Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'm imagining this image as one of those locations from above post except shot from the inside.
Nevertheless, I like the straw hat with the
plastic front built-in visor which color has to
be Coca-Cola green.
I've seen 1930s Ray-Ban sunglasses with that
color.

8A35C4F9-DF57-431C-8144-7403C2D6665E.jpeg

Cactus lamp post across from neon grill diner.
276551EB-199A-4FEC-BC68-5ADAC873D679.jpeg

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I would not drive by any one of these places - they would act like a magnet to my car.

I miss the one near my neighborhood.
Nothing fancy about the small chuck wagon building.
But these folks made the best tastin' burgers and chili.
I took it for granted that they would always be there.
Now...sometimes I'll go to a "whataburger"
for a burger & fries and look at the photos
on the wall.
94876938-CC29-4413-8ADB-22514113E7E0.jpeg

5C0CDC81-14AB-4D40-8654-4BE478349690.jpeg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Tamales were a very popular roadside food in the Southwest in the 1930s -- "Hot tamales, hot tamales, get 'em while they're good and hot," sung to the tune of La Cucaracha and all that -- and they were well-known as a canned product as well. The Walker's Austex company, based in Texas, advertised widely in the back pages of magazines, and also used transcribed radio programs with a "tex-mex" motif to attract notice.
mexene-gh-11-01-1933-211-a-m3.jpg

"Chili joints" -- cheap restaurants specializing in chili and such things -- were very, very popular across much of the US before the war, especially in sections of the Midwest. The chili capital of the world in the 1930s wasn't anywhere in the southwest -- it was Cincinnati, which ate more chili per capita than any other city.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
On visit across the border South, I discovered that a "bowl of chili" or "flour" tortillas was not common in Mexico but was a product and origin from the US.

And a big thank you Lizzie.
This place would have a huge echo without you.
I cherish that I am a member of this forum
while you are here as well.

Tamales were a very popular roadside food in the Southwest in the 1930s -- "Hot tamales, hot tamales, get 'em while they're good and hot," sung to the tune of La Cucaracha and all that -- and they were well-known as a canned product as well. The Walker's Austex company, based in Texas, advertised widely in the back pages of magazines, and also used transcribed radio programs with a "tex-mex" motif to attract notice.
mexene-gh-11-01-1933-211-a-m3.jpg

"Chili joints" -- cheap restaurants specializing in chili and such things -- were very, very popular across much of the US before the war, especially in sections of the Midwest. The chili capital of the world in the 1930s wasn't anywhere in the southwest -- it was Cincinnati, which ate more chili per capita than any other city.

Except we call them chili parlors.

And while I dearly love my Cincy chili (Skyline, Gold Star, Camp Washington, etc.), I must admit that calling it "chili" is confusing and a bit of a stretch. While yes, it's a spice-filled concoction of meat, sauce, and other ingredients, it's a decidedly different animal. As it is served over spaghetti, with the options of onions, beans, and covered in cheese, it's wholly unlike anything you get anywhere else, and seems to be mainly confined to the Cincinnati-Dayton area, with some spillage into Columbus, Indy, and northern Kentucky.

2dc841bdf28dc417a97e9fce08de1486.jpeg

YUMMY!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Except we call them chili parlors.

And while I dearly love my Cincy chili (Skyline, Gold Star, Camp Washington, etc.), I must admit that calling it "chili" is confusing and a bit of a stretch.

YUMMY!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
F427C91B-BF89-4790-94BF-9775B2E3144B.jpeg

There was a time I could devour these
"yummies" without waking up in the middle of the night and taking a swallow of Pepto-Bismol. :p

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Same here...eating a couple of those nowadays would put me on the porcelain throne for a week (sorry for the crass mental imagery, lol).[emoji43]

However, it might be worth it. [emoji14][emoji106]
View attachment 130478
There was a time I could devour these
"yummies" without waking up in the middle of the night and taking a swallow of Pepto-Bismol. :p

Rob

Haversack

One Too Many
Both tamales and enchiladas were a staple at San Francisco's old oceanside amusement park, Playland at the Beach. Bull Pup began selling enchiladas in 1923 and the Hot House started selling tamales in 1934.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Both tamales and enchiladas were a staple at San Francisco's old oceanside amusement park, Playland at the Beach. Bull Pup began selling enchiladas in 1923 and the Hot House started selling tamales in 1934.

I wasn't aware that tamales were known
outside of Texas until Lizzie pointed it out.
I was aware that California has them but
I didn't know they went that far back in
history especially for up North.
Which makes me wonder :(

5F3AF58F-DD0F-4C50-A317-8E80FB14D6F4.jpeg

I'm imagining this image as one of those locations from above post except shot from the inside.
Nevertheless, I like the straw hat with the
plastic front built-in visor which color has to
be Coca-Cola green.
I've seen 1930s Ray-Ban sunglasses with that
color.

View attachment 130466

Cactus lamp post across from neon grill diner.
View attachment 130467
That cactus lamp post is something else entirely!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk