Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Hi-ho,

I don't want to start a new thread for this, but I'm wondering about thinning nailpolishes once they've gone goopy? I used to find a nail polish thinner at a beauty supply store, but I can't find it any more. A beautician told me that she thought adding a bit of nail polish remover would help. Does anyone do this? Does it work? Other ideas?

Also, what do you do when they discontinue your favorite color? This seems to happen to me too often.

Cheers!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/3500/163400 When I had my every-two-years manicure last week, the manicurist used this. No price listed but I have seen it at Sally and it isn't expensive.
When my favorite color is discontinued I look at this catalog www.amerimark.com, search the clearance sections of Walgreen's and every other drug and discount store (some locations have more than one clearance shelf per store) and www.conspicuouschick.com. I have found many sadly discontinued colors this way.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
beaucaillou said:
Hi-ho,

I don't want to start a new thread for this, but I'm wondering about thinning nailpolishes once they've gone goopy? I used to find a nail polish thinner at a beauty supply store, but I can't find it any more. A beautician told me that she thought adding a bit of nail polish remover would help. Does anyone do this? Does it work? Other ideas?

yes it works, most of the time. sometimes you have to add quite a bit of polish remover. just add a little at a time, give a good shaking and try it out. you may end up polishing one nail 5 times or more before you find the right consistency!

Sally Beauty also carries a product called Beauty Secrets Nail Polish Thinner - http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/3500/163400

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
yes it works, most of the time. sometimes you have to add quite a bit of polish remover. just add a little at a time, give a good shaking and try it out. you may end up polishing one nail 5 times or more before you find the right consistency!

Sally Beauty also carries a product called Beauty Secrets Nail Polish Thinner - http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/3500/163400

Thanks KittyT!

That's the thinner I used to use, but the Sally out here doesn't carry it. Which frustrates me mildly, because it's so handy.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
BegintheBeguine said:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/3500/163400 When I had my every-two-years manicure last week, the manicurist used this. No price listed but I have seen it at Sally and it isn't expensive.
When my favorite color is discontinued I look at this catalog www.amerimark.com, search the clearance sections of Walgreen's and every other drug and discount store (some locations have more than one clearance shelf per store) and www.conspicuouschick.com. I have found many sadly discontinued colors this way.

Thanks B-t-B!

I've ordered replacement nailpolishes through such sights and sadly, they've just never been the same. It's like from sitting or storage conditions they've changed colors. Maybe it was just time alone with no air from being opened that did it. I usually just end up mixing my own anyway. I must remember to make myself go back and buy multiple bottles when I find a new favorite.

Christine

New in Town
KittyT said:
to prevent chipping, you have to follow the formula recommended by Miss Bella Hell - base coat, 2 coats polish, and a top coat. i think anything by OPI works well, and i find their polishes (along with Creative Color polishes) to be the most chip resistant. i also really like the Seche Vite products and use both their ridge filling base coat on my acrylics between fills, and their top coat. also, make sure your nails are completely clean and dry (no moisturizer, cuticle cream), which you can do by wiping them with alcohol wipes first. some people also find that very lightly buffing them to give them a little texture for the polish to adhere to works well.

of course, my experience is a little different because i can only paint my nails when i have acrylics (i'm an incorrigeable nail biter) and polish doesn't chip off of acrylics, it just wears off of the tips.

Kitty, thanks for the reply. I skimmed through the thread and didn't see anything. I should slow down next time so no one has to repeat. :eusa_doh: I'll try the basecoat tonight and see how long it lasts this time around. I know what you mean about nail biting. I was a notorious nail biter for a long time. I still don't know how I ended that habit. :eek:

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
New product!!

I went into the beauty supply store today to pick up some things and while hunting through the nail section, I stumbled across these:

http://www.kissusa.com/TipguideCF.html

I'm thrilled! I tried using the normal "one size fits all" nail guides to cover the moon of my nails, but they're always too big- especially for my pinkies. But these ones actually fit right. And there's plenty of them for several manicures!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Cherry_Bombb said:
New product!!

