Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

A lot of good stuff with this one including the steam, the silhouetted tray carrier and the film noir street scene:
View attachment 123396

From a page or so back. Same place? The waiters appear to be missing (please tell me they rotate around the cup and the time lapse blurred them).

fred-herzog-hub-lux.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Doesn't look that much like a goose to my eye, but you've got to give them some points for effort:
View attachment 123520

I agree, although someone thought it was good enough to be put
on canvas:

gallopin-goose-julie-stubbs.jpg

“ The Gallopin' Goose saloon is in Collidge Arizona.
The sign no longer works and most of the neon glass is missing.
I love painting old vintage signs, the worse they look, the better
it is.
The Galloping Goose Saloon is famous for a young up-and-coming
country singer called Waylon Jennings.
Today it is a fun place to eat burgers, drink and dance to live music.”
by Julie Stubbs.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
There's so much going on with this image:
b8a3911db93e9c290c3d1c5a0f3ed635.jpg

Kodak.png

35mm camera and color slides which we would view
on a carousel slide projector against the living room wall.
Rexall Drug store, the odor of medicine, school supplies,
chocolate malts and burgers with fries towards the rear of
the store soda fountain.
Sporting Goods store & my first all wood Jack Kramer tennis racket.
Toy Shop where I would buy marbles, spinning tops or kites.
The heavy built real chrome bumper cars which I drove to high
school in my senior year.
Around the corner were movie theaters where for a low price you
could view one or two movies all day plus cartoon, weekly serial along
with
news events around the globe while enjoying candy, popcorn and
a soda from the concession stand at affordable prices. :)

Last edited:
I didn't know frappes existed then. I'm still not sure exactly what they are. Interpretations seem to vary.

The entire coffee culture thing has passed me by not because I'm too good for it (or not good enough, well, maybe I'm not) or anything like that, but because I'm only a very casual and occasional coffee drinker, there are only so many things in life one can wrap one's mind around and the minutia of the upscaled and mind-bendingly fissiparous world of coffee seemed not worth the effort.

After growing up in a house where coffee came from a percolator (as the first one up in the morning, it was my job to put the water in the body of the thing, the coffee grinds in the top and plug it in for my parents) anything different or more complex seemed taxing. Hence, to this day, I just smile and nod when the discussion turns to frappes or macchiatos or expressos or....

That said, and I only marginally know the different way it's made, but French Press coffee - had it by chance one day - is the most intense and wonderful coffee I've ever had. However, it floats out there in some "other" world where I only have it when, by complete happenstance, it's available somewhere I'm looking to have coffee.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The entire coffee culture thing has passed me by not because I'm too good for it (or not good enough, well, maybe I'm not) or anything like that, but because I'm only a very casual and occasional coffee drinker, there are only so many things in life one can wrap one's mind around and the minutia of the upscaled and mind-bendingly fissiparous world of coffee seemed not worth the effort.

After growing up in a house where coffee came from a percolator (as the first one up in the morning, it was my job to put the water in the body of the thing, the coffee grinds in the top and plug it in for my parents) anything different or more complex seemed taxing. Hence, to this day, I just smile and nod when the discussion turns to frappes or macchiatos or expressos or....

That said, and I only marginally know the different way it's made, but French Press coffee - had it by chance one day - is the most intense and wonderful coffee I've ever had. However, it floats out there in some "other" world where I only have it when, by complete happenstance, it's available somewhere I'm looking to have coffee.

On occasions I will have a cup of coffee with breakfast although I never finish the drink
but just take as many swallows needed to finish my meal.

I once went to Starbucks and was offered one of those fancy coffee drinks by my reporter.
I was so wired up, I couldn’t sleep all night.

Another reporter has a habit of saying first thing in the morning,
"I got to have my cup of coffee before we start the day!”
She drinks it like it's going out of style! :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A frappe (pronounced "frap") in New England is a cold, thick flavored milk drink with ice cream in it. It's the preferred term for this drink, and calling it a "shake" or a "milkshake" marks you as an outastata, or a habitue of the Golden Arches. There was another version of a "frap" sold in New York City candy stores of the 1920s which seems to have been a semi-melted ice cream thing sold in a little tin dish, but that doesn't seem to have any relation to the true New England frappe.

A proper frappe doesn't have coffee in it, unless it's coffee ice cream.

As for coffee, I don't care how it's prepared or how expensive the bean, it still tastes like burnt pencils to me. Blech.

Plain tea steeped in the cup for fifteen minutes. Now that's a warrior's drink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk