Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Silhouettes Custom Hats - Official Affiliate Thread

Let me take full advantage of being new here, accompanied by nearly total ignorance and jump in to ask if there's any mark on/in a VS fedora that indicates the felt quality described on the site? Or is that an in-person thing, where you have to know what you're doing and have the hat in front of you?

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Let me take full advantage of being new here, accompanied by nearly total ignorance and jump in to ask if there's any mark on/in a VS fedora that indicates the felt quality described on the site? Or is that an in-person thing, where you have to know what you're doing and have the hat in front of you?

Welcome, Gargs.
Reformulate your question, please. Are you interested in the differences between the beaver felt, the rabbit felt, and the nutria/rabbit blend?

Art sources his felts from Winchester who regularly offer the rabbit felt and the beaver felt - those are not specific to VS hats, actually many U.S. hatters use them although not necessarily in all dyes, of course. What's a VS special is the lightweight beaver felt, and the nutria blend which is a tougher, slightly heavier felt. The top-shelf beaver/mink/ermine blend is also a VS recipe.
Knowing the differences between felt types is indeed a matter of experience (including how the felt will react to use and abuse) and cannot be substituted by "book knowledge", if that's what you mean. At the same time, it's nearly impossible to classify felt quality by felt contents alone.
The Winchester beaver felt is a safe bet. The lightweight beaver is as close to vintage felt as you can get. The rabbit felt is more inexpensive, but still makes a perfectly decent hat.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcomes and the responses.
Rabbit, I was referring to the four choices of felt offered on the site: Joey, Nutric (I think), Century and Legacy with the costs ranging from $275 thru over a thousand and whether there is any way, when looking at a hat say on ebay, to know which of the four was used. "The Danes" response that the maker (Art) provides the original owner with a certificate makes sense. That said...
I have a beginners knowledge of the difference between the usual hat materials (though the XXXetc. thing appears to be a floating concept), though certainly need a lot more hands on experience than i have. But I think the world of fine hats is about to open itself to me and I'm looking forward to the experiences.
Thanks again for the replies.

Orangehaggis

New in Town
I haven't trolled the depths of FL, so I apologise if the following question was asked and answered elsewhere. Does Mr. Fawcett make homburgs with the traditional 'kettle curled' brim? I had a look through the VS customer galleries, but there was nary a curled brim in sight.

Orangehaggis

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Yes Sir, I do , however, my Homburg flange collection has some holes so I would ask for your size first and discuss details before committing to a commission. So few Homburgs are ordered that it wouldn't serve so feature them.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Belanger1.jpg Belanger2.jpg

Woohoo, I tried "Camel" ribbon on this and I really like the result. I sure hope the client likes it too. :)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I sure hope the client likes it too. :)

I wouldn't worry, I know for sure there would be another buyer for that one "out there", Art ;)

Please don't recieve this as a "dissing" of your earlier milans, but I really think you have made great progress in this field lately. Very neat and even braid-sewing ... beautiful! :eusa_clap

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you Ole, like anything else, serious practice makes a difference. Most would have heart failure to see what I have gone through in terms of materials in this ( i have "practice" hats everywhere in different stages) . I've discovered it's not just the machine, or the straw, but rather the "feel" that makes all the difference. Making these is akin to playing an instrument with nuances I never would have imagined. I will be learning for some time to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR