Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Shoe info

Caledonia

Practically Family
Hi. If this has already come up, sorry, and please feel free to move me. I got a couple of pairs of 40s sandals recently both of which have a split on the inner side of the sole of one shoe, just about where your foot bends to go towards the heel. That's not the paper insole, the actual shoe. The split doesn't show on the outside yet, and I'm wondering if anybody has found a way to brace damage like this? The sandals are otherwise fantastic, and I'm sure they would hold out for a few more light wearings, but I'd be a whole lot happier if I could fix it. I've taken one pair into a local cobbler who says he can't think of a way round it, but he's definitely not a vintage shoe expert. He has come up with putting superglue or similar along the crack as a kind of weld, but really thinks the shoes have had it. And has anybody found anything other than castor oil to rehydrate vintage leather - it's great I find, but wonder if there's something even better?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Trying to visualize the damage here—do you mean that the sole of the shoe is at some point going to crack completely and break through? If so, it can be braced with a thin strip of a metal, I think. I’ve broken the heels off of several pairs (or they came to me this way) and they were repaired this way—I would imagine this issue could be repaired the same way. I take my vintage shoes to a cobbler who has been in business for many years, and he has reconditioned the leather on many pairs of shoes (not sure what he uses) and repaired many, many issues (for cheap, too!)

Caledonia

Practically Family
Yes, I think it would eventually break right through, where the ball of the foot bends. I suggested a metal strip to the cobbler either on the inside or the outside but he said he couldn't fasten it on and that the shoe wouldn't be able to bend. I still think there's a metal (or flexible plastic) solution there somewhere - perhaps it's a better cobbler I need.

Thanks Jitterbugdoll.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
That would be my next step--I would hate to lose a perfectly good pair of vintage shoes :(

I broke the heel off my favorite pair of platforms, and my cobbler attached it right back with a very thin, flexible metal strip. It's a little stiff, but much sturdier than it was (apparently, the heel had been broken by its previous wearer, and so always felt like it had too much give when you walked--it did of course!)

Caledonia

Practically Family
Your cobbler sounds fantastic. I am definitely sourcing someone with experience. Most of the shoes I have only have small issues like needing a strap restitched, a new sole put on, or in the case of a 30s pair I needed the backing to the foot strap re-made. You're right though, it would be devastating to lose a pair, particularly as they are so hard to come by in the larger sizes. I haven't managed to find platforms that fit yet, so I am very envious. Must photo some of my finds for the "purchases" thread. Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the metal bracing.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
He is the best! I'd suggest looking for someone in a family business--someone who learned from his father, that sort of thing.

It took me a while to find platforms in my size (7.5-8 and that didn’t cost $300 either:rolleyes: ), but they are out there! I now have about 10 pairs. My best find was the near-deadstock pair of cocoa suede DeLiso Debs that a friend/vintage seller sold to me for $25. I nearly died and went to heaven!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
They are out there, but often very expensive:( Trouble is, vintage shoes tend to run very, very narrow. I can't tell you how many pairs I have received in the mail and given up because my medium-width feet *were* still too wide! Oh, to have tiny feet like my two good friends, who often end up with the shoes that don't fit me...

maisie

Practically Family
i'm a size 9-9.5, but quite narrow, and have managed to find quite a few pairs of platforms and other styles of 40's shoes, including two pairs of purple platforms!!:D (I have however sold 3 pairs of platforms recently, with a 4" heel as they are just to high for me as I'm 5'11"!![huh] ) So just keep looking!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Ah, but the key word here is "narrow" :) You're one of those lucky girls with narrow feet!

But yes, they are out there, they just take longer to look for, and are a more sought after resource (read--more expensive, at least when sellers know what they have;))

maisie

Practically Family
But yes, they are out there, they just take longer to look for, and are a more sought after resource (read--more expensive, at least when sellers know what they have)

I agree with that!! A about a year ago i got two pairs of beautiful 40's suede shoes, one in black, very stylish with ornament on the front and comfy heel (my favorite pair of black shoes!!:D ), and a brown pair with a gold trimming on the front, for around $10.00 each!!
I also got a pair of black leather shoes, they are SO comfy!!, for around $26.00!
So it depends on how much hype the seller gives the shoes and how many people have spotted them!!

maisie

Practically Family
I think I know who you are talking about!!
About a month ago they BIN a pair of green wedges in my size, i was gutted as green is so difficult to come by! But then the next week I saw he had put them on ebay for an auction and I auctally got them for less than they paid!!:D lol
But some of the pairs of shoes they buy are fabulous! But they go for such high prices!!:rage:

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Caledonia said:
And has anybody found anything other than castor oil to rehydrate vintage leather - it's great I find, but wonder if there's something even better?

For this problem I use Piccards. I buy it on line, just do a search for the name. I have conditioned everything from vintage shoes to vintage Louis Vuitton bags, and it works great.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I did buy a pair of shoes from said person once, for a very fair price. But the times he has spent hundreds, on one silly pair of shoes...and yeah, I don't care about the size 4s, but those 8s, well...:rolleyes:

Someone once told me that a certain very high-end fashion designer was buying 1940s platforms, not caring of course about size or condition, in order to copy them for his latest collection. Could have been the case...

Here's another trick--I was told that you can touch up leather shoes with water-based paint. I have yet to try this, but the lady who told me (fun side note--her mother was a ballet dancer who dated Errol Flynn) said that cobblers use and sell the same product, only it comes in smaller cans, in a smaller selection of colors, and costs more money!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Wow, thanks Daisy. I'll try and get hold of it. I'm a vintage US size 9-10.0 depending on whether there's a peep toe and sling back or just the makers sizing. 10 tends to be too big. I find if you've got a peep toe you can go down about a quarter inch on your regular insole length, and if you've got a sling back to add to that you can take it down a half inch. I really envy narrow footed ladies! I'm narrow but don't seem to be narrow enough. I did just buy an Edwardian pair of boots, 11.5 inches long, 3 inches narrow. The length is great, and I can just about get my foot comfortable width wise. I hope I can stretch them a little without detriment to them, as I also recently bought a gorgeous red wool edwardian/just the end of victorian petticoat at totally my size ie 5'7'', and I can't wait to make an overskirt. Ok, totally outside the main period we talk about here, but they really are a treasure. Will get back in period soon, I promise.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Boots

The pair of vintage hiking boots Miss Lauren passed on to me are rapidly giving up the ghost -- soles are split and the cork mid-soles are crumbling. I nearly cried when I realized what happened to them. BUT! I am a stubborn sort of person and I'm not letting those darlings go without a fight.

I did a search for shoe "recrafting" in the hope of finding someone who can actually make new boots for me using the originals as a pattern. I'm terrified to hear how much it is going to set me back if I decide to do it. My research did give me some peace of mind that if I wanted the soles replaced and the uppers conditioned, there are at least five reputable recrafters out there who can fix them. I'll keep you posted with their responses -- cross your fingers (and toes!) for me.

Katydid

One of the Regulars
Lauren Henline said:
I like the buyers who buy the teeny tiny shoes from me :D
mmmm.....teeny tiny shoes. I love sellers who sell teeny tiny shoes. My problem is that my feet are amazingly wide for as short as they are. Makes it very very difficult to find vintage shoes that fit well. I bought a pair of alligator round toe pumps. Loooooooove them but they are a bit narrow. Oh the things we do for fashion. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred