Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Shoe info

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Another shoe question-Sizing by inches not by size number

Ok, I found these ausome Edwardian shoes on Ebay that I am bidding on, but with a lot of vintage shoes, they have no size, but the seller says that the inside of the shoes measures almost 10 inches, what size are they? Does anyone know?

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
NicolettaRose said:
Ok, I found these ausome Edwardian shoes on Ebay that I am bidding on, but with a lot of vintage shoes, they have no size, but the seller says that the inside of the shoes measures almost 10 inches, what size are they? Does anyone know?

10 inches in length generally translates to a US size 8. With older shoes though I usally find the widths are much slighter than more modern makes.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Yeah I guess....lucky for vintage shoes...but when I went to buy modern shoes they are all too wide on me...except for ones that cost like $500 and are sold at Neiman Marcus...so is the reason I only have a couple pairs of modern shoes...

Viviene

Vendor
When I am listing shoes this is the shoe chart that I use and I also provide it in my listings. I always tell people to compare the measurements to a pair of similar shoes that fit them well.

20496245_o.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Shoe fix?

I've been buying a lot of the baby doll toed pumps since they're in this season. Problem is, they flop off of my feet! I usually wear an 8, and have been buying a 7.5, and a 7 is just too small.

I tried putting those padded heel inserts in, but they don't help. Are there any types of "toe stuffers" you can buy?
Do those inserts made for "slides and mules" keep your foot from sliding to the front of the shoe? Would that help?

This is so irritating! Thanks~
Nikki

Kim_B

Practically Family
This probably doesn't help you since I can't find them on the site now, but Torrid.com used to sell inserts that were supposed to keep your feet/shoes from sliding. I'm searching frantically for them, but can't seem to remember what brand they were! Umm.....FOOT PETALS! That's it! I knew it would come to me!!

http://www.footsmart.com/SearchReturnsBrands.aspx?SearchTerm=Foot Petals&cm_re=prod-_-tr-_-brndlnk

I don't know how well they work, or if they even work at all...but might be worth looking into! HTH!

epr25

Practically Family
I don't know if you have one buy you but I know they do sell the foot petals at Von Maur. Also the heel things that are made of gel work really well. They work allot better then that ones that are fabric. Go check at Walmart they have quite a section. They even have gel things for sling backs that work well. I have skinny heels and these thing have saved me several times.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I'd like to know if anyone has tried the Foot Petals and if they really keep your feet from sliding. I had given up ever wearing pumps because of my little heels. Lately, I only buy shoes with ankle straps to hold my feet up and not have them slide down. And since my ankles are small, I'd often have to punch an extra hole in the strap so it would fit snugly.

epr25, are you talking about the gel heel pads? I've found that they're too tall and then I have a problem with my feet getting squished from the top of the shoe because the insert would elevate my feet too much.

I have to wear wide width shoes to accomodate my wide feet and a bunion. But that leaves the heel part in the back too big and then my foot slides around. I know for me, the suede heel pads that you put on the inside back of the shoe don't work. Maybe these Foot Petals will solve my problem.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
I'm not the only one with this problem? My heels are very narrow in proportion to the balls of my feet, so I also have the problem of the heels of shoes sliding off. One shoe salesman said ball-of-foot cushions ought to help by pushing the whole foot up and back slightly. It did help me a bit.

--Leslie

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Leslie,
I've tried those ball-of-foot cushions too, but it seemed my feet still slid down. Sometimes they would be too "pillowy" and put pressure on the top of my foot from the shoe.

Maybe I should put some flypaper in my shoes and then my feet will stay put! ;)

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
BonnieJean said:
Leslie,
I've tried those ball-of-foot cushions too, but it seemed my feet still slid down. Sometimes they would be too "pillowy" and put pressure on the top of my foot from the shoe.

Maybe I should put some flypaper in my shoes and then my feet will stay put! ;)

That's so crazy it just might work! :p

--Leslie

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks all, glad it's not just me! (not that I wish my problems on others, lol!)
I'll try some of the things mentioned and report back!
Nikki

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
You can sometimes find heel inserts, that slide into the back of your shoe, and cushion the heel, they fill out the backs of shoes and may help keep them on[huh]
Hope you find soemthing that works for you soon!:)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
vintage shoe question

hello there, ladies! do any of you know if snake skin stretches? i just bought 2 amazing pair of 1940s snake skin peeptoe slingback heels on ebay, but they're just too snug in the vamp :-(

Kitty

maisie

Practically Family
I don't think any vintage shoes are good for wear if they are too small/too tight, even leather shoes, as the fabric just isnt as supple as it used to be. I have seen plenty of 40's shoes ripped/ruined that are put up for sale at various event and on ebay as they were just too small and now no one can ever wear them again:( . I think the best thing is probabaly to sell them on and get a even nicer pair that fit;)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Before you give up on them...visit a shoe repair guy, who has the right equipment to stretch them and can tell you whether it can be done with these particular shoes and materials or not.

It depends on so many factors that getting real life help is probably best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred