Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
FFE263F2-8EB1-4BB4-AA53-589CB3CF19AD.jpeg
ADA2FBA0-ABE1-4094-976C-41F3FAC07C94.jpeg
F977DBCE-8065-42A9-9B88-615B335ED6E3.jpeg

535D21B1-844E-4B7A-BEC4-A806E377CDC1.jpeg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Early example of a high-concept chain restaurant in Manhattan -- Longchamp's was Bickfords for the bourgeoisie. There were several outlets around the city, and others dotted along the Eastern Seaboard before the chain folded in the 1970s.

The Deco treatment was the work of a prominent 1930s architect named Ely Jacques Kahn, and Brother Fading will be interested to know that EJK was the fellow a certain A. Rand job-shadowed during her research for "The Fountainhead."

SEROTA-08-Longchamps-sm.jpg

The doorman was included as part of the design package.

Early example of a high-concept chain restaurant in Manhattan -- Longchamp's was Bickfords for the bourgeoisie. There were several outlets around the city, and others dotted along the Eastern Seaboard before the chain folded in the 1970s.

The Deco treatment was the work of a prominent 1930s architect named Ely Jacques Kahn, and Brother Fading will be interested to know that EJK was the fellow a certain A. Rand job-shadowed during her research for "The Fountainhead."

SEROTA-08-Longchamps-sm.jpg

The doorman was included as part of the design package.

Great stuff Lizzie.

I guess my parents and grandparents weren't bourgeoisie (they were just happy to eat after the Depression) as I don't ever remember Longchamps being mentioned, but the GE restaurants I do remember them mentioning were Horn and Hardart, Chock full o' Nuts and Schrafft's - much more proletariat :). And my grandmother went to her grave loving Friendly's.

I did find this fun fact from the NYC Public Library site (they have a great historic-menus resource - link below):

Which I assume is a plate of several different grilled things - meat, chicken fish? - I don't know and the web information was all over the map on it.

Longchamps menus (and many more) here: http://menus.nypl.org/menu_pages/53658

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yep, "Mixed Grill" was a very popular thing on midprice restaurant menus. It usually emphasized beef, veal, and lamb, and usually featured a small steak, a chop, and maybe a cutlet. Fish might appear if the place was in a seafood-oriented area, but usually not chicken -- chicken was usually served in some Frenchish manner, or fried if it appeared on a menu at all.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
September was "back to school" time & a trip downtown to...
9DA26FC7-D1FF-48F0-90C1-F422A8E039CE.jpeg
303C76EF-FD48-4DCF-8795-055BD813EE08.jpeg
BBE3477E-30EC-4861-AA4D-5AB7B93382B7.jpeg

Poll Parrot on counter
1D937FC4-34EA-4530-9613-D22F696EE372.jpeg

Giveaway goodie
7D39CF7B-776A-4426-8054-67415F348827.jpeg

Shoes were for school and Sundays when
the entire clan would gather at grandma's
house.
My aunts and uncles would sit outside on
the porch enjoying "pan dulce" from the
local bakery, tea or coffee and actually
carried a conversation while we played in
the yard.

Yep, "Mixed Grill" was a very popular thing on midprice restaurant menus. It usually emphasized beef, veal, and lamb, and usually featured a small steak, a chop, and maybe a cutlet. Fish might appear if the place was in a seafood-oriented area, but usually not chicken -- chicken was usually served in some Frenchish manner, or fried if it appeared on a menu at all.

You probably knew about it, but if not - the NYC Library menu resource is cool. They did a menu exhibit years ago that we went to which was great as seeing the menus in person is much more impactful than on-line.

Can't hear the term without thinking of cat food, though.

3fingers

One Too Many
September was "back to school" time & a trip downtown to...
View attachment 135584 View attachment 135585 View attachment 135581
Poll Parrot on counter
View attachment 135582

Giveaway goodie
View attachment 135586

Shoes were for school and Sundays when
the entire clan would gather at grandma's
house.
My aunts and uncles would sit outside on
the porch enjoying "pan dulce" from the
local bakery, tea or coffee and actually
carried a conversation while we played in
the yard.
I was a Poll Parrot kid. Every fall involved a trip to Baymillers to get school shoes whether I liked the idea or not. They always had little packages of fruit flavored Lifesavers for you at the counter after you had been through the Brannock mill and chose your new shoes. We had no Red Goose dealer nearby that I recall.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The Plaza
Plaza.jpg

Folks took my sister and me to see Snow White at this theater.
Next door to the left was a drugstore that made the best chocolate malts in town.

Up the road and about six blocks away was my grandma's house where I spent the summers with
her.
Little did I know until later, that this was the best time of my life when I was a kid.

Last edited:
The Plaza
View attachment 135793

Folks took my sister and me to see Snow White at this theater.
Next door to the left was a drugstore that made the best chocolate malts in town.

Up the road and about six blocks away was my grandma's house where I spent the summers with
her.
Little did I know until later, that this was the best time of my life when I was a kid.

Lizzie, is the Coke sign on the Plaza building a "privilege" sign? It doesn't look Coke-centric enough, so I'm guessing not.

...Folks took my sister and me to see Snow White at this theater.
her.

There are two ways to look at that. You can be sad that the best came so early or grateful that you had an enjoyable childhood.

They haven't printed enough money to get me to relive one day of my childhood. I knew as a kid that I'd like being an adult better and I have - that's one call in life I got right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy