Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Shot Glasses

John Galt

Vendor
I used to have a shot in every glass, but it was not feasible as my collection grew. I do use them from time to time, but I am more of a mixed drink guy than a shot guy. I'd like to start a bar someday where I could display the collection, but that's not likely to happen. I'm frankly glad that anyone else can enjoy them. I started to try to sell some of them off, but I just can't sell 100 year old stuff for pennies, and that's what most people want to pay. I enjoy them still, and I am glad to have a place to share them. If folks are interested, I can start a more detailed narrative of the most rare items. The EAPG and Brilliant Cut Glass pieces are the coolest, and I've really only just shown a few.

Incidentally, any shot glass collectors among us may note that I have not posted any "pre-prohibition" thin-walled shot glasses, which are very collectible and expensive. The reason is that I am a value collector, and never wanted to spend the money on such items, choosing instead to focus on earlier items and later items that could still be had at good prices. So, I have only a few whiskey sample glasses of the type that are commonly called "pre-pro." Sadly, I was right, and a lot of my collection is now valued at much more than what paid. Depression glass used to sell for a buck or two at yard sale, but is now much more, and found only at antique stores.

"Faint hat never won fair lady"

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
i have a ton of old shot glasses that I bought before I really understood the market or realized what is really unique. For example, I have some "bulls eye" shot glasses that are 100+ years old, but that no one wants to pay more for than a brand new shot glass is worth. These heavy glass shots are so much more in terms of weight, style and history than a modern shot glass, I'd rather hold them for the rest of my life than sell them for a dollar.

ChrisT

One of the Regulars
I had 6 of them
GEDC4438.JPG
only two remain

John Galt

Vendor
Very collectible jazz glasses, but the images remind one of blackface movies and might perhaps be seen as offensive. At any rate they are a glimpse into history. Is there a maker's mark on the bottom?

John Galt

Vendor
My best guess as to era is 20's to 30's based on the motif & coloring pattern. It's got a jazzy & Art Deco sensibility.

ChrisT

One of the Regulars
John, I'm lucky and I just find the same set.
BUT I don't have the bottle in it.
May you make a picture from your bottle (if possible next to a ruler)

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Last edited:
I know this thread is old....but I like keeping content together.
I wasn't aware of this thread before so I'm glad you resurrected it with your McKee.

My interest started with pre Prohibition era shots, shakers & barware. Now that I'm aware of this thread I will try & take some better pics, but here is a pre Pro shot glass cropped from another recent pic.

IMG_6863.jpg

What's left of Old Perkin's Rye Whiskey is now part of High West Whiskey in Utah.

I also enjoy collecting "Rumpus Room" (pre man cave era) shots & rocks glasses of the 1950's made by Federal Glass & Libbey Glass. I concentrate on the Sportsmen series, Upland Game Bird series, & the Atomic, Sputnik & Amoeba series.

IMG_7303.JPG

More recently I've become interested in early thin glass, drawn over mandrel (DOM) flutes & shooters.

IMG_7301.JPG

IMG_7302.JPG

All of mine are frequently put to good use.

3fingers

One Too Many
Reactions: MK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana