Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage posters and other paper ephemera

The first time I worked in Cheyenne, WY while there I got interested in Cheyenne Frontier Days & the Cheyenne Rodeo. I started a collection of rodeo posters & especially prison rodeo posters. Before long I was buying poster collections where I could just to get one or two I wanted. Over time back home I sold the odds & ends to a woman who owned an interior decorating shop & did some decorating for clients she had. She would mat, frame & sell what she bought from me. I still have a few odds leftover.

My life would be all the richer if a vintage Ellensburg Rodeo poster were to find its way to me.

I’ve been fond of Ellensburg from the first I saw it, 50-some years ago, and the rodeo there (and Kittitas County Fair) over Labor Day weekend is still very much the real deal.

Friends and relatives have resided in Ellensburg. Family members once had a business there.

My occasional online searches have yet to yield much.

The bunch of fruit crate labels I alluded to a few posts up the thread arrived a couple-three days ago. There are a few duplicates. Cool graphics. Anyone looking to start a collection on the cheap is welcome to shoot me a message.

I have stacks & many duplicates of the heavy cardboard showroom posters from the 1980's. All the Corvettes & most of the Camaro posters have been sold or traded off. Excuse the reflection of the flash.

IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

PS: I have one Carroll Shelby Dodge Daytona 500 & one Carroll Shelby Dodge Viper.

My wife's cousin asked us if we would sell a concert poster she had bought new (way back when) on eBay. I was hesitant as I don't really like being responsible for selling other people's stuff, but relented. I asked the cousin if she could supply some ad copy and to let me know if she wanted to sell it for a fixed price, allow offers or do a auction (and if she wanted a reserve or a starting bid). This ask went unanswered for months ... with several repeated queries in that time frame. I had sort of forgotten about it when, as we celebrated my birthday this weekend, my wife presented me with the poster (now framed). I was shocked. The cousin knew I really liked it, but she also knew it was worth some pretty nice coin. My wife had given her an antique dressing-table that had belonged to my wife's Grandma a few weeks back, so the cousin just said "even trade".

Neil Young / Pearl Jam / Blind Melon / Booker T & the MGs. Portland, 1993. Show Edition (35" x 22.5"). 210 of 500. Signed by the artist (Frank Kozik).

"I was very excited to do this piece because Neil Young generally did not let people do posters back then (1993). It’s basically a photo of High Bear who was the only Chief not to accept life on the Rez after the Ghost Dance debacle. He took his people north into Canada instead. Mr. Young really liked the poster and I think it is still on the front page of his website." Frank Kozik, Maxim Magazine.

IMG-3220.JPG

IMG-3221.JPG

IMG-3222.JPG

@tonyb or anyone else.

Im trying to identify what I think might be a wallpaper border, & whether it might be contemporary or vintage. Not sure the watermark will help but all I can read is the yr 2013 which may or may not mean it’s contemporary.
In the lower right corner the artists name is Maude.

45779169-4263-4C63-A37F-03E378BEB921.jpeg

@tonyb or anyone else.

Im trying to identify what I think might be a wallpaper border, & whether it might be contemporary or vintage. Not sure the watermark will help but all I can read is the yr 2013 which may or may not mean it’s contemporary.

View attachment 437765
I'm going with contemporary...2013 is probably the copyright. It looks to be someone's take on the styling of Josh Agle, a.k.a. the artist Shag.

I'm going with contemporary...2013 is probably the copyright. It looks to be someone's take on the styling of Josh Agle, a.k.a. the artist Shag.
It looks like something that might have hung in an airport VIP lounge. I thought at first the original might be the work of Canadian artist Maud Lewis who died in 1970. She painted in a similar style, but she spelled her first name without the “e”, & she signed her work “Lewis”.

Not familiar with Agle but might like his style.

@tonyb or anyone else.

View attachment 437765
I’d bet on it being retro rather than true vintage. I’ve seen numerous similar works in the pages of design magazines.

What are the dimensions?

“Make me an angel
That flies from Montgomery
Make me a poster
Of an old rodeo
Just give me one thing
That I can hold on to
To believe in this livin’
Is just a hard way to go.”

— John Prine

I was reminded of this song while watching video of Bonnie Raitt accepting her Song of the Year Grammy Award for “Just Like That,” a song I hadn’t known until an hour or so ago, when I looked it up.

Ms. Raitt had a hit with “Angel from Montgomery” back in 1974 and had been friends with Prine before that. During her acceptance speech she alluded to her late friend’s influence in her writing of “Just Like That.”

Yes, I can feel that influence as much as hear it.

I’m on the email list for an outfit called Authentic Vintage Posters, but I’ve never bought a thing from them and the chances that I will are quite remote. It’s not that I have anything against them (I haven’t unsubscribed, after all), it’s just that they typically handle stuff priced well beyond what I’d pay.

But today’s missive gave me a chuckle. It features several deadstock vintage fruit crate labels, a few of which I happen to have examples of myself, which has me strongly suspecting they found theirs at the same place I found mine. And I suspect they paid what I did — 50 cents a pop, when purchased in bulk. They have theirs priced at $10 and up — way up, in a few cases. And I bet they’ll sell out.

Last edited:
A junk peddler friend sold me this 1941 map for 10 bucks several years ago, if memory serves. A person who specializes in old paper tells me it’s not worth much, but I dig it anyway. If another copy exists, I’ve never seen it.

741111A0-87D6-412F-9C90-FB40A0456877.jpeg
42BA0B7D-BDDD-4874-B0D5-A2FDE4CF8CE6.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