Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Actually, I believe that was a privilege sign. It was a standard format, that green background and gold lettering with the Coke logo on the side, and you saw it on drugstores, cafes and lunchrooms all over the place from the 1940's onward. It came in different sizes and styles, usually with a rectangualr Drink Coca-Cola plaque, but often replaced with the late fifties "fishtail" variation, and sometimes with dark lettering on a white background. You probabaly really had to go whole-hog for Coke to get one.

CoronaDeliLuncheonette72800.jpg

As for childhood, while there are a few things I remember that are worth revisiting, on the whole, it was a joyless exercise for me. And adolescence was even worse, as was early adulthood. In fact, I think the only time in my life that I ever felt really happy and secure was age 51. I wouldn't mind being 51 again, but the rest of it, bleah.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
There are two ways to look at that. You can be sad that the best came so early or grateful that you had an enjoyable childhood.

They haven't printed enough money to get me to relive one day of my childhood. I knew as a kid that I'd like being an adult better and I have - that's one call in life I got right.

Im grateful to have had folks who gave me love and affection growing up.
Life was good and care free.
Afterwards...it got better.
I met the love of my life when I came back from the military.
2ueqols.jpg

We met at the tennis courts and have been tennis partners
for 30+ years.

I am blessed to have had an wonderful life.
I'm sorry to hear about your childhood.
My Best to you and Super Girlfriend!

Last edited:
Actually, I believe that was a privilege sign. It was a standard format, that green background and gold lettering with the Coke logo on the side, and you saw it on drugstores, cafes and lunchrooms all over the place from the 1940's onward. It came in different sizes and styles, usually with a rectangualr Drink Coca-Cola plaque, but often replaced with the late fifties "fishtail" variation, and sometimes with dark lettering on a white background. You probabaly really had to go whole-hog for Coke to get one.

CoronaDeliLuncheonette72800.jpg

As for childhood, while there are a few things I remember that are worth revisiting, on the whole, it was a joyless exercise for me. And adolescence was even worse, as was early adulthood. In fact, I think the only time in my life that I ever felt really happy and secure was age 51. I wouldn't mind being 51 again, but the rest of it, bleah.

Re Coke, that all makes sense. I didn't see the other "bookended" Coke sign (that I'm now sure is there), don't have your in-depth knowledge and just thought it seemed like a lot of "total" sign for Coke to spring for to only get that small amount of real-estate at the end.

Im grateful to have had folks who gave me love and affection growing up.
Life was good and care free.
Afterwards...it got better.
I met the love of my life when I came back from the military.
2ueqols.jpg

We met at the tennis courts and have been tennis partners
for 30+ years.

I am blessed to have had an wonderful life.
I'm sorry to hear about your childhood.
My Best to you and Super Girlfriend!

Re, well, all of it. My childhood was one of staying off the radar - which I got good at fast - which, to be very fair, made it a pretty uneventful one. Not too many negatives (like way too many suffer), just one of walking on too many eggshells. Anywho, while I've taken the sharp body blow from life now and again (as does everyone), I've enjoyed my entire adult life and am grateful for that. Most people have "stuff" from their childhood - and, as noted, many much worse than mine - so my attitude is just get on with moving forward and don't let all that past stuff drag you down. Kudos to you 2Jakes - you have enjoyed your life and, despite how you present it, it has a lot to do with the goodness and positive attitude you have and project - nobody has a decades long run of good luck / you make your life happen.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Re, well, all of it. My childhood was one of staying off the radar - which I got good at fast - which, to be very fair, made it a pretty uneventful one. Not too many negative (like way too many suffer), just one of walking on too many eggshells. Anywho, while I've taken the sharp body blow from life now and again (as does everyone), I've enjoyed my entire adult life and am grateful for that. Most people have "stuff" from their childhood - and, as noted, many much worse than mine - so my attitude is just get on with moving forward and don't let all that past stuff drag you down. Kudos to you 2Jakes - you have enjoyed your life and, despite how you present it, it has a lot to do with the goodness and positive attitude you have and project - nobody has a decades long run of good luck / you make your life happen.

Fading Fast... You're right.... I made things happen.
I was never one to sit back and lament on the negative.
For example, going back to when I was five... and living with my grandmother.
Nobody provided toys for me. When I saw the kids playing with their toy soldiers.
I’d grab some scissors and old tire tubes and made cutouts of soldiers to play with.
I had more fun with my creations then the soldiers I got later at Christmas time.

One of my cousins would sit at the kitchen table and pout because nothing was
prepared when he was hungry.

With me, I'd opened up the fridge and take bacon and eggs and fix my own.
I made a mess in the kitchen but I wasn’t hungry.

I discovered long ago that a smile and treating others the way I wanted to be treated made for some good things happening.
I have been told many times from people in all walks of life that they are
comfortable with me because I accept them as they are and do not pass judgment.
Over the years, I have interviewed gang members and folks on death row.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Early morning walks to school and the aroma of freshly baked bread :p
Butter Krust on Broadway & Alamo.
81050b8e915f2319328eac9eca6241dc.jpg

Practically everywhere you looked throughout the city...
e101b0780aa338c87f46db6331f5c12b.jpg

A rotary wheel in back of billboard gave the illusion of slices of bread coming out.

f4b2678da5cce977188980eb423a0c8a.jpg

School book covers and pencils.

vintage-butter-krust-door-pull_1_79b7b8b28833586ee81d34183535b857.jpg

Door pull at "mom-and-pop” stores.

img_0833.jpg

Building was purchased by Guenther & Sons (Pioneer Flour) and converted to offices or work stations.

(not sure why the flag is at half mast...unless its because of
the passing away
of the Butter Krust Factory) :(

Last edited:

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Compared to my wife's chaotic early childhood (drunkard, abusive father), my childhood was relatively stolid and uneventful...I had a great childhood with a loving family, almost bordering on boring, lol.

We've been married for 30 years this October, with two great now-grown sons, and I will have to say she's made me a better man than I would have been without her influence... living adulthood (and being a father) has been the best time of my life. [emoji106]

Rob

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
....she's made me a better man than I would have been without her influence... living adulthood (and being a father) has been the best time of my life. [emoji106]

Rob

Brother Rob..you and I have been blessed!
Sometimes looking at photos or reflecting on those that are no longer with me,
I feel like the ride of life went by too fast sometimes.
I’m putting the brakes...slowing down and making the most of it with my lady.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
91a03093-79a0-485a-9ecf-c98f5b245475.jpg

One of the reasons 52nd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues was the Mecca for swing fans -- Leon & Eddie's was one of the most important jazz clubs of the Era, at its peak from the late thirties thru the war years. After the war it fell on hard times as swing fell out of favor, and after a brief run where it changed its focus to bebop, it closed in 1953.

Neon has always been difficult to maintain, and it didn't matter how fancy your operation -- keeping it fully lit was always a consuming job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran