Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Shot Glasses

John Galt

Vendor
Awesome!!!!

I'll try to dig out the ashtray. The gold plated set I saw once was much cooler. Just the head on those was plated, but it really popped. There were 6 in the set, and I just couldn't afford them. Haven't seen one of those in a while, but if you search for figural shot glasses and pewter on eBay, you may find one or more of these. Edit - just did that, see above.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Keep 'em coming man. I love the swallow one.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

A note on this - such sayings have always been popular on shot glasses, especially in the 1950's. Thimble shot glasses with " a wee dram," or "just a thimbleful" were common over a century ago and sterling ones fetch a princely price. Other popular sayings are: down the hatch, down the track, bottoms up, and just a swallow. There are literally dozens of others. I have a bunch of 1950's and earlier glasses with such sayings.

One of my first shot glasses was a depression tall with a donkey that says "happy days are here again." It celebrates FDR's win in Nov. 1933 and the end of national Prohibition in Dec 1933, and came with art in red and blue, and also plain black.

From Wikipedia: "With the bouncy popular song 'Happy Days Are Here Again' as his campaign theme, FDR defeated incumbent Republican Herbert Hoover in November 1932, at the depth of the Great Depression."

Here are a couple of photos nabbed from eBay auctions that are open right now:

nu2u7aju.jpg

yduhyhuz.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Here are some examples of some of the "sayings" glasses. I have most of these in my collection, but these photos are culled from current eBay auctions - it's easier :)

This is a popular theme that goes way back. Graduated shots from 1-4 oz., with pigs usually at the top, and rabbits or ladies at the bottom. Variations may be clowns, etc. Many of these are frosted.

e7u3uvuv.jpg

eze3uhuj.jpg

varymu6e.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
These are some of many available "roving eyes" shot glasses (these are Libby or Anchor Hocking I think). These usually also have brief sayings on the back, so are kind of a cross over.

e4yvy9er.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
These barrels with nested shot glasses were popular in WWII era (occupied I think) Germany. I have several, but none exactly like this.

ete6urag.jpg

ymy3u5ez.jpg

This is what's usually inside. These are mine, purchased recently w/o the barrel.

re7yqejy.jpg

5uqe7ujy.jpg

These also come in small leather cases frequently.

John Galt

Vendor
From 1940's Occupied Japan, Namco, I believe. These are not mine, but they are both in my collection. I get the American Sailor, but who is the other guy?

ahyjusev.jpg

The moving eyeball kind are a favorite of mine. My brother at one time had a pretty big collection of shots, and he has a bunch of those. Also several of the pig ones, and I'm sure the peek-a-boo kind. I had a couple of vintage painted ones myself, including googly-eye ones but I gave them to him years ago because his collection was far more serious than mine. (and I collect enough other @#%&, Lord knows I didn't need to start with something else)

John Galt

Vendor
I believe this one is actually pretty old. I think Pickvet properly places these at the early part of the 20'th century. They are often listed as much newer.

patuteja.jpg

Here's another.

vy3yve6e.jpg

There are four in this set, I think, and a similar set, all barrel shaped. The other two in this set are a rooster & a bull , I think.

The give away is the hand painting and two shades only, black & red. These are all in Pickvet's books.

Here's another set, but not barrel shaped. Note the prohibition tie in.

9e4ugy3u.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
There are lots of these. I don't like them personally. They are in Pickvet's books and are older than you think - I can't recall exactly.

ude6ajuq.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Figural boots are popular and date back over 100 years. There is a German or Austrian tradition associated, I believe. Most are clear, but I saw this green beauty on eBay today. First I've seen like this.

2ezasysu.jpg

I have one circa 1904 in cobalt blue. Didn't dig it out.

John Galt

Vendor
These depression era shots are often seen w/o the pump & appetizer tray, but in context you can see the band is not just ornamental.

ude9enyz.jpg

u6e7y5uj.jpg

This style is less frequently seen, but I think more aesthetically pleasing.

seru7aba.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
The moving eyeball kind are a favorite of mine. My brother at one time had a pretty big collection of shots, and he has a bunch of those. Also several of the pig ones, and I'm sure the peek-a-boo kind. I had a couple of vintage painted ones myself, including googly-eye ones but I gave them to him years ago because his collection was far more serious than mine. (and I collect enough other @#%&, Lord knows I didn't need to start with something else)

I rarely find much of interest that I don't already have anymore, but I do buy the brilliant cut glass & EAPG patterns if I can get them at a good price. They are very collectible because they are sought after by other (general glass) collectors to complete sets. The google eyes are fun.

John Galt

Vendor
Beautiful! I have one or two of the checkered pattern in a box somewhere, but I really like the Art Deco set! Thanks for contributing. Anyone else?

"Faint hat never won fair lady"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch