Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Silhouettes Custom Hats - Official Affiliate Thread

Ybor City Dave

New in Town
I had the distinct privilege of meeting and breaking bread with Art when he came to Tampa to visit family over the Thanksgiving holiday. He is a true old style gentleman as well as an exceptional millenery artist. I hope the rest of you folks get to meet him and I look forward to seeing him again. I'm looking at a featherweight next to deal with our Florida heat. Just say no to Borsalinos!!!

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
I'm so happy. Art has come up with another great hat (IMHO) that I love wearing for the past 2 days.

1907347_10203806146857766_8101324570058518472_n.jpg

philosophy101

A-List Customer
It is my privilege to share with you all some photos of my first Art Fawcett/VS fedora!

I first want to thank all of you who have previously posted photos of your Art Fawcett creations on the FL. I’d have never heard of Art Fawcett/VS had it not been for the FL, and I don’t think I'd have been able to figure out what I wanted without the benefit of all of your shared experience. Especial thanks to Nik (Rabbit) for his painstaking curating of others’ photos, as well as his meticulously photographed color comparisons of his own VS collection.

Art was a pleasure to work with, and is a gentleman of the highest standing.

I chose to go with the Pecan beaver felt, standard weight (no light weight available), two inch under-welted brim. The finished hat is a much lighter shade than I had expected from the swatches—and I’m delighted with it! The color is very versatile, and seems to go well with almost anything.

Art sent me four photos of the completed hat body, each with a different ribbon color choice. I ended up going with Art’s first suggestion, what I would call a dark charcoal (I don't know what Art calls it). The charcoal has a hint of a dark navy cast to it. Art chose to go with a contrast stripe in (what to my eye looks like) silver with a slightly greenish cast to it.

I don’t know what the open crown height is (Art?), but as creased, the frontmost part of the crown is four inches tall, as is the back. I ended up creasing it into a sort of “long V” diamond with an inner “dome.”

Art got the fit absolutely spot on with his conformer system. Consequently, it's the most comfortable hat I’ve ever worn.

Thank you, Art, for your magnificent work!

(I've never tried to post photos before, so I hope I've done it right.)

Last edited:

philosophy101

A-List Customer
P.S. The above-posted VS Pecan photos seem to be of a lower resolution than the originals. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to post full resolution pics--if anyone can explain to me how to do it! (I'm a photo-posting neophyte, obviously.)

philosophy101

A-List Customer
Thanks, gtdean48, for your comment. I'd love to have a ArtLight, too!

g.durand and emigran, I'll admit that, yes, I am already thinking about what the next one will be!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy