Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Phones

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, if you're lucky enough to find a phone that has the original plug, you could look for an adaptor to plug into and then plug into the wall.

A little history for those who are new to old phones.

In the 20s and into the 40s, phones had short line cords. They mostly sat on small tables, or little built in alcoves designed for telephones. The line cord didn't exactly "plug into" a wall... they were more permanent then that. There would be a small box that the line came out from what I've seen... then the line went into a larger box called a subset or a ringer box. Then, the line would travel out of that box (being approximately 6-7 feet long) and go into the phone its self. The first small box was attached to the wall and that's where the line came from out side.

So, most of the time when one finds a phone from either the 40s or earlier with the original line cord, you'll just see a busted cord or a disconnected cord with yellow, green, red and black wires coming out of it. That's where it was connected to the ringer box/subset. Plugs didn't come into use until the 50s. And the modern modular plug didn't come around until the 70s or 80s.

If you purchase an antique telephone and it has the original line cord you can do one of two things... If the cord is in really good shape and the phone hasn't bells of it's own and you'd need a ringer box, find one and hook it up to that and then call one of many antique telephone business out there on the web and order some line cord with a modular plug and plug that into the wall. But, if your phone is one of many that did have the bells in the phone its self, then order just as much line cord as you feel you need from Phoneco or another place and they come with the modern modular plug already on there!

Answer your question?

Re-wired

I have never done such a fixer job, but if you do a search for "vintage phones" on the web like in google or yahoo there are places that carry replacement parts and parts to up date to use as an extension in your home.

Some places can redo your phone for you if you are not that handy.

Not only do they have the electrical stuff but things like the center dial cap and the paper slip that the number goes in it. Don't forget to see if your phone number works into something like MAdison 7-5555.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
One can even find diagrams on the web of old telephones... common ones such as Western Electric, most models... Candlestick's to 302's! Phoneco is the place I order the receiver and line cords from, they don't cost too much and they're of a decent quality.

Just enter "phoneco" into a search box in Google and you'll find it! They also have a phone number and they can send you a catalog of their parts and prices... they also sell restored or remodeled telephones... not cheap but, if ya have the dough, why not right?

Good luck!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Yes, this is true! It's amazing what a big deal old telephones really are... I mean, there are so many clubs who collect telephones and such that there's a market for making parts and cords for these things!

Puts a smile on my face to know tha there are people out there that care about these old things.

Bingles

A-List Customer
Heather said:
How difficult would it be to modernize the plug on a vintage phone? I guess they call that retrofitting?[huh] I apologize if this has already been asked...

I sent my Western Electric 202 phone to the man at www.oldphones.com two years ago when the dial was off and needed to be re set (meaning it dialed the wrong number). He did a wonderful job, and was very reasonable. He's had his site going for years, so if you were looking for someone to restore the phone for you.. or retrofit it, I would recommend him.

Bingles

A-List Customer
Pulse to Tone Converter

I had mentioned one of these devices before, but a friend of mine alerted me to a better version than the one I knew about. This device (also "plug and play") not only converts the number pulses into tone signals for use on modern lines as well as VoIP systems, but also gives you the ability to get the * and # from your rotary as well... for example, you would hold the 1 at the finger stop for three seconds to get the # tone. All you have to do is plug your rotary phone into one end of the device, and then plug the device's cord into the phone jack. Then you're 80 year old phone is ready to use on the latest 21st century phone services!!

dialgizmo_200.jpg

It can be purchased here: http://www.dialgizmo.com/?source=google&gclid=COzpoqqXupwCFQtN5QodKyizmw

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
I just ran across this wall phone on the net and bought it. I plan on putting it in the kitchen and I can hardly wait.

Ericcson wall phone. I don't know much about them the seller claims it is from 1932.

BYjcEwgWkKGrHgoH-DsEjlLl1JwPBKiKbWQ.jpg

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Aristaeus said:
I just ran across this wall phone on the net and bought it. I plan on putting it in the kitchen and I can hardly wait.

Ericcson wall phone. I don't know much about them the seller claims it is from 1932.

BYjcEwgWkKGrHgoH-DsEjlLl1JwPBKiKbWQ.jpg

Nice one! I have one similar to it in my kitchen. :)

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
The one I use isn't as old as most of these; it's probably 50s or 60s, but basic and black. Sadly, it's got a lot of noise now, noise that makes it real hard to use. I don't mind hanging up when I get an automated call telling me to press one for x and two for y, but I can't bear to shout my words, and strain my ears in an attempt to make anything out through all the static.

But I do like very much having a phone that works in a power outage. ;)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
ThesFlishThngs said:
The one I use isn't as old as most of these; it's probably 50s or 60s, but basic and black. Sadly, it's got a lot of noise now, noise that makes it real hard to use. I don't mind hanging up when I get an automated call telling me to press one for x and two for y, but I can't bear to shout my words, and strain my ears in an attempt to make anything out through all the static.

But I do like very much having a phone that works in a power outage. ;)

Sounds like bad contacts! You may want to send the ol' phone to one of the phone restoration places that were mentioned here in this thread or if you feel you're handy enough, see about crackin' her open... unscrew the four screws at the bottom plate and take a peek at the contacts that the cord attaches too... it may be in the receiver it's self but, it wouldn't hurt to take a look at it or see if someone can do it for ya. These old phones will work and work and work as long as they are maintained to some degree... and unlike the modern phones, these can be maintained!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
PoohBang said:
it's a plastic body... my 202 is metal though...

Oh yes, all 102 types to 202 and early 302's were all metal. It wasn't untill 1942 that Western Electric switched over to plastic (war time production you know ;) ) then it was plastic from then on!

My 302 is metal, dates from about 1938. The earlier 302's that I've seen came out around early '38 or late '37 and still had an E-1 handset! That to me looks weird... the F-1 looks best on 302 models.

Cheers!

Bingles

A-List Customer
Here are some bad cell pics of my phones. The first is a chrome WE 202 with bakelite handset. I LOVE it. The ringer box is on the floor... it works like a charm.

we202-1.jpg

The second is a WE 302. No, it doesn't work.. which is why I bought it. I replaced the original handset with a bluetooth handset. It makes for talking on the cell more comfortable, and more enjoyable. Just wish this handset was a heavy as the original. After I took the cords out, I ran the charger for the handset through the back of the phone where the line cord would have been, and then out the side where the original handset cord would have been. This way, it acts as a charging station as well as a cradle when not in use.

WE302-1.jpg

Bingles

A-List Customer
The Wolf said:
Great phones.
There is something amusing about taking photos of your old phones with your cell phone.:eusa_clap

Sincerely,
The Wolf

HAHA.. I didn't even think of that. Oh, the irony. To be honest though, I use my cell for all the little gadgets it offers (it's a Blackberry)... and mostly communicate through texting. When I make a phone call, I prefer to use my 202. The clarity is SO much better than any cell phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany