Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Phones

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep, I have a bunch of Henry's 302 phones, as well as his followup design, the WE 500.

The WE 500 was the universal desk phone from the 1950s to the 1980s and beyond, and Henry Dreyfuss designed it as well.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
1942 Camera Phone - The best in Wartime technology

1942cameraphone.jpg

How about this one? lol

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
KilroyCD said:
1942cameraphone.jpg

How about this one? lol
I don't think that will fit into my pocket,but I like it!;)

I just received my "new" phone today that I posted auction photographs of earlier. Here it is, the Western Electric D1 202 desktop telephone with original bell box:
wed1202jg6.jpg

bellboxze4.jpg

It's all original except for the modular cord that connects the bell box to the wall outlet and the bell box's bakelite cover is a reproduction.(I edited the photograph a bit;the actual telephone dial card has my home number exchange name.) It works great and this basically completes my telephone collection (at least the hardware part) Cheers! Sefton

Edward

Bartender
Tony in Tarzana said:
The Princess Phone! That was high class in the 1950s and 60s. :)

Here's my 1955 WE 500 in Ivory, my nicest and most original 500:

CrystalLakeWE50002.jpg

I've always liked these:

phonesvar_lg.jpg

These are the 70s evolution of the 50s design as issued in the UK by British telecom (well, Post Office Telephones as it was before denationalisation in 1984). I grew up with these, and they're great. Probably too late a style for folks round here.

I can't remember where, but I have seen an article about someone who produces these (and maybe earlier designs?) converted to incorporate mobile phone guts - basically, it's a phone that looks like a retro landline phone, but it's actually a mobile. Personally, I'd prefer not to have a landline at all - I only do because it was my only option for home internet. I'd rather go mobile entirely. As it sits I have a couple of digial cordless handsets for a landline, though I'd love something which was more retro. I do love the convenience of cordless.... A phone like the 50s one above, or something similar but earlier, would be fantastic if it was altered so that the handset was cordless - best of both worlds!! The only thing I'd miss as compared to my mobile handset would be the caller ID feature....

Edward

Bartender
KittyT said:
We had 2 white tabletop rotary dial phones when I was a kid. I wonder what ever happened to them?

I don't have a fancy phone now (unless my cellphone counts) but I have been wanting an Ericofon for awhile. I'm suprised no one here has mentioned them yet, as they first appeared in the late 40s.

ericofon.jpg

More on the Ericofon at http://www.ericofon.com/

I have one of these! I think it was a late 60s or early 70s manufacture.... I remember Dad brought them back or was gifted them by someone visiting from a Scandanavian Telco back in the day.... I think, anyhow, it was a lnog time ago, I was born in 74 and so thed phone was always around.... red one. I'd love to get it working again, I think the last time I check it had stopped for some reason. We used it right up into the 90s at my folks' place, then I was given it. Great phones - i had no idea the design is that old. Here in the UK they're highly collectable - I've seen them go for well in excess of GBP100 (USD200), either restored or adapted with digital innards.

Word of warning if you do ever get one: under no circumdstances press the red button with your ear to the phone - it's a hell of a click!!

EDIT:

Just found someone selling these on eBay UK for about GBP35 (around seventy bucks US):

PP0370_LRG.jpg

The perfect compromise for those who want thirties styling but need touchtone capabilities!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
That's the same phone I have.
Nice layout for the photo. What month and year was that picture taken. If only there was a clue.lol

Sincerely,
the Wolf

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
As for the calendar conundrum

If you replace the desk calendar with green blotter paper you don't have to worry about ink ruining the calendar.
If you replace the calendar on the cork board you have room for more Golden Age photos and articles.
Then i guess you're stuck only one possibility.:D

Sincerely,
the Wolf

Mr. K.L.Bowers

One of the Regulars
Jonathan, The desk clock was a yard sale find ($3.00). It is a clock, thermometer and hydrometer combination. Everything works and is accurate. I compared the readings with our EPA calibrated lab equipment.

I know I can count on the Lounge members for good advice. The desk and scheduling calendars go.
K.B.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Mr. K.L.Bowers said:
Hmmmm, I suppose I could combine the information onto one calendar. Now which one should I keep……

Why don't you throw them away together with this old, unpractical phone, and get a new phone with a calendar feature?

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Mr. K.L.Bowers said:
Jonathan, The desk clock was a yard sale find ($3.00). It is a clock, thermometer and hydrometer combination. Everything works and is accurate. I compared the readings with our EPA calibrated lab equipment.K.B.

Amazing! Great find, and for $3.00! I guess I need to get out to more yard sales...

Starius

Practically Family
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Why don't you throw them away together with this old, unpractical phone, and get a new phone with a calendar feature?

Heresy!

That being said... if anyone ever is throwing away Western Electric 302's, I'd be more than happy to take 'em off their hands...

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Starius said:
Heresy!

That being said... if anyone ever is throwing away Western Electric 302's, I'd be more than happy to take 'em off their hands...

I had nearly attached a similar note to my suggestion, but for the time being, I'm happy with our 202.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Sefton said:
The 202 is the entry level drug..

Well, not the worst for an entry drug, is 't? My entry drug was the cheapish Indian replica candlestick I had still on my desk when I took the avatar pic. It took me some time to buy the 202 - a nice, working one isn't paid by petty cash vouchers, unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