I went into the beauty supply store today to pick up some things and while hunting through the nail section, I stumbled across these:

http://www.kissusa.com/TipguideCF.html

I'm thrilled! I tried using the normal "one size fits all" nail guides to cover the moon of my nails, but they're always too big- especially for my pinkies. But these ones actually fit right. And there's plenty of them for several manicures!

This is the kind I use--they do work well. :)

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
I had to let you all know a great pseudo-invention I came up with. I find the manicure guides are too wide, the half moon always came out as a straight line, but half a stationary ring reinforcer does the job perfectly!

You should be able to get them in any stationary shop; they're a do-nut shaped ring of either paper or vinyl that you put over punched holes to stop them ripping in ring binders. Best of all I got 52 sets for £1.36!

Now does anyone know a top coat that doesn't dissolve your coloured polish? I always end up with red smeared over my moon, and have taken to only putting top coat on the top half of my nail!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Clara Noir said:
I had to let you all know a great pseudo-invention I came up with. I find the manicure guides are too wide, the half moon always came out as a straight line, but half a stationary ring reinforcer does the job perfectly!

You should be able to get them in any stationary shop; they're a do-nut shaped ring of either paper or vinyl that you put over punched holes to stop them ripping in ring binders. Best of all I got 52 sets for £1.36!

Now does anyone know a top coat that doesn't dissolve your coloured polish? I always end up with red smeared over my moon, and have taken to only putting top coat on the top half of my nail!

I use Seche Vite and love it as it really extends the life of my manicures. But, I can't say I have ever had trouble with topcoats smearing the color underneath. Do you wait a bit before applying the topcoat?

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Clara Noir said:

That is quite ingenious!!

I use Sally Hansen Hard As Nails for a base and a topcoat. It works well to make your nails grow thicker and stronger (I did a small experiment, and it was the best!), and it keeps the polish from chipping!

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
jitterbugdoll said:
I use Seche Vite and love it as it really extends the life of my manicures. But, I can't say I have ever had trouble with topcoats smearing the color underneath. Do you wait a bit before applying the topcoat?

Maybe not long enough...but I leave it a good long while, or so I thought. About ten minutes or so? :rolleyes:

I've never heard of Seche Vite - is that the brand name, or is it part of a bigger company?

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
This is the scan that I take with me when I get a manicure, feel free to do the same :) I usually have the base coat (moons) and the tips done in french manicure pale pink or silver (if it's a glamour night) then a rich red or wine for the fill.

CutexLG.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Anyone here tried OPI's Malaga Wine? Thoughts? I've been wearing I'm Not Really A Waitress and while I love it, I must admit I'm getting a little bored with it. I look at other reds when I go to the nail salon, but after awhile, they all start to look the same!

I do have a list of red shades mentioned in this thread that I'll check out, but I saw a gal wearing Malaga Wine one of the last times I went and it did look nice!

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Anyone here tried OPI's Malaga Wine? Thoughts? I've been wearing I'm Not Really A Waitress and while I love it, I must admit I'm getting a little bored with it. I look at other reds when I go to the nail salon, but after awhile, they all start to look the same!

I do have a list of red shades mentioned in this thread that I'll check out, but I saw a gal wearing Malaga Wine one of the last times I went and it did look nice!

thanks to clara!
i bought some of those reinforcers and they worked great for me. just sticky enough!
and ridiculously cheap too.

soph
xxx

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
decodoll said:
I did my nails vintage style yesterday using those tip guides they sell for french manicures. Came out pretty well. I had tried with a different brand of tip guides a few years ago and just ended up with a mess, but these worked very easily. I decided to try it again after reading that Dita does hers this way. Unfortunately, after I finished doing the red, I found the top on my clear top coat had sealed itself permanently shut...so no top coat in this picture. Plus, I just finished blocking four hats, so now half of my nails are starting to split :confused: ...guess I should have tried that soap under the nails...

vintagenails.jpg
Great nails decodoll. I read something regarding the "nail guide stickers" or whatever they are called in Dita's book. I thought she mentioned (from memory) that you could actually buy the "moon" stickers, but all I can find here in Australia are the tip guides for the french manicure which is for the tip of the nail. I will just have to keep looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred