Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Reality Show?

Foofoogal

Banned
Just got a lightbulb moment. Wouldn't it be great if they had a reality show for gals that dress and live vintage? or even a co-ed best vintage couple or something.
I have seen worse. lol
What do y'all think? Would you watch it? I sure would.

JennyLou

Practically Family
It wasn't a reality show but I did see a show a long time ago where a segment featured a couple who dressed up vintage everyday. The show was something like Believe It Or Not.

Foofoogal

Banned
I was slightly watching "the Cougar" when I thought of it. :rolleyes: If they can sell that I don't see why a show with maybe woman doing just what we have been doing here today. Dressing with vintage tips and/or colors. The sky is the limit on this IMHO.

Blondie

Practically Family
in the U.K there was a show called Time Warp Wives,
that showed girls in England who identify with different era's & choose to dress, live etc in that period. I think there is a thread on this show somewhere here !

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
PBS did a number of these, and I enjoyed most of them thoroughly.

Here are the ones I remember in no particular order:
The 1900's House (this was the first one, done in the UK)
The 1940's House (UK)
The Manor House (UK)
Frontier House (Western US)
Puritan House (East Coast US)

I thought they were fascinating. It's a shame they don't seem to be doing it any more. :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Joie DeVive said:

The 1940's House (UK)
The Manor House (UK)

I thought they were fascinating. It's a shame they don't seem to be doing it any more. :(

I thought I'd heard someone was doing a Depression House for some channel in the UK -- maybe it was a project that never got out of development, but I'd think it'd be fascinating given the number of people today who seem to think a Depression means having to give up the second Lexus.

I *loved* 1940's House. "Gran used to be all hip and trendy and drank Boodwiser, but now she's no fun at all!"

Foofoogal

Banned
I have seen or heard of a few of these. I guess I was thinking more of a fashion type show. Have vintage clothing experts dressing a person sort of like this show or similar.
http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/whatnottowear.html
but in a reality show format.
From shoes, dress, hair style, hair coloring, accessories as shoes, jewelry, hosiery. How to dress vintage younger vs more mature.
Ok, if it becomes a show you heard it here first. lol

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
I thought I'd heard someone was doing a Depression House for some channel in the UK -- maybe it was a project that never got out of development, but I'd think it'd be fascinating given the number of people today who seem to think a Depression means having to give up the second Lexus.

I *loved* 1940's House. "Gran used to be all hip and trendy and drank Boodwiser, but now she's no fun at all!"

Depression House? Sounds like somewhere i definitely would not want to live.

the problem with the idea, as cool as it is, is that once the producers were done with it, it would be a bunch of girls that look like Dita von tease, sporting flame tatoos going to hot rod car shows. The chance that they would keep it true to real vintage are pretty slim compared to the idea of doing a "vintagesque' thing.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
The words "Reality Show" placed anywhere near the word "Vintage," can only be a sad thing for vintage. A documentary is one thing, but I can't think of one reality show that doesn't involve some sort of competition, humiliation or breaking someone's heart.
(Of course, if there was such a thing, then the vingate "loser" would have to wear the current trend fashions, made out of cheap, flammable fabric. ;) )

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
Blondie said:
in the U.K there was a show called Time Warp Wives,
that showed girls in England who identify with different era's & choose to dress, live etc in that period. I think there is a thread on this show somewhere here !

I really want to see this show but have not been able to locate it...if anyone knows how to get ahold of it, I'd appreciate the advice. :)

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
lazydaisyltd said:
Thanks so much for the Time Warp Wives link--it didn't work, but you were so nice to post it and I appreciate your effort! :)
You might try a different browser. It worked for me and I am using Opera.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Joie DeVive said:

The 1940's House (UK)
The Manor House (UK)

Well, Joie, I certainly don't begrudge you your joy from these programs...but they were no joy to me. I've spent some 30 years in quite hard-core reenacting, both civil and military, in the 17, 18, and 19Cs...and (like some of the folks here on the FL) know MANY people who would give their right arm to "do it right," total-immersion--which is almost impossible, unless you live in Plimoth Plantation (without the tourists...). Speaking for myself, I lived for 5 years as an 1867 Irish immigrant on Boston's Beacon Hill...a fascinating and deeply educational experience.

The problem with these shows is that--while the folks who had the idea and sold it to the TV producers may have had different intentions--once it gets into the hands of people who want "entertainment" rather than "education"...things go horridly awry. All those folks who'd give a right arm to go live for an extended period in another time? Don't cast them! No: you want to get the folks who will whine and pout about wearing corsets, or not being able to play video games, or....you get the idea. It's so much more...entertaining. Think "Wife Swap" meets "The Time Machine." When the first one of these appeared on US PBS I was deeply doubtful...but hoped beyond hope it would all be OK....for me, at least, it wasn't.

There has, however--to my taste--been one effort that HAS been successful in every way...sadly, I've only seen 2 episodes of it while visiting in Canada: the UK BBC2 17C series TALES FROM THE GREEN VALLEY. This, as far as I can see, cut no corners, cast people--reenactors by hobby or not--who were INTERESTED in participating, and was beautiful to boot: whether you're interested in the historical period or not, life close to the earth has its own beauty. Highly recommended, if you can find it! Not currently available as a North American DVD, sadly...but here's a YouTube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxtbCufq58U

Taste differs, and that's OK. Thanks for listening to my...disappointment. :(

"Skeet"

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I have to admit that one of my great laments of those shows was that they cast people who weren't prepared for or into the lifestyle. The moaning and whining were not highlights to me. And I noticed that the whining got progressively worse with each incarnation of the show. :(

And while I think it is a shame that people who would have truly appreciated the experience and added to the educational nature weren't chosen, on the other hand, I think that maybe the "man on the street" aspect gives the common viewer a better sense of how difficult the times were and how spoiled we are today. True re-enactors would probably suck it up and deal with things that would appall the general public. This could end up idealizing past to the viewer. [huh] I tend to agree with you, but I guess I'm willing to overlook more. I find it a complicated issue...

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Joie DeVive said:
True re-enactors would probably suck it up and deal with things that would appall the general public. This could end up idealizing past to the viewer. [huh] I tend to agree with you, but I guess I'm willing to overlook more. I find it a complicated issue...

Those are good points, for sure; the problem is, if you will, disrespecting the past (and the lives of those who lived then "for real") by either playing it for laughs or, for that matter, idealization. There are PLENTY of reenactors--although not, in my opinion, the best by a long shot--who idealize the past. Fact is: this second that I am typing this--and the second you read it--are already part of the past. The past is just a collection of previous presents...and we all know enough about the present to realize it has it's good and bad points. The past WAS different...for better AND for worse...it was just as real and complex as today is. It should not be considered purely entertainment, nor a pacifier to suck on. There are few of us today who could hack it, even in our parent's time (I speak as someone whose parents lived through the Depression and WWII) without a major shock to the system.

Sorry to rant/ramble...but, as you say "it's a complicated issue." Arrah: when you get right down to it...what ain't? [huh]

"Skeet"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn