Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Phones

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
A chrome 202 eh? Don't believe that's factory but, to each his own.

My self, I like the glossy mysteriousness of an all black phone... As you know, I’m a purest and love to see my phones in old movies and make that connection to the past right in my living room.

By the way, that radio your 302 sits on is quite lovely, what make and year is it?

Bingles

A-List Customer
Novophone

Novophone has taken the ORIGINAL handset from the WE 500 desk series phones, and converted them to be used with your cell phone. I've seen some really great reviews on these phones, for their clarity and of course their durability.

I wish I mas more tech savy. I'm dying to get a F1 handset like this to replace the rather flimsy bluetooth model I currently use. Anyone out there know someone who can do this sort of thing? :rolleyes:

novophones1b.jpg

Bingles

A-List Customer
Forgotten Man said:
A chrome 202 eh? Don't believe that's factory but, to each his own.

My self, I like the glossy mysteriousness of an all black phone... As you know, I’m a purest and love to see my phones in old movies and make that connection to the past right in my living room.

By the way, that radio your 302 sits on is quite lovely, what make and year is it?

I've seen chrome models in old movies before.. maybe they were special order? Who knows.

The radio is a 1941 Philco... works GREAT! I love to listen to old radio shows on it.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Bingles, you PM’d me about this the other day and I’d quite forgotten about it until just now. I’m very sorry.

There’s not too much tech savvy required to build a plug-in handset for a cellphone, just (minimal) soldering skill.

This link explains how to do it. I started down this path (though I was wiring mine into the entire telephone) and it was working out well until I hit a snag. The carbon microphone in my old AE 80 (Automatic Electric’s version of the WE 500) requires power in the line to work, and the cellphone doesn’t provide that. It should work okay with a newer phone, though, and I think they produced the 500s until the 1980s.

For the record, I have the bluetooth handset from ThinkGeek, which I think is the flimsy one you’re referring to. I’ll admit to being a bit disappointed with its lightweight nature (I think it's the same unit used with the Crosley retro phones sold at Target), but overall I’m pleased. The WE 500 handset will be better, though, as the triangular grip on the older-style discourages use on the shoulder.

-Dave

Bingles

A-List Customer
For me, trying to follow those directions is like trying to read Japanese. :p I need tech savy friends for this project... or pay someone to do it! lol

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Bingles said:
For me, trying to follow those directions is like trying to read Japanese. :p I need tech savy friends for this project... or pay someone to do it! lol

Try walking into your local Radio Shack, hobby shop, or independently owned hardware store. Ask the clerks and anyone that looks like they tend to hang around if they know of anyone who solders electronics and tell him or her about your project.

Odds are someone will volunteer to do the work, maybe for a small fee, maybe for the love of electronics. Print those instructions and let them take care of the project for you. I’ll bet you get both your handset and a tech-savvy friend.

-Dave

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I have three vintage phones in the house and don't see the point in giving up my principals whilst in transit,"

3800833672_1abd03fc97_m.jpg

3800839700_c8af6524a3_m.jpg

"Thank GOD for the Novophone it allows you to have the convenience of a Cell/Mobile, with a chunky handset to tuck under your chin whilst talking, and eating Blinis with caviar, its perfect, do admit?"

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Y'know, sometimes there's just no substitute for the nice satisfying heft of an old-school hanset, and the distinctive noise they made being slammed down onto the receiver when forcefully hanging up on somebody...:D lol

The "banker's backup", eh?

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Sorry. This is what I get for posting from an iPhone. Your reference to the weight of old telephones made me think of something I'd once read about bankers sometimes using their hefty telephones to club would-be attackers. I don't think there's an "app" to use my phone for that!

-Dave

Bingles

A-List Customer
David Conwill said:
Try walking into your local Radio Shack, hobby shop, or independently owned hardware store. Ask the clerks and anyone that looks like they tend to hang around if they know of anyone who solders electronics and tell him or her about your project.

Odds are someone will volunteer to do the work, maybe for a small fee, maybe for the love of electronics. Print those instructions and let them take care of the project for you. I’ll bet you get both your handset and a tech-savvy friend.

-Dave

I tried this approach with my tech savy co-workers, and offered them a few bucks. I'm still on my own. lol

I decided to order a corded handset from PotteryBarn.. only problem is that it is white. Thankfully, they have black Krylon paint for plastic. :)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Bingles said:
I've seen chrome models in old movies before.. maybe they were special order? Who knows.

The radio is a 1941 Philco... works GREAT! I love to listen to old radio shows on it.

You have seen chrome 202's before in movies? Do you happen to know off the top of your head if you recall what movie it may have been? I'd sure like to see it... I know there have been some outrageous phones in early WB/Vitaphone pictures... deco to the hilt! I know I have a photo of one of which I've seen somewhere... Oh, here it is...

Anyone happen to know anything about these phones that seem to apear in most early pre-code pictures?
decophone.jpg

So, a '41 Philco eh? Nice set! Of course it works great! It's a PHILCO! ;) Have you posted a full shot of it in the antique radio thread? You should if you haven't! Like to see the whole thing!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
David Conwill said:
Your reference to the weight of old telephones made me think of something I'd once read about bankers sometimes using their hefty telephones to club would-be attackers.

Try that with a modern phone and it will shatter into a million pieces in your hand... lol

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
If the plug has a regular modern modular plug, you can just head to Radio Shack and pick up a "female" adapter that has a longer cord with "male" end on it... or, just call Phoneco and order some cloth covered stuff... costs a little more but, if you want authentic stuff, it's worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR