Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

a456486b64b8e561ada0311ebce093fe.jpg
5645b719cc95ab6546679aa3868cb1e8.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Pig-Stand-1924-DMN-ad.png

1925 Dallas Morning News ad
Credit is often given to Kirby for creating the first drive-in restaurant. And rightly so, if, for anything, the fact that the concept of carhops was first introduced at the original Pig Stand. There are plenty of other firsts attributed to them too: the first onion ring, the first chicken-fried steak sandwich, Texas toast, neon lights. Some of those claims might be hard to prove, but they all serve as anecdotal evidence of Kirby and Jackson’s innovativeness.
images.jpg

Survivor
2597727299_37c31f2856_b.jpg

View attachment 132110
1925 Dallas Morning News ad
Credit is often given to Kirby for creating the first drive-in restaurant. And rightly so, if, for anything, the fact that the concept of carhops was first introduced at the original Pig Stand. There are plenty of other firsts attributed to them too: the first onion ring, the first chicken-fried steak sandwich, Texas toast, neon lights. Some of those claims might be hard to prove, but they all serve as anecdotal evidence of Kirby and Jackson’s innovativeness.
View attachment 132111

Survivor
View attachment 132112

The first onion ring - that deserves a plaque or national day of honor or something.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The first onion ring - that deserves a plaque or national day of honor or something.

As I was posting this the other day...I wasn’t quite sure regarding the
"first onion ring” and it’s origin from this location where I reside.

Today I read on Wikipedia.
Quote:
"The exact origins of the onion ring are unknown, but in 1933 a recipe for deep-fried onion rings that are dipped in milk then dredged in flour appeared in a Crisco advertisement in The New York Times Magazine. A recipe for French Fried Onions may have appeared in the Middletown, New York Daily Times on 13 January 1910.”

Perhaps our Lizziepedia may provide some insight. :)

Last edited:
One of the things I find fascinating about the Golden Era is how insanely popular dancing was. People danced in dancehalls (okay, but that term encompassed a lot from "pay for a dance" taxi dancers to the monster-sized Roseland Ballroom), juke joints, restaurants (from snooty high-end places to diners), their homes, on the streets, to anywhere and everywhere. If good news happened to a couple, they might spontaneously get up and dance, cheek to cheek, without music and wherever they were.

Sure, you can say people dance in all those places today, but it is not ubiquitous the way it was in the GE where even tiny restaurants tried to carve out a place for dancing. You see it in the movies and read it in the books of the period where it was such a culture norm (a "meme" [vomit]) that it seemed to happen without anyone thinking it was odd - cause, to them, it wasn't.

91afbe7e8aa36664b75cfb6bed5782c3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points