Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage roadside

Dig the Driftwood sign...too cool.
The old Publix is pretty neat, too. They have expanded into the market here, for several years now, and while obviously none of the stores look anywhere near that cool, they are decorated on the inside with huge pictures of those old ones like that.

The Pentagon as viewed from the field where the Navy Annex used to stand. At least you can see it now. Air Force memorial is in the foreground. Arlington, VA.

arlva.jpg

rjb1

Practically Family
Good shots from Pigeon Forge, TN (just outside the Smoky Mountains Park).
Some of the strangest tourist traps I have ever seen...
It's been quite a few years ago, but I remember seeing a sign saying, "See the Smoky Mountain Porpoises". What!!??

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here

One of my all-time favorites, the Mountaineer Inn in Asheville, NC. Located on Tunnel Road leading into Asheville, I've enjoyed looking at this sign ever since I was a little kid. It's still there today, and is one of the few things that have remained unchanged for as long as I can remember.

One of my all-time favorites, the Mountaineer Inn in Asheville, NC. Located on Tunnel Road leading into Asheville, I've enjoyed looking at this sign ever since I was a little kid. It's still there today, and is one of the few things that have remained unchanged for as long as I can remember.

Very cool! I have been by that place!
The "With a touch of modern" must be referring to the HOOTERS in the background. :D

5438d497a112d5c317bc66a27f04c862.jpg

Since you guys have gotten me started this morning, here's a (crappy) pic of the neon sign at the old MoonWinx motel on old Hwy. 11, just east of Tuscaloosa, AL (can I get a Roll Tide:p). At one time, when lit up at night, his eye winked open and shut every few minutes. This joint is kind of a landmark in those parts, and best I know it's still standing, however a couple years back when I was last through there his eye was not winking anymore.
98f14c9c6b4d0e7fa58ec0dc141242bb.jpg

Here's an old postcard of the place I found online. I also read how back in the 40s they wouldn't let you stay there if you had local plates on your car because they were trying to fight a reputation as one of "those" kind of motels.

When I found the MoonWinx postcard online, I also came across this one.
ca89f298fe58070ce3d90a0a92c89258.jpg

I posted pics at the start of this thread from the old wigwam motel in KY. There were at one time a chain of the across the U.S. and this postcard is from the one that used to be on old Hwy. 11 west of Birmingham, on the way down to Tuscaloosa. It got gone back in the 70s if I remember correctly.

Here's my (probably less than accurate) explanation of why.
6839ee395174adf022f5cf6963101e16.jpg

:p

Bugguy

Practically Family
I stayed here at Cocoa Beach, Florida down the road from The Kennedy Space Center... Owned by the original seven Mercury astronauts.

la-quinta-inn-cocoa-beach-2.jpg

la-quinta-inn-cocoa-beach-1.jpg

la-quinta-inn-cocoa-beach.jpg (not me in the pith)

5538812be7b11d72eb989cd4b5b2e7db.jpg

Muffler man. Now employed by GCR truck tire center on Tarrant parkway, near Birmingham, AL.
Years ago, he stood atop a transmission shop downtown.
Apologies for the crappy pic. They apparently are very protective of him, as there's nowhere to stop and get a good photo.

Last edited:
Muffler man. Now employed by GCR truck tire center on Tarrant parkway, near Birmingham, AL.
Years ago, he stood atop a transmission shop downtown.
Apologies for the crappy pic. They apparently are very protective of him, as there's nowhere to stop and get a good photo.

Here is a map of all the muffler men in the US. :D

MufflerMen.jpg

This is a fun site to look through. http://lessbeatenpaths.com/fiberglass-giants-part-muffler-men/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner