Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Silhouettes Custom Hats - Official Affiliate Thread

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Art made me a great traveling hat out of that 1952 felt in something close to his moss green. I promise to post pics sometime soon.

The thin felt rolls up well.

Hope I'm not threadjacking...

I hope I'm not threadjacking, but I have a question. From Mr. Fawcett's website, and from what I've read about his work on these threads, I see that he sends out a conformateur to ensure proper sizing. You use the conformateur and send it back.

Does he really send out one of those Medieval-looking steampunk torture devices? Those things can't be cheap and I can't imagine him shipping it through the mail. There's a guy on Etsy who'll make you one for $4,500.00! Or is there some other, more "portable" methodology that is used?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I felt like Little Alex in A Clockwork Orange when I put it on. It gets the job done, though. My VS is the best-fitting hat I own.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I hope I'm not threadjacking, but I have a question. From Mr. Fawcett's website, and from what I've read about his work on these threads, I see that he sends out a conformateur to ensure proper sizing. You use the conformateur and send it back.

Does he really send out one of those Medieval-looking steampunk torture devices? Those things can't be cheap and I can't imagine him shipping it through the mail. There's a guy on Etsy who'll make you one for $4,500.00! Or is there some other, more "portable" methodology that is used?

Thanks in advance.
IMG_2652A.jpg

emigran

Practically Family
it's easy to use BTW... just put it on where you would like your new lid to sit and tighten up the tabs... All 6 of my VS are perfect fit...

Well that's pretty cool and a lot less intricate than the other conformateurs. Shoot, if I could put my paws on one of those, I could make my own custom blocks for storage. Any ideas where he got it?

AMGbullitt

Familiar Face

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Resizing a '60s Borsalino

I've sent this 1960s Borsalino . . .

100_1166.jpg 100_1167.jpg

. . . to Art for an upsizing from 6 7/8 to 7. I was hoping for a narrower ribbon, but he tells me there's a definite line of fading where the old ribbon has been for ~50 years. So, same width; I'm hoping he can do me a dark blue ribbon with some of his signature trim; and I'll have a charcoal hat I don't have to wedge onto my head!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I called Art today for a quick hello and update on the new shop and his upcoming summer line of hats. Art casually mentioned he is ready to ship one of my Monticristi straws back. "What hat?" I asked. Art said it was one of the 5 hats I sent him (all have since come back) for a clean and block. Well, this excellent hat was in pretty poor shape, and actually had the brim edge coming unraveled, with some splits. Filthy too. When Art got it, he said it was probably not salvageable. Well Art, a true craftsman he is, worked his "Art". Pretty soon he'll be sending back a hat restored, which was originally deemed a goner. So I guess I'm getting a "new" old hat back that I forgot all about. Stay tuned and we'll see how it looks when it comes back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points