Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
The other one that can help a lot is Nailtiques...they have different formulas for different nail problems...If I am remembering right, number 2 is for the dry peely nails...

Denise...whose nails go in cycles...lovely looking for a month and then they all break off....repeat...

texasgirl

One Too Many
I wonder if that's what I had, an allergic reaction?!?!? I stopped polishing my nails a couple years ago. They actually started looking really good- I thought it was because I was eating healthier and drinking more water. Well, around the holidays I got some of that L'Oreal Vintage Red (and yes it's all of ya'lls fault!!!) and I just loved it on my toes, so I painted my nails all through December. I used OPI base and top coat. Well now my nails are a mess, peeling really bad again like they used to. And my wedding is in about 5 weeks, hopefully they will be better by then. But anyway, I didn't know you could be allergic? I am also allergic to any of the sunless tanning products and I do have sensitive skin

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
texasgirl said:
I wonder if that's what I had, an allergic reaction?!?!? I stopped polishing my nails a couple years ago. They actually started looking really good- I thought it was because I was eating healthier and drinking more water. Well, around the holidays I got some of that L'Oreal Vintage Red (and yes it's all of ya'lls fault!!!) and I just loved it on my toes, so I painted my nails all through December. I used OPI base and top coat. Well now my nails are a mess, peeling really bad again like they used to. And my wedding is in about 5 weeks, hopefully they will be better by then. But anyway, I didn't know you could be allergic? I am also allergic to any of the sunless tanning products and I do have sensitive skin

You can definitely be allergic to nail polish and polish removers. I can use the higher end brands with no problem--but drugstore brands, like Maybelline and L'Oreal, cause the splitting and peeling to occur immediately. Try the Nail Envy--that really helps stop the splitting and peeling, and my nails seem to grow out much faster then if I leave them alone after they because breaking. I didn't have much luck with other products designed for the same problem, so hopefully this one will helps you gals out as well. :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
texasgirl said:
Great, thanks! I'll stop by Ulta tonight!

You bet, and congrats on your upcoming nuptials! :)

This is slightly off topic, but for those of you who have trouble with your polish chipping almost immediately (I am one of those gals) try a product called Seche Vite. It really keeps the polish looking neat and shiny for days.

G

GoldLeaf

jitterbugdoll said:
This is slightly off topic, but for those of you who have trouble with your polish chipping almost immediately (I am one of those gals) try a product called Seche Vite. It really keeps the polish looking neat and shiny for days.

Additionally, smooth, shiny surfaces never take paint (or polish) as well as a rough, porous surface. My hubby was in the paint industry for a while, and the same things that apply to painy applies to our nails. I have a Sally Hansen cuticle cream that is also an exfoliater with some diamond grit (or something like that) in it. Also, wiping your nails with a polish remover before putting on the polish helps alot, it ensures the nails are clean and helps make them more porous. If your nails have lotion or any oil on them, the polish will have a more difficult time adhering to the nails.

I use the cuticle cream on my nails, then use the polish remover on them. My polish used to chip in 1-2 days, this last painting lasted 5 - and even then it wasn't chipping, just wearing/rubbing off. Also, few, thin coats of polish chip less, too.

Sorry for contributing to the :eek:fftopic: But it is related to how to make your vintage inspired polish last longer ;)

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
well I dont know if this is a vintagey type red but I am rather taken with it at the moment (plus I am testing the lasts 5 days without chipping claim), it is called Dancing Queen by Rimmel

nails.jpg

can I just ask too , do any of you lovely ladies have any tips on stopping your nails splitting/flaking? I can never seem to grow them past the end of my finger [huh]

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Amber,

I thought I was a hopeless case with nails. Like yours, mine would get beyond the fingertip then chip, peel, break. I didn't think it was an allergy, as I didn't use any product on them (they were too short!). I also had very dry cuticles. I tried a Sally Hansen product from the drugstore called "Grow Nails Now! nail growth solution (in orange bottle). Also her "cuticle defense anti-oxideant cuticle complex" I would brush the former on the nails every night, the latter I would add to some warm water & soak the cuticles 1-2 nights a week. To my surprise, my nails actually did grow! And they seem to be really strong, too - have not been chipping or breaking. I don't use the stuff every night anymore, just once in a while. I will put it on under polish as well. I also bought gobs of soft emery boards and stashed them everywhere, so if a nail does chip, I have a board handy and can try to salvage it.

