Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Spade Sole Shoes

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those are just overwhelming in their perfection.

Marc Chevalier said:

Not mine, but they must be seen to be believed!

Deadstock, from the 1930s. American. Brown kip suede with brown calfskin piping. Incredible!

e96.jpg

Nice Vass, Shooman.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

Kip suede is "snuff" suede?...please advise.

I love the delicate piping... the look the spade sole gives the shoe but more than anything the finish...the "waist" that you find only on bespoke shoes at USD1000 + these days.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
cookie said:
Kip suede is "snuff" suede?...please advise.

In this context, kip means the untanned hide of a calf, lamb, or other young or small animal. Perhaps inaccurately, the shoebox says "Brown Kip Lace Oxford."

On this pair of shoes, the so-called kip leather has a look and texture that is very similar to "nubuck": top-grain cattle rawhide leather that has been sanded or buffed on the grain side, or outside, giving it a slight nap.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Or cowboy boots.;)

Yeah that is why I am going to have some of my spade sole shoes copied in Bangkok soon by one of the famous cowboy boot makers that have been making them for the Middle East oil workers since the 70s. They still use the spade sole on the cowboy boots with the beautiful finished 'waist' like Marc's pix.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My new favourite shoes, courtesy of Cookie

I dig those white brogues, Gene!

My good mate Cookie has sent plenty of great pairs of shoes my way, and here are the daddies of 'em all. Crosby Square spade soles, deadstock:

IMG_2640.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2637.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg

Many thanks Cookie, these shoes are a real gem!

Time for me to head off to Melbourne for the next couple of days, catch you all on the weekend!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Those Crosby Squares...

Are to die for!! My goodness, those are just beautiful. Where on earth did you manage to dig those NOS beauties up...?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
NOS Crosby Squares as they were posted

Those shoes have been given a big Pecards bath but were and are perfect. They came (not surprisingly) from some woman in Philadelphia. Don't ask me why they were not dry and brittle. Fact is they were perfect in every way.

Here was the original eBay photo:

Benny, thanks for those photos...they are a wonderful addition to the Fedora Lounge corporate (vintage US shoes) knowledge.

Anyone want to date them?

The Shooman

Practically Family
These old Crosby spade shoos are AMAZING!!! Double machine stitched soles, hand welted and hand lasted, and even the sole at the waist is stitched by hand. Some of the best constructed shoos you will ever see, better construction than many of the upper end shoos.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, Benny, those Crosbys are BUILT. Fantastic looking! You must be thrilled.

And the only thing better than the fact that they are NOS is that you are actually wearing them as they were intended. Good for you! :eusa_clap

Excellent !

These shoes are terrific looking. Where can a guy look to find vintage shoes, in size 10.5 or 11 EE. Are there any specific places where you guys shop on line?

Any help on the subject?
Thanks

Benny Holiday said:
I dig those white brogues, Gene!

My good mate Cookie has sent plenty of great pairs of shoes my way, and here are the daddies of 'em all. Crosby Square spade soles, deadstock:

IMG_2640.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2637.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg

Many thanks Cookie, these shoes are a real gem!

Time for me to head off to Melbourne for the next couple of days, catch you all on the weekend!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch