Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Shampoos

jayem

A-List Customer
I tried looking for this, but I couldn't find an already made specific topic. Mods, feel free to delete this if I am mistaken.

Does anybody use specifically vintage shampoo's or a vintage shampoo recipe? I mean, besides the apple cider vinegar trick. I was thinking of making my own shampoo using a Victorian recipe I found in my great-grandmother's journal, but I'm a bit scared at what condition it will leave my hair. I've heard adding jasmine to your hair softens it extremely, and same with henna.

Lillemor

One Too Many
With such varying definitions of vintage floating around I find it difficult to find any real information on vintage shampoos that go back further than the 70s.:rolleyes:

Ivory shampoo is discontinued as far as I know. I've heard of people hoarding the last ones off the shelves before they were completely discontinued.

I buy the regular shampoos, conditioners, leave-ins, and deep conditioners as everyone else; Supermarkets. I also use a vinegar rinse once or twice a week and while some prefer coconut and what have you not oils, I'm happy to use common kitchen oils like olive oil. A few drops as a leave-in and a coin sized amount for deep conditioning which does need washing out again. Olive oil may be too heavy for finer hair types. Jojoba oil is favored by many.

Right now I happen to have a mixed coconut and tiara flower oil that's very good but I don't know if I'll be able to buy it again.

Some use something called soapwort roots which you soak in water overnight, discard the roots and then wash your hair, skin or even linnens with the water. I don't know how it works or if the water you soak the roots in should be cold or warm.

Saponins which you'll have to look up, is another alternative some like.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Here are a couple of recipes for soapwort shampoo.

looks interesting.

Jayem, would you be interested in posting your grandmother's recipe? Maybe we can know a little more about what it would do to your hair, then-- if we have the ingredients.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925