Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Peters Bros. Shady Oak OR Style Hat

TPD166

One Too Many
Vintage Peters Bros. Shady Oak Hat – Open Road styled hat in Silverbelly (more tan), lightweight felt (quality not marked – seems similar to my ‘50s Royal Stetson, maybe a little lighter weight). There is no size tag, but was sold to me as a 7-3/8 and fits like a small 3/8 or large 7-1/4. Bound brim is 2-1/2” wide and un-bashed crown is about 5” tall. Lining and sweatband are in very good condition – overall condition is very good. It does not appear to have been worn much, but does have a very small spot on the front of the crown (hard to see = but visible in photos 1 and 3) – have not tried to get the spot out. Vintage is unknown – my guess is 1960s to 1970s, but I am not that familiar with Peters Brothers hats (the current ones are over $300 – this is not what I would consider a $300 hat). A nice, quality vintage Open Road style hat – if I didn’t have similar ORs I would likely keep it. Asking $80.00 shipped in the U.S. I would also consider trades for vintage thin ribbons in 7-3/8 or 7-1/2. If you are interested or have any questions, please send me a PM or email (preferred) thru TFL.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is it rigid or flexible? A good candidate for a fedora re-crease? Sweat tight and w/o rot, 'cuz I'm a solid 7 3/8 & it sounds like it'll need a stretch.

And what size are you looking to trade for?

Thanks,

RB

TPD166

One Too Many
It is a very soft felt. I tried a few dry bashes, including a teardrop, but just left it in the cattleman crease it came with. I think it would reshape easily with steam. I wear between a 7-3/8 and a 7-1/2 and it fits me - but it's not a loose fit. I kept a hat-jack in it. The sweat appears to be in good shape, but I have bad luck with stretches & sweatbands so I never pushed it with the hat-jack.

For trades, I would be interested in vintage thin ribbons in 7-3/8 or 7-1/2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko