Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Reality Show?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I dunno, I remember thinking that the problem with some of the people on Frontier House (the only one of those I watched) was not that they were so very modern - it's that they were rich and spoiled and bad at labor division.

I'm sure rich spoiled people of the period would have been just as whiny and unhelpful in a Frontier House setting without their staff, and I didn't find the phenomenon any too fascinating.

lady eel

New in Town
Joie DeVive said:
PBS did a number of these, and I enjoyed most of them thoroughly.

Here are the ones I remember in no particular order:
The 1900's House (this was the first one, done in the UK)
The 1940's House (UK)
The Manor House (UK)
Frontier House (Western US)
Puritan House (East Coast US)

I thought they were fascinating. It's a shame they don't seem to be doing it any more. :(

I loved these! missed the 1940's house but just loved the others. I think they picked people who would have a big adjustment from their normal life. So to pick re-enactors or people who try to live the lifstyle already, would defeat the purpose in my opinion. It is entertainment after all
I especially liked when the ladies in the 1900 house tried to sneek modern shampoo. I also liked how much it changed the kids that were on the Frontier house.
I really love wearing corsets, for photo shoots or the occasional night out, but if I had to wear one every day I'd whine too!:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner