Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

While it's a hot mess of a sign, I kind of like it's over-the-top Mid-Century Modernness (and the silly diver):
fa3a11cdc09cc24e8c47818853d8e3e9.jpg

Ok, so this sailor walks into the "Helm Bar and Grill." Nothing happens, because the only people who ever walk into the Helm Bar and Grill are sailors.

b577cb863bfb5a5afeaeeee1a0325e9b.jpg

Great pic and I get your joke, but my two cents is it's all demographics. If there is a "shortage" of men in the community, the women will find that bar / if there's a shortage of women, that bar will not attract them.

I'm out of that game now, but in my 20s and 30s, I found "understanding" the demographics of the various bar scenes / locations interesting at theoretical and practical level.

Also, kinda cool that the cars are all parked partially on the sidewalk - do you think that's to give the streetcar room to get by?

While it's a hot mess of a sign, I kind of like it's over-the-top Mid-Century Modernness (and the silly diver):
View attachment 136672
I am a sucker for any sign with anything even remotely sputnik-y involved.

The big floating blocks for each individual letter are a nice touch, too, and the diver takes it to the next level entirely.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Following the theme ... (although I have posted this before I'm sure). The smaller sign that says "Mexican Food" used to say "Tacos to Go". I had called the sign company and asked about the "Tacos to Go" and they said they had the glass and I could have it. When I called back I found out the guy that I had talked to (and did the work) died of electrocution on a separate job. I didn't have the heart to pursue it after that.

00d3c068a3d628be9475008ab41d22d872c0f017_mexican-villa-sr-0055-copy.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Hard to believe the "i" in the original "hungry i" of the late fifties stood for "intellectual." It was the most sophisticated comedy club in the country, home base for the likes of Dick Gregory, Lenny Bruce, Shelly Berman, Bob Newhart, and Mort Sahl. No stripping went on then, other than the stripping of preconceived notions from buttoned-down minds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran