent match--it's so light it's almost too pale for my extremely pale skin, which is something that never happens. It also provides great coverage (more so than the translucent, I think), despite being the regular version. I was able to wear this powder without my usual foundation, and the pink tones in my skin were nicely evened out.

That must be the one I used to use years ago. I remember it was very light because at the time it was the only drugstore powder I could get light enough. I've been using the translucent only because it's all that seems to be carried in the stores nowadays, but maybe I'll have to order some from Amazon. :)

magneto

Practically Family
decodoll said:
That must be the one I used to use years ago. I remember it was very light because at the time it was the only drugstore powder I could get light enough. I've been using the translucent only because it's all that seems to be carried in the stores nowadays, but maybe I'll have to order some from Amazon. :)

Hi decodoll--the Rite-Aid near Market and Fourth St. in SF has the colored Coty powders (I just bought the "Naturally Neutral" ('Light/Medium Neutral Tone') a week or two ago there). I don't know if they had the full line, but there were about 5/6 different shades available.

decodoll

Practically Family
Oh thanks, Magneto! I'll have to take a look. That's just a few blocks from where I work. I tend to not stop in Rite Aid because something about the way they are organized is just weird. It always takes me forever to find anything!

magneto

Practically Family
decodoll said:
Oh thanks, Magneto! I'll have to take a look. That's just a few blocks from where I work. I tend to not stop in Rite Aid because something about the way they are organized is just weird. It always takes me forever to find anything!

They are horribly messy! :( As you walk in the door from Market St. the powders are in the very leftmost aisle, on the righthand side of the aisle, near nail items and other odd boodle.
(That R-A also carries a few makeup lines for darker-complected women--I forget the name, but the lipsticks are very pigmented and come in nice dramatic shades.)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
fortworthgal said:
Jitterbugdoll - Please let us know how the extra coverage suffices as a foundation. I didn't purchase it because I was afraid that as a powder it would be too heavy, even though I usually only wear Bare Minerals powder foundation. If the extra coverage works well alone, I may try it as an alternate.

I wanted to update this, since I picked up the extra coverage translucent last night. It does have more color than the regular translucent, and I'm pretty fair, but I can still wear it. I'm wearing it today over a very tiny amount of Bare Minerals foundation, and I really like it. I forgot my powder compact at home so haven't been able to do any touch-ups, and my face still looks pretty fresh! I usually would have touched up 3-4 times by now. I'm pretty pleased with it. I think tomorrow I will try it alone with no BM underneath and see how it works.

Fleur De Guerre said:
Darn it, wish this had been discussed before I went to America! I hate founation, so I always go without, but my face is somewhat blotchy and in need of something. I usually make do with a Mac powder I have, but I's not perfect. I want that flawless look!

I've seen the Coty Powder on ebay quite a bit, and I believe Amazon.com also sells it.

texasgirl

One Too Many
decodoll said:
I took a picture for you. :) As you can see, it's basically the same design only with more detail and richer colours. Also, the embossing of the puff handles is more pronouced.

coty1935.jpg

Well, I found the Coty powder in the great packaging, very cool. But I've never used loose powder like this before. What is the best way to apply? I do have an old compact I recently purchased, I could put some in that. It just seems like it would be messy to try to use a powder brush?

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
The way I apply it:

Use a large fluffy puff (not like the ones in a pressed compact) and fluff it on, then dust off excess with a really full makeup brush.

I don't think it would be a good idea to transfer loose powder to a pressed powder compact:)

texasgirl

One Too Many
RetroMom said:
The way I apply it:

Use a large fluffy puff (not like the ones in a pressed compact) and fluff it on, then dust off excess with a really full makeup brush.

I don't think it would be a good idea to transfer loose powder to a pressed powder compact:)

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to look for a big puff. The compact I got actually has this "screen" type thing, you remove it and put loose powder in it. I just don't know if I'd want to use it everyday.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well first off, don't remove the plastic cover! Poke holes in it with a toothhpick or a pin to make a sifter. It is so much easier to use that way. I removed the cover completely on the first package I bought and now all I can do with it is fill compacts. It is just too messy to use without the plastic, because the powder goes everywhere, or it all slides over to one side and when I open the box, it makes a huge mess.

I use mine by tapping a small amount of powder into the lid of the container, then I swirl my brush into it and apply it onto my face.

texasgirl

One Too Many
fortworthgal said:
Well first off, don't remove the plastic cover! Poke holes in it with a toothhpick or a pin to make a sifter. It is so much easier to use that way. I removed the cover completely on the first package I bought and now all I can do with it is fill compacts. It is just too messy to use without the plastic, because the powder goes everywhere, or it all slides over to one side and when I open the box, it makes a huge mess.

I use mine by tapping a small amount of powder into the lid of the container, then I swirl my brush into it and apply it onto my face.

Thanks! That's what I was trying to figure out!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
fwgal, good tip on the plastic tray thing to poke holes. When I travel with my Coty, I get a rubberband to put over it to make sure it doesn't open and spill everywhere. I ended up finding a miny loose powder holder at either Walmart or TArget in the area where they sell travel size toiletries and it works perfectly! It even sifts the powder through the inside tray. I paid like $.99 or $1.50 for the holder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk