Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage shopping in new york

wowandflutter

New in Town
hi ladies,

i'm going to new york city for spring break and i wanted to do some (moderately priced) vintage shopping.

the past few times that i've been there, i've sort of stumbled upon places but most are expensive.

have you any suggestions ?

this seems to me the type of question that may have been asked before... if so, perhaps i can be directed to a different thread ? either way, i would greatly greatly appreciate your suggestions !!

marquise

Familiar Face
Well, when I lived there, I was but a kid & didn't have the knowledge to find vintage shops. But since I'm moving back in a year, I'm needing more info as well. The only actual stores I've been to were extraordianarily overpriced, however I am a massive fan of the flea markets-- the ones I like are the Annex Antique Fair, on 6th Avenue from 24th to 27th St, on the weekends (with a dealer selling only bakelite! and a few clothing people, selling for very cheap) and the Garage, on 112 West 25th Street, btw. 6th and 7th Ave. It's also a weekend thing, in a huge 2-level industrial garage, with a few vintage vendors-- and a lot of mixed stations selling hats, gloves, old photos and odd things, like the pair of '20s driving goggles I bought last time I went.

ladyk

Familiar Face
marquise said:
Well, when I lived there, I was but a kid & didn't have the knowledge to find vintage shops. But since I'm moving back in a year, I'm needing more info as well. The only actual stores I've been to were extraordianarily overpriced, however I am a massive fan of the flea markets-- the ones I like are the Annex Antique Fair, on 6th Avenue from 24th to 27th St, on the weekends (with a dealer selling only bakelite! and a few clothing people, selling for very cheap) and the Garage, on 112 West 25th Street, btw. 6th and 7th Ave. It's also a weekend thing, in a huge 2-level industrial garage, with a few vintage vendors-- and a lot of mixed stations selling hats, gloves, old photos and odd things, like the pair of '20s driving goggles I bought last time I went.

That place is fantastic! I picked up some wonderful treasure in there, including some fabulous lucite hair accessories for silly money.

Next time I'm in New York I want to go to Girls Love Shoes, which has quire the treasure trove apparently, dating back as far as the 1800's with some wonderful 40s numbers.

Sorry, nothing terribly useful to add, but I shall certainly be watching this thread with interest...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred