Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

3dca00c37eae622bb5624608f482f1a8.jpg 67ae07a11eae4e14119a4430b05938d8.jpg d0ea2f2a18360d6788ca43a88c10a4a7.jpg

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
"Burnt pencils."

I'm right there with you, Lizzie. [emoji16][emoji106]
A frappe (pronounced "frap") in New England is a cold, thick flavored milk drink with ice cream in it. It's the preferred term for this drink, and calling it a "shake" or a "milkshake" marks you as an outastata, or a habitue of the Golden Arches. There was another version of a "frap" sold in New York City candy stores of the 1920s which seems to have been a semi-melted ice cream thing sold in a little tin dish, but that doesn't seem to have any relation to the true New England frappe.

A proper frappe doesn't have coffee in it, unless it's coffee ice cream.

As for coffee, I don't care how it's prepared or how expensive the bean, it still tastes like burnt pencils to me. Blech.

Plain tea steeped in the cup for fifteen minutes. Now that's a warrior's drink.

Rob

The American pool hall is an institution that should have been preserved.
Where else is a young man supposed to learn most of life's important lessons?

Newman's character got a lesson about life in one for sure in "The Hustler."

My dad was a professional gambler and (all but certain) bookmaker and exposed me to life's realities early - and made no attempt to make my childhood a safe place or idyllic time. I'm not saying how others should be raise, but as tough and un-fun as my upbringing was, it did send me out into the world expecting to be kicked around which, no surprise, I, like everyone else, was. My upbringing was my pool hall.

While - thankfully - there was no mob stuff in my upbringing or my dad's world (he was just a local guy doing his thing), I had no trouble relating to the characters and seeing my dad's friends in "The Hustler." Their's was an up-from-the-street world, where - like the characters in "The Hustler -" if you carved out a little bit better space for yourself in life, you protected it.

Thought about posting this crazy in vintage roadside, but it seemed so much about the neon, that I chose here. Regardless, I do love his boots because they, quite possibly, are the last thing in the world I expected to see on his feet:
View attachment 123884
I think it's definitely worthy of being in both threads. Maybe even a few more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Three for the price of one! :D
a366.jpg

Neon,
ghost signs and vintage gas station.

If you squint real hard you might see the Mobil Pegasus
down the road! ;)
a362.jpg

Black mud on the car in first photo plus the name of the cafe leads me to believe this is the Black Hills in western S. Dakota extending into Wyoming and where somewhere General Custer rode to his last sunset!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner