Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage posters and other paper ephemera

1913 Percheron pedigree -- 19" x 20".

37925406821_e1910022ce_b.jpg

37925406221_30bae30cd4_b.jpg

At first glance I figured that had been printed in Texas!
It shows the boundaries and the years in which most of the West was acquired, and from whom. (The Natives aren’t mentioned.)

If we were taught any of the particulars of western expansion (with the exception of the Lewis & Clark Expedition) when I was a kid, it certainly left no lasting impression on me.

I had almost forgotten that I still had this poster until thoughts of the late Hoyt Axton crossed my mind.

It was on a top shelf in the garage, where things go to be forgotten. It was rolled up under a thoroughly desiccated rubber band.

I don’t recall when and where I got it, but it must have been not long after the record album’s 1977 release.

Yes, it’s in rough shape — torn and wrinkled. I wouldn’t mind having a cleaner example, if I could find one (not the likeliest prospect), but my history with this one counts for something. So I’ll be framing it and calling it good.

I’m a fan of Hoyt Axton (besides penning some memorable songs, he was close to perfect in “The Black Stallion” and “Gremlins”). And the GMC Scenicruiser was pretty darned cool, too. I have fond memories of traveling in them long ago.

The poster is 24 by 24, so four times the size of the record album it was promoting.

IMG_1940.jpeg

I had almost forgotten that I still had this poster until thoughts of the late Hoyt Axton crossed my mind.

It was on a top shelf in the garage, where things go to be forgotten. It was rolled up under a thoroughly desiccated rubber band.

I don’t recall when and where I got it, but it must have been not long after the record album’s 1977 release.

Yes, it’s in rough shape — torn and wrinkled. I wouldn’t mind having a cleaner example, if I could find one (not the likeliest prospect), but my history with this one counts for something. So I’ll be framing it and calling it good.

I’m a fan of Hoyt Axton (besides penning some memorable songs, he was close to perfect in “The Black Stallion” and “Gremlins”). And the GMC Scenicruiser was pretty darned cool, too. I have fond memories of traveling in them long ago.

The poster is 24 by 24, so four times the size of the record album it was promoting.

View attachment 522811
IMG_1994.jpeg

Woodtroll

One Too Many

View attachment 522811

The original "Honeysuckle Rose", I believe, that he bought from Commander Cody.

Hoyt was a great songwriter, singer, and entertainer. He always seemed to be a humble, sincere person, but I always picture him with that mischievous grin he had.

This is the only image of the bus in Commander Cody livery I could find. Blurry, but it’s there.

I’ve read that the late George Frayne, aka Commander Cody, bought the bus from Willie Nelson, but I found but one source for that, which itself appears anything but unimpeachable, so take it with a grain of salt.

Willie names his succession of buses Honeysuckle Rose. Hoyt Axton did a live routine (you can find it online) about traveling in a retired Greyhound bus he called Honeysuckle Rose.

I have a couple of friends, my age and older, who pick up work driving what are called “entertainer” buses. They’re essentially bunkhouses on wheels, with comfort and sanitation facilities and little kitchens. These old fellows have opinions about buses, not all of them favorable.

IMG_2025.jpeg

Last edited:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
This is the only image of the bus in Commander Cody livery I could find. Blurry, but it’s there.

I’ve read that the late George Frayne, aka Commander Cody, bought the bus from Willie Nelson, but I found but one source for that, which itself appears anything but unimpeachable, so take it with a grain of salt.

Willie names his succession of buses Honeysuckle Rose. Hoyt Axton did a live routine (you can find it online) about traveling in a retired Greyhound bus he called Honeysuckle Rose.

I have a couple of friends, my age and older, who pick up work driving what are called “entertainer” buses. They’re essentially bunkhouses on wheels, with comfort and sanitation facilities and little kitchens. These old fellows have opinions about buses, not all of them favorable.

View attachment 528100

Interesting information! For some reason, my vague recollection told me that Willie's "Honeysuckle Rose" movie was named after Hoyt's bus - that Hoyt had originated the name. But that's an old memory dredged up from years ago, and I may well have it all mixed up.

Hoyt's song about his Honeysuckle Rose is a favorite of mine, especially the live recording.
"She's got a Detroit Diesel, and an air-cushion ride, and she smokes at the top of the hill"..."She's a four-speed lady and she rolls real easy, there's tequila in the driver she loves!"

His story about driving her down the road one night when he "accidentally ingests" some drugs thrown from a passing bus is a riot, too! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21