Vintage neon signs

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by Blackthorn, Jul 21, 2014.

1. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

The Citgo sign in Kenmore Square in Boston had all its neon replaced by LEDs several years ago, and it seems to be just as bright as the original was. They still have maintenance issues with it, but not as often as they used to.

We're looking into re-doing our neon sign with LEDs. I've asked the sign company to give me a quote, if it's feasible -- anything would be better than the constant maintenance headaches we have with the neon. The salt air here is deadly to the many fussy little high-voltage electrical connections -- and they tell me that the parts are getting to be harder and harder to find. LED may or may not be more durable -- I don't think the diodes that it requires for its electrical system will be any less delicate than what we've got now, but they'll at least be off-the-shelf replacement parts.

tonyb and Ghostsoldier like this.
  2. Ghostsoldier

Ghostsoldier Call Me a Cab

Signs, signs, everywhere signs... blocking out the scenery and breaking my mind.

[​IMG]

Rob

Zombie_61, 3fingers, dh66 and 3 others like this.
  3. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Joe Dinnerpail there doesn't realize he's standing right smack in the middle of the Miracle Mile. U AUTO BUY NOW!

Zombie_61 and Ghostsoldier like this.
  4. The drive-in movie sign from "Twister" (watching it for about the tenth time this afternoon). It's from 1996 so it's nearly vintage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Neon rat and roach ... it's kinda putting me off my Virginia ham and waffles.

Orkin_Neon_Ft_Worth.jpg

I'd love to have that "Hatters" sign.

upload_2019-11-15_6-40-14.png

6. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I'm more concerned with that Virginia Ham sign where the neon swine is prancing up to sell you a sizzling slice of one of his fellow hogs. Capitalist pig.

Zombie_61, tonyb, 3fingers and 2 others like this.
  7. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

"Capitalist Pig," fantastic - well done Lizzie. And it was, after all, the pigs that first took to haughtily walking on their hind legs in "Animal Farm."

My girlfriend and I often note how one will regularly see an animal happily advertising a restaurant at which its brethren are also on the menu. Cows will be smiling happily in signs for steakhouses while, at other establishments, cheery lobsters will implore you to try the seafood and big chickens regularly try to wave you into fried-chicken places. It does feel a bit better when a smiling cow invites you into a place selling dairy - it's almost as if he's proud of his work.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  8. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

Then you have Chick-fil-A where the animal in question is a cow imploring you to "eat more chiken".

9. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

There were some Pop-Tarts commercials a few years ago that were a little "creepy" that way. I thought they were funny.

And the M&Ms guys seem to go there fairly often, too.

3fingers, Zombie_61 and Ghostsoldier like this.
  10. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Mister Peanut is the worst.

[​IMG]

He's the Jeff Bezos of legumes.

3fingers, Zombie_61 and Ghostsoldier like this.
  11. The store building (and that iconic roof line) still exists here in Springfield, MO. It was most recently the world's biggest CVS Pharmacy (and didn't even use all the space), but is now vacant. I remember that spinning cat head. :)

Katz_Neon.jpg

12. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

Not a "sign" as such, but the Mill Mountain Star in Roanoke, VA was first lit 70 years ago today, and is still in operation nightly. Nearly 90 feet tall with 2,000 feet of neon tubing, it gave rise to Roanoke being known as "The Star City of the South".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Star

[​IMG]

As a child, it was about an hour drive to "go to town" (Roanoke), and those rare trips usually involved a stop at the Sears and Roebuck retail store for shoes or some such. My brothers and I always looked forward to the evening trips so we could see the star all lit up, perched up there high on Mill Mountain.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    3fingers, Ghostsoldier, tonyb and 5 others like this.
  13. Kudos for keeping the cool part of the sign.

03332477-552C-45A1-AF7B-A0B322FA9D73.jpeg

14. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

It works, with the arrow and all.

Ghostsoldier and BobHufford like this.
  15. Ghostsoldier

Noir.[​IMG]

Rob

Boomerang, Zombie_61, Bushman and 5 others like this.
  16. Maplewood neighborhood in St. Louis, 1980s.

[​IMG]

17. Ghostsoldier

Nice neon, bad roads.[​IMG]

Rob

dh66, Zombie_61, Trenchfriend and 3 others like this.
  18. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

^^^ Is that Alaska? I've seen similar pictures from a giant earthquake they had in 1964 or 65.

Zombie_61 and Ghostsoldier like this.
  19. Ghostsoldier

I believe it is.

Rob

Zombie_61 likes this.
  20. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Yes it is. March 27, 1964. Magnitude 9.2, the strongest earthquake ever recorded in North America. :eek:

Ghostsoldier likes this.