Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Phones

Nic Charles

Familiar Face
Telephones

Probably the two most popular telephones were the Western Electric Model 202 (introduced in the 1920s) and the Model 302 (introduced in the 1930s). The Model 202 also requires a "Ringer Box", which is a seperate unit, because it does not have a self-contained ringer like the 302 and later models. You can pick these up on ebay, completely refurbished and functioning (yes, you can dial out on them) for around $200. I own one of each and use them on a daily basis. I'll try to post some images of mine later.

bakelite

New in Town
British Bakelite Telephones

Nic Charles said:
Probably the two most popular telephones were the Western Electric Model 202 (introduced in the 1920s) and the Model 302 (introduced in the 1930s). The Model 202 also requires a "Ringer Box", which is a seperate unit, because it does not have a self-contained ringer like the 302 and later models. You can pick these up on ebay, completely refurbished and functioning (yes, you can dial out on them) for around $200. I own one of each and use them on a daily basis. I'll try to post some images of mine later.
The most popular Bakelite phones in England is the 332 (see the ivory one below). These were produced in the 1940's and 50's
204965253_be4a94850d.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
We had 2 white tabletop rotary dial phones when I was a kid. I wonder what ever happened to them?

I don't have a fancy phone now (unless my cellphone counts) but I have been wanting an Ericofon for awhile. I'm suprised no one here has mentioned them yet, as they first appeared in the late 40s.

ericofon.jpg

More on the Ericofon at http://www.ericofon.com/

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Senator Jack said:
I believe I read it's required that phone companies provide outward dialing for rotary phones. I plugged mine in and dialed right out. Have you ever dialed someplace like the electric company and the recording says 'If you have a rotary phone, stay on the line,'?

I wonder if that means you get to talk to a real person as opposed to some damned machine?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Maj. Nick, I'll be in the market for a vintage phone soon, and that's just the type I had in mind (though I think I want to go with an old-style cloth cable, both between the phone and the wall and between the receiver and the bodhy of the phone).

Where did you get that one, if you don't mind my asking? I've found a few dealers of vintage phones online, but don't know which ones are reliable and trustworthy.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
skyvue said:
Maj. Nick, I'll be in the market for a vintage phone soon, and that's just the type I had in mind (though I think I want to go with an old-style cloth cable, both between the phone and the wall and between the receiver and the bodhy of the phone).

Where did you get that one, if you don't mind my asking? I've found a few dealers of vintage phones online, but don't know which ones are reliable and trustworthy.
Found it on ebay. Apparently from a guy that refurbishes old phones as a few others were listed with this one. You might find parts here,...http://www.oldphoneworks.com/index.asp?currency=USD
Or here,... http://www.sandman.com/telhist.html
I know I saw modern retro-fit cloth covered cords somewhere among all these links.
(I can PM ebay info to you when you have posted enough times to be able to receive PMs,..)

Rosie

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I just acquired this magnificent Stromberg/Carlson 1243 desk phone, weighs in at over 6 pounds and made of metal and bakelite.

SandCphone.jpg

Ooooooooo Maj. Nick, that's BEAUTIFUL! Wow!

c6ad_1.JPG

I'm hoping (fingers crossed) to bring home this cutie for my (my goodness, I still can't believe it isn't finished) kitchen.

panamag8or

Practically Family
I have one of these:
kellogggrab.jpg

Kellogg F118 Grab-a-phone. The inspection sticker on the bottom is dated Jan. 23, 1926. Mine isn't ready to use, but it would be nice to get it working as an extension, since there is no dial.

There are several old phones in my grandmother's garage, I'll have to go digging.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Rosie said:
Ooooooooo Maj. Nick, that's BEAUTIFUL! Wow!

c6ad_1.JPG

I'm hoping (fingers crossed) to bring home this cutie for my (my goodness, I still can't believe it isn't finished) kitchen.
Thanks Rosie, I quite like it. :) That red phone has a cold war - hot line look to it.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
My phone's loud ring used to startle me at first too, but I got used to it after a week or so. I grew up with that though.
You could dampen the ringer by putting a little black electrical tape on the clapper. Mellows it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21