Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Stetson Boss Raw Edge

billmcc56

New in Town
I need help identifying my grandfathers hat.

Attachments

• stetson 1.JPG
    stetson 1.JPG
    485.1 KB · Views: 510
  • stetson 2.JPG
    stetson 2.JPG
    547.8 KB · Views: 502
  • stetson 3.jpg
    stetson 3.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 598
  • stetson 4.jpg
    stetson 4.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 567
  • stetson 5.jpg
    stetson 5.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 602
  • stetson 6.JPG
    stetson 6.JPG
    967.3 KB · Views: 535
  • stetson 7.JPG
    stetson 7.JPG
    1,006.9 KB · Views: 515
  • stetson 8.JPG
    stetson 8.JPG
    959.7 KB · Views: 527
  • stetson 9.JPG
    stetson 9.JPG
    934.7 KB · Views: 493
  • stetson 10.JPG
    stetson 10.JPG
    840.4 KB · Views: 476
I need help identifying my grandfathers hat.

Wow! I’ll let the real experts give you a full account, but wow! This is a Stetson Boss Raw Edge from the early part of the 20th century. “The Fray” indicates a special sweatband process that one of Stetson’s employees, Mr Fray, came up with. There are dedicated threads here on the Lounge for both the hats and for The Fray.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/join-the-fray.47780/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/pre-1940s-stetson-westerns.42532/

I really don’t know much about these hats as they are very rare in my size. Hang on a few minutes and some truly knowledgeable folks will be along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Brent is fast! Those threads have all you’ll need on the hats. These hats are great finds!

I sent you a quick message, over on the “conversation” part of your profile.

Daniel

Kane

One of the Regulars
That’s really nice. Do you know if your grandfather bought the hat new from E.W. Mellon in North Carolina?

Btw, if you measure the inside of the hat from front to back and side to side that will give you an idea of the size.

billmcc56

New in Town
Yes, in Charlotte NC. Inside of the hat from front to back and side to side measures 8 1/8 x 6 3/4 inches

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
This is indeed a very special hat, and given those dimensions atypically large for the time this was made. You will have many people interested in this piece.

If the sweatband is pliable you can carefully roll it back and check for any additional tags or markings behind, but proceed with caution. Typically a red multi-celled tag was used by Stetson during this timeframe, in addition to a brownish-orange tag. The red tag should include the hat size dimension.

Edit: This should be located towards the rear of the hat, just off to the side of the back bow and seam.

Again, great hat!

Just Daniel

One Too Many
That’s a fair assessment. Definitely look to see if their are reorder tags, but be super careful. The leather is 100 years old. Determining the size is important.

PS Since the hat is for sale, will this discussion move over to the other classified post?

This is indeed a very special hat, and given those dimensions atypically large for the time this was made. You will have many people interested in this piece.

If the sweatband is pliable you can carefully roll it back and check for any additional tags or markings behind, but proceed with caution. Typically a red multi-celled tag was used by Stetson during this timeframe, in addition to a brownish-orange tag. The red tag should include the hat size dimension.

Edit: This should be located towards the rear of the hat, just off to the side of the back bow and seam.

Again, great hat!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hey bill:
I’ll say this. Be prepared for a barrage of PM offers to buy and trade.
Because that is one hell of a rare hat!!
It is probable one of the nicest i’ve seen on the lounge in terms of condition and that sweatband looks perfect!!
Welcome to the lounge and enjoy the show. You started with 4th of July fireworks fella!!!
Be well. Bowen

Ps: Grandpa had some hella taste in hats. Hope he left you some more.

billmcc56

New in Town

Again, great hat!
7 5/8ths

Just Daniel

One Too Many
From the reorder tag? Whew. That is a big size for the era. The big-headed fellows will be thrilled.

If your measurements in the Classifieds are good, it fits a snug 7 1/2. From the stubby sweatband ribbon, silver foil store imprint and Fray stamp it could be 1910-1920, perhaps the decade before. Pretty special stuff.

billmcc56

New in Town
Thanks for all the great info,replies and offers!! My grandfather would be so happy.
I have received multiple offers and in all fairness, I will ask for your highest and best offer by 5:00 pm EST tomorrow March 15th

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass