Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Milan or Optimo Milan

Keensteen

New in Town
Yes, saw an article…that Optimo Hats went to China…found the original suppliers of the wheat that Italy used. Then worked with the village, improving the wheat, breeding for better straw (not wheat), and I believe even growing organically. My link to article no longer works, and Optimo doesn’t seem to have it.

I’m new to fine hats, even more to Milan straw. I love Handwoven Fine Panamas from Ecuador, thought a classical Milan would be nice Handwoven addition. But so far those I’ve seen seem machine made…even older ones on ebay. Not handwoven like the classic Panama. Feels like I’m chasing after a phantom hat !

Yes, saw an article…that Optimo Hats went to China…found the original suppliers of the wheat that Italy used. Then worked with the village, improving the wheat, breeding for better straw (not wheat), and I believe even growing organically. My link to article no longer works, and Optimo doesn’t seem to have it.

I’m new to fine hats, even more to Milan straw. I love Handwoven Fine Panamas from Ecuador, thought a classical Milan would be nice Handwoven addition. But so far those I’ve seen seem machine made…even older ones on ebay. Not handwoven like the classic Panama. Feels like I’m chasing after a phantom hat !
All Milan hats are machine made. Rather than being woven the Milan straw is sewn, layer upon layer. Art Fawcett from VS Custom was one of the few custom hat makers making them in the traditional way. It is fascinating to watch a hatter sew the layers then form the hat. There is also a "Milan" hat made by numerous major hat makers that is called Milan but does not use the actual Milan straw....they use a coated paper material. I have a few of both and they are good hats....certainly not as refined as a top quality Panama but they do serve a niche.

Your size could pose problems in finding one. I picked up a nice vintage true Milan straw on Ebay for under $200. With patience you might find one.

The hat world is full of these confusing terms. Milan can refer to the actual straw or to the way the material is sewn. There are lots of hemp Milan hats and there are plastics too. I personally like the hemp, but it’s rare to find them as finely made as the genuine Milan hats.

Optimo of Chicago makes a great hat, but they don’t come cheap. Art Fawcett of Vintage Silhouettes (VS) also made a nice Milan, but he retired. I have a VS Handicapper Milan that I really like, and I also hate another VS Milan in a more traditional fedora style.

I know Rick at The Phoenix Hat Co. @humanshoes was working on making Milan hats using old original machines, but I’ve never seen one offered for sale. Peter Bros. In Texas offers a bargain priced hemp Milan as does Stetson. I personally have not liked the plasticity Florentine Milan hats offered by Dobbs and maybe others.

I have a nice (not as nice as Optimo) VS Milan hat in 7 5/8 that I’d consider letting go if the price was right. I also might have a vintage Bee Hats Milan I’d could sell, but it’s a smaller proportioned hat. Send me a PM if you’re interested.

Have you looked through this thread?

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/milan-mania.30949/page-36

The hat world is full of these confusing terms. Milan can refer to the actual straw or to the way the material is sewn. There are lots of hemp Milan hats and there are plastics too. I personally like the hemp, but it’s rare to find them as finely made as the genuine Milan hats.

Optimo of Chicago makes a great hat, but they don’t come cheap. Art Fawcett of Vintage Silhouettes (VS) also made a nice Milan, but he retired. I have a VS Handicapper Milan that I really like, and I also hate another VS Milan in a more traditional fedora style.

I know Rick at The Phoenix Hat Co. @humanshoes was working on making Milan hats using old original machines, but I’ve never seen one offered for sale. Peter Bros. In Texas offers a bargain priced hemp Milan as does Stetson. I personally have not liked the plasticity Florentine Milan hats offered by Dobbs and maybe others.

I have a nice (not as nice as Optimo) VS Milan hat in 7 5/8 that I’d consider letting go if the price was right. I also might have a vintage Bee Hats Milan I’d could sell, but it’s a smaller proportioned hat. Send me a PM if you’re interested.
I am at the top of the queue if Rick gets into production with his Milan hats. Have yet to get an update on how close he is to start up. I am sorry I hesitated in ordering one from VS and missed the boat.

I am at the top of the queue if Rick gets into production with his Milan hats. Have yet to get an update on how close he is to start up. I am sorry I hesitated in ordering one from VS and missed the boat.

You might be near the top of Rick’s queue for a Milan, but there might be some competition for the first one. :) As I recall, the person he was training for the Milan hats wasn’t as dedicated a perfectionist as Rick and it didn’t work out.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I’m waiting for the Phoenix hat Company Straws to roll out as well. I should be in the cue somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto