Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
79ED03FB-B927-4519-A36D-2FD8622EEBCF.jpeg
A TTC streetcar sweeper clears the road on Coxwell near Queen St.
5CD2CBEE-96D7-4E61-9DE9-F6C284C762CE.jpeg

FE241BE5-6447-45A6-98CD-85879B0A9D4D.jpeg

D0D5C18A-DA0B-4FA8-A858-1C9EE0E22F3E.jpeg

When I saw this pic, it reminded of the town I grew up in, but the pics I found on line didn't really reflect that well. There were several streets that looked just like this ⇧, but again, so far, I haven't found the pics that show that.

These two ⇩ give a bit of a feel for it, but the don't capture that run of tightly packed early 20th Century brick buildings with storefronts on the ground level that New Brunswick NJ had several streets of that looked just like the above (sans the trolley - while it had one in early in the last Century, it was gone pretty earlier):

Albany_theater_soldiers.jpg large-2.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
http%3A%2F%2Fa.amz.mshcdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F06%2FNeon-2.jpg

51st Street looking toward 7th Avenue. It looks like two hotels, but it's really only one. In 1939, the dowdy old Hotel Victoria carved off a piece of itself to be renamed the Abbey, as a discount hotel intended to attract the throngs of tourists expected to flood into the city for the World's Fair. The Fair only lasted two years, but the Abbey lingered for decades as a favorite cheap-lodging spot for those having business in the theatre district, gaining the nickname "Shabby Abbey" in the process.

Turn the corner and you're standing in front of the Roxy, once the most lavish movie house in town, but quickly eclipsed by Radio City Music Hall -- which lured away even "Roxy" Rothafel himself. But it's still an experience -- and with nearly six thousand seats it's not like they're going to be sold out or anything. You've got nothing better to do, it's cold and wet and slushy out, and there's probably something showing with Tyrone Power or Alice Faye that'll help you kill a couple of hours.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
One of the best Christmas movies ever made. [emoji106][emoji3]

Rob

I Agree!
I was working at Joske’s of Texas department store in the camera dept.
ms362_101-0144_joskes.jpg
dyn3oy.png

(postcard I made for friends during the holidays)
It was around the holidays and I sold some film to Darren McGavin.
This
was before he had made “Christmas Story”.
I remember him from a TV series about werewolves or vampires called,
“Kolchak the Nightstalker”. Mr. McGavin was a very friendly easy-going
person.

I never saw " Christmas Story” in theaters, it was much later when it was
aired on television all day marathon during the holiday season.
I read that the initial reviews were both good and not so good.

025_daily_news_11-18-83.jpg

Critics...what do they know about BB guns! :mad:

Last edited:
http%3A%2F%2Fa.amz.mshcdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F06%2FNeon-2.jpg

51st Street looking toward 7th Avenue. It looks like two hotels, but it's really only one. In 1939, the dowdy old Hotel Victoria carved off a piece of itself to be renamed the Abbey, as a discount hotel intended to attract the throngs of tourists expected to flood into the city for the World's Fair. The Fair only lasted two years, but the Abbey lingered for decades as a favorite cheap-lodging spot for those having business in the theatre district, gaining the nickname "Shabby Abbey" in the process.

Turn the corner and you're standing in front of the Roxy, once the most lavish movie house in town, but quickly eclipsed by Radio City Music Hall -- which lured away even "Roxy" Rothafel himself. But it's still an experience -- and with nearly six thousand seats it's not like they're going to be sold out or anything. You've got nothing better to do, it's cold and wet and slushy out, and there's probably something showing with Tyrone Power or Alice Faye that'll help you kill a couple of hours.

I've seen movies in some of those old gigantic NYC theaters (other than Radio City, most have been demolished by now as the economics don't support them). It is quite an experience to sit in a multi-thousand seat theater to see a movie. Even the "new" Ziegfeld (built in '66 and now gone) was north of a thousand seats and was one of my favorites. I'd go out of my way to see a movie there - I saw revivals of "Dr Zhivago" and "North by NorthWest" there over the years.

Another excellent movie.

Seeing these photos of lost, demolished imagination palaces bring a tear of nostalgia to my mind's eye.

Rob

We saw "Sunset Boulevard" earlier this year at a TCM-sponsored showing in a movie theater. I loved that movie from the first time I saw it on TV (and the many subsequent viewing), but seeing it on the big screen was a meaningfully better experience. My comments on it at the time I saw it: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...ovie-you-watched.20830/page-1257#post-2417375

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
We actually went to see it recently in a theater, also; being a big Jack Webb fan myself, it was good to see him in an early role before Dragnet.

As a matter of fact, we always go to the Fathom Event movies every month... We are going to see "Rebel Without a Cause" this Sunday.

James Dean, he was keen... And Sunday movies are no longer taboo. [emoji6][emoji106]

Rob

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
We actually went to see it recently in a theater, also; being a big Jack Webb fan myself, it was good to see him in an early role before Dragnet.

As a matter of fact, we always go to the Fathom Event movies every month... We are going to see "Rebel Without a Cause" this Sunday.

James Dean, he was keen... And Sunday movies are no longer taboo. [emoji6][emoji106]

Rob

Years ago, the college film department sponsored “Rebel” on
the big screen.
Although I've seen it many times. It was mostly in black-and-white
on TV and later in color at home.

20121227__20121230_E8_BK30SCREENp1.jpg

Viewing it on the big screen was a different & enjoyable experience,
felt like I was watching it for the first time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran