Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Phones

St. Louis

Practically Family
That looks fantastic. I like the whole setting. Here's a question I've always had about the subsets of these phones -- I only learned about them from my lurkage (is that a word) on this forum. I don't believe I've ever seen an old movie where the actors were speaking into candlestick phones & the subset was visible. Is this how they would have been mounted, typically? Where would I look for them when watching a 1930s movie?

They frequently mounted subsets on the side of, or under desks or such furniture. Tucked them away out of sight. In the movies, I imagine they frequently didn't even have them.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If there wasn't a desk or a telephone stand handy, you'd find the subset bolted to the bottom of the wall, just above the baseboard. It's not uncommon to find them splashed with wall paint along the edges because once installed, they were rarely removed unless the whole phone was being replaced.

Flicka

One Too Many
I have a not-really-vintage phone like that that. In 1980 our old telecom monopolist put out at sort of anniversary model called 'Garbo' after dear old Greta. I recently bought one of those:

768819f7.jpg

But a real vintage phone - when I grew up we had a very old phone that I just spotted in my sister's house today and actually snapped a picture of:

7fc3f3d2.jpg

Note that it's made by Ericsson (before they jouned up with Sony ;) )

I had looked at a house a year or two ago and there was an AE subset box, probably from the 1930's or possibly 40's. It was mounted about a foot from the baseboard, and had many, many coats of interior paint on it. Currently a pale yellow.

If there wasn't a desk or a telephone stand handy, you'd find the subset bolted to the bottom of the wall, just above the baseboard. It's not uncommon to find them splashed with wall paint along the edges because once installed, they were rarely removed unless the whole phone was being replaced.

Sled Dog

Familiar Face
I have a not-really-vintage phone like that that. In 1980 our old telecom monopolist put out at sort of anniversary model called 'Garbo' after dear old Greta. I recently bought one of those:

But a real vintage phone - when I grew up we had a very old phone that I just spotted in my sister's house today and actually snapped a picture of:

Wow, great phones!! Your sister scored a good one!!

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Looks like the one that I posted last time, but only handset comes from it. This is a Czech pre-war licensed
copy of German Siemens-Halske W28, made by Elektrotechna Praha. Label under rotary dial says it was made on 16.2.1934. A few parts has been missing, including capacitor and both bells. I took it from practically identical Tesla phone. There is also partially broken handset cradle, but nothing serious. Rotary dial has an interesting function that prevents from dialing with handset on the cradle. I really like that polished aluminium dial. :)

DSC_0275.jpg

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Looks like 40's-50's H6 Galion or military issued TP-6-A. I Don't know anything about them, just found it on Google :)

Last edited:

St. Louis

Practically Family
These phones are beautiful. What I particularly appreciate about them is their individuality. Today's phones all have a dreary sort of sameness about them.

I have a burning question. I just acquired two monophones, both of which have been fitted with new subsets. This was one of those wonderful ebay surprises; I bid on one and won it, and the seller decided to ship me two out of the goodness of his heart. The only problem is, I recently switched my phone & internet service to Uverse, which unfortunately makes it impossible to use my vintage phones. I need the high-speed internet for my job, so I can't get rid of that, but I was wondering whether I should get rid of my Uverse phone service and get a local, analog phone service? It would cost a couple of dollars a month more, and no doubt I would have to pay an installation fee-- is this totally crazy?

My friends & family think I'm nuts. I decided not to listen to them. What are your thoughts?

7798385546_fa9d41629f_m.jpg
photostream
photostream

Would you go to the trouble and expense of switching your phone service so that you could use your vintage phones?

The two monophones are virtually identical, by the way,

7798386272_c5ef603928_m.jpg

kyboots

Practically Family

768819f7.jpg

7fc3f3d2.jpg

That Ericsson is wonderful! I really love that!--John

kyboots

Practically Family
Just got this one off ebay , cleaned it up and it works great. Anybody know what type it is?
Ebay15Aug2012018.jpg

That looks like the phone I grew up with from the 1960's. Western Electric for Bell? I had many a night on that phone pulling it into the hallway and closing the door over the cord so my parents could not hear me talk. Heavy SOB too. Drop it on your foot and you will be sorry.---John

St. Louis

Practically Family
Thanks -- I agree regarding the land line. I just want to clarify that I do have a land line now, but it's too powerful (or something) to allow my vintage phones to receive the signal. So I would have to cancel my current phone service and install a new analog land line in order to be able to use them. This will undoubtedly cost me an installation fee & a few dollars extra a month, never mind the hassle of changing phone service just so I can use my vintage phones. I've been told that I can keep my current phone number.

So this is what I was wondering -- am I nuts to consider doing this? My family and friends think so. (Nothing new.) The main reason to go through all this is simply that I like the old loud ring and I always loved knowing that my vintage phone worked.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread; it's just that no one else in my current life would even understand the dilemma.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Nothing nuts at all about that. An analog line is the way to go -- no interference, better sound quality, and absolutely reliable. I can't remember a single time, in my entire life, when I've picked up a receiver and not gotten a dial tone. It's $28 a month here, which is peanuts for the quality of service it provides.

You can generally run up to five vintage phones off a single standard analog line, so you shouldn't have any problems with getting them to ring properly.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Nothing nuts about having the analog landline. Several years ago we had severe storms here that knocked out power for 10 days. My old rotary phone worked just fine the entire time.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Don't forget about 3-in-1 oil. I buy that stuff in bulk!!

I'm really fond of gun oil for little jobs like this, not least because I really enjoy the smell.

I've been sucked into this thread! I love the look of these old phones. I fondly remember rotary dials, as they were just dying out when I was a kid and a few people I knew still had them. I always loved dialing and watching the big wheel spin slowly back into place; it made such a satisfying sound, too!

I haven't seen it yet in this thread, but has anyone figured out a reasonably inexpensive method for making these old rotaries work on a modern digital phone service? Not VOIP, mind you, but digital phone provided by the cable company. I'd love to have one of those gorgeous old beauties gracing my desk :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff