Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Phones

Rosie

One Too Many
airfrogusmc said:
Rosie I saw Gordon Parks speak in the early 1980s. Not only was he a great photographer but a wonderful man.

I've never had the pleasure of seeing him speak live but recently really got "into" him as an artist.

Rosie

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
Here's a link to a listing of what ATT recommended be used for exchange names in the mid-50's. The other part of that site, which is supposed to have updates based on cities & counties just has a notice they're working on it and need someone to volunteer to re-engineer the site and database. Since it's been like that for quite some time...I'd assume it's pretty much dead in the water.

And I'm going to hazzard a guess (having only live here in Renton for 12 years) that our exchange would've been Crestview, maybe Crestwood. I know the suggested exchange they have for the phone number I grew up with isn't what it actually was - Newmark for the 63 beginning of the number in Long Beach, CA. I think I'll make a sticker for my vintage style reproduction desk phone & candlestick phone - someday I may find the real thing that won't cost an arm & a leg!

Drats! My beginning numbers 5-7 were used as radio numbers back then. I'll have to keep looking. :(

Rosie

One Too Many
Yay!

Look what I just snagged for 14.99! :eek:

bc_1_b.jpg

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I love your desk phone Lady DeWinter, it's so pretty!

I'm just itching to get my hands on a candlestick style phone, I just love 'em!

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Love all these phones! I had a repro candlestick phone when I was a kid...it was quite fun!

This thread got me to looking at Ebay, and I was reminded why Ebay can be so frustrating sometimes...when I searched for "vintage phone"s, there were several listing for "vintage cell phones". Hmmmph. How in the world can a cell phone be "vintage"? :)

But you all certainly have some cool phones! Gotta get me one of those... :)

gpwpat

Familiar Face
My plan is to take my cordless phone and graft it with a antique. so I will have a cordless antique phonw. granted I will have to carry both pieces around and I will still be corded but will be able to walk around the house at least. The only think I will have to have a docking station to charge the antique. well no different than the cordless I guess.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
i've got one of these. haven't quite figured out how to connect a phone with 4 wires to a wall jack with 3
sc1243.jpg

it's a "Stromberg Carlson 1243"

Barry

Practically Family
I've been thinking about purchasing a Western Electric phone for a while. One seller described his/her phones as having a "powder coated" finish. I guess someone else has claimed that this type of finish isn't the best because the same seller was basically defending it in his advertisement. Does anyone have thoughts about this?

Thanks,

Barry

Kimberly

Practically Family
I have one of those common 50's black Westinghouse phones that mounts to the wall and don't feel like taking pics because for some reason the Kodak software is causing my computer to crash. :(

Anyhow, it was here when I bought the house and I love it! My favorite thing is to watch the kids try and use it. They get so frustrated sometimes because it's not as fast as the push button so it teaches them patience. Whenever one of them brings a new friend over they always talk about how cool my house is and are shocked to see that the phone actually works. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points