Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Great story. So many words - especially slang ones - have appeared, disappeared or morphed in meaning that it is probably amazing this doesn't happen more often.

Quite often, in old movies, the expression "he made love to me" will come up which, back in the '30s - '50s, meant something like "the man said romantic things to the woman to get her interested in him" and nothing more and nothing physical (other than he might have tried a chaste kiss).

But with what it means today, it can creates some funny scenes where, for example, the most innocent looking fifteen-year-old daughter will tell her Ozzie and Harriet parents at breakfast when asked about "the dance" last night, "oh, two of the boys made love to me last night."

And of course, the term "gay" (which seems to have meant homosexual even back then, but only in the insular world of homosexuals) is used to mean "happy" or "upbeat," which also leads to some funny lines in movies to our modern-day understanding of the word.

In Spanish, the word "cojer" meant "to
take" or "grab" when I was growing up.

Go to Google and type "Spanish to English translation" in the search mode.

When the window opens.... type the word
"cojer" in the box to see what this word translates to English today.

o_O
No kidding!

Last edited:

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Built 1938. Still looks like brand new. Official Dallas Landmark. 100 foot
536885529_402cf5d8eb.jpg
tall.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There was a very impressive neon Reddy Kilowatt outside the Electric Utilities of America pavilion at the 1939 NYWF. Can't find any decent photos of it online, but it turns up in a lot of the Kodachrome home movies of the Fair.

Reddy at that time was still very much in his original incarnation, as a skinny, gangly fellow. The neon sign used this basic pose, but was animated so his pointing finger flicked back and forth.

02-ReddyKilo-700_400_73d47860-812b-4431-bb22-94c750df773a-prv.jpg

There was a very impressive neon Reddy Kilowatt outside the Electric Utilities of America pavilion at the 1939 NYWF. Can't find any decent photos of it online, but it turns up in a lot of the Kodachrome home movies of the Fair.

Reddy at that time was still very much in his original incarnation, as a skinny, gangly fellow. The neon sign used this basic pose, but was animated so his pointing finger flicked back and forth.

02-ReddyKilo-700_400_73d47860-812b-4431-bb22-94c750df773a-prv.jpg

My introduction to Reddy was a large, lit version mounted to the side of the DP&L Tate substation you would pass while driving south on I-75. He was 2-3 stories tall. I have yet to be able to find a photo. They tore down the Tate about 20 years ago.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points