The other thing I did was to become disciplined about wearing gloves when I do dishes, clean, or garden. I suspect the exposure to hot dishwater & cleaning products was a big part of the problem. Maybe it was a combination of the gloves and the nail growing product, but for the last couple months I've had nails that I can actually paint (red)! :)

marquise

Familiar Face
Link removed because direct link to site produced unwanted pictures

Here's a '30s ad showing the unpainted-moon style. I've done it many, many times in red, always with the aid of little French manicure stickers from the drugstore. Easy-peasy, if you have the patience & vigilance to keep it neat.

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
Decobelle thanks for the advice, I shall pick some of that up and see how we go. Oh and thanks for the reminder about the gloves, I seem to forget to replace mine once I throw the old ones away :eusa_doh:

Miss Retro

Familiar Face
Hello Ladies, after reading this thread i bought OPI's I'm not really a waitress and the new OPI Red like Roses.I love them both, beautiful colors. I got mine from <edited to remove a link nor for nail varnish that was x rated> they were only $3.98 each. Thank you for all the advice so far.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
i have a question - when did french manicures come into vogue? i have acrylic nails and often wear mine in a french manicure, since it makes the grow-out less visible around the time i need a fill.

some notes on acrylic, for those ladies who are concerned about damage and hygiene - make sure your salon uses autoclaves on their equipment and adhere to strict rules regarding hygiene. i always pick a salon based on recommendations, which is the best way to go.

also rumour has it that gel nails are less damaging than acrylic - does anyone know anything about this?

one thing i hate about my nails is that i have very, very short nail beds. even when my nails are a relatively long length, my nails look like little polished circles (or squares) rather than a nice, oval nail. a french manicure with a very thin tip gives the illusion of a longer nail bed, but obviously i don't have that advantage when i go red or pink :-(

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
KittyT - I think I've read somewhere that it's called French Manicure because some American business guy visited France in ... the early 60s I think? (don't quote me on that) and noticed that the French secretaries in the offices wore nude shades of nailpolish and painted the underside of their nail tips white with Tipp-Ex!

I think the early 60s sounds reasonable, what with the nude lips, 'natural', tanned sporty makeup look coming into fashion at that time.

Christine

New in Town
Sally Hansen has a nice vintagey red called "Hollywood Scarlett" under a new line called "Salon Nail Laquer." Of the three Walgreens we have in my area, only one had it and I had to ask the lady for it because there were no more on the display rack. It's a few dollars cheaper than OPI but I haven't tried their reds before.

Here's a question, what do you girls do about chipping? Anyone know of a good anti-chip polish? I'm used to wearing light pinks so if it does chip, you barely notice it. :eek:

texasgirl

One Too Many
jitterbugdoll said:
You can definitely be allergic to nail polish and polish removers. I can use the higher end brands with no problem--but drugstore brands, like Maybelline and L'Oreal, cause the splitting and peeling to occur immediately. Try the Nail Envy--that really helps stop the splitting and peeling, and my nails seem to grow out much faster then if I leave them alone after they because breaking. I didn't have much luck with other products designed for the same problem, so hopefully this one will helps you gals out as well. :)

I just wanted to say Thanks Jitterbugdoll! My nails look so much better. I've been using the OPI Nail Envy and I also bought OPI nail polish remover. I think they will be find by the big day Thanks!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Christine said:
Here's a question, what do you girls do about chipping? Anyone know of a good anti-chip polish? I'm used to wearing light pinks so if it does chip, you barely notice it. :eek:

to prevent chipping, you have to follow the formula recommended by Miss Bella Hell - base coat, 2 coats polish, and a top coat. i think anything by OPI works well, and i find their polishes (along with Creative Color polishes) to be the most chip resistant. i also really like the Seche Vite products and use both their ridge filling base coat on my acrylics between fills, and their top coat. also, make sure your nails are completely clean and dry (no moisturizer, cuticle cream), which you can do by wiping them with alcohol wipes first. some people also find that very lightly buffing them to give them a little texture for the polish to adhere to works well.

of course, my experience is a little different because i can only paint my nails when i have acrylics (i'm an incorrigeable nail biter) and polish doesn't chip off of acrylics, it just wears off of the tips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters